Christmas Ten Thirteen Style

Rate this topic

ethsnafu

Choose your festive treat!  

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi guys,

I love How the Ghosts Stole Christmas stole Christmas too Model. Good old festive fun. Wonderful performances by Edward Asner and Lily Tomlin and it goes kitsch mad with final scene of Mulder and Scully opening the Christmas presents they said they weren't going to give each other (shippers swoon in unison at this point methinks). A great Christmas episode.

Eth

• Like 1

Well folks I watched The Ghosts Who Stole Christmas and, for some reason, I recalled it being a very funny episode and yet I didn't really enjoy it at all yesterday. It doesn't hold up at all against "Midnight of The Century" as a festive episode of a series although, I accept, they were playing to a very different audience. There was far too much "Mulder and Scully really like each other" subtext to whole episode, in fact the ghost story seemed very much tacked on to the main theme which was Mulder and Scully's unrequited love. I was surprised by the ending which saw our too protagonists lying on the floor, their lives (supposedly) ebbing away in pools of blood pretty much standing up and walking away, realising it had all been a big con, in the space of about thirty seconds and rather than have them discussing what occurred for a slice of that believer vs sceptic stuff we love from the pair they ended up at at Mulder's to exchange presents and go all coy and unrequited again.

I really wanted to LOVE this episode (I love festive anything) - can anyone explain what I am missing?

Eth

• Like 1

Guest RodimusBen

Darlene, you're no longer the only person who voted for Omerta. Much as I love both Millennium Christmas episodes, I find myself watching Omerta more because it's just a fun episode. It's like wrapping yourself in a warm blanket, with the good feelings that the episode emanates.

Right Omerta fans, time to show some love for the episode.

I have just posted our first official Christmas Blog post over at BTFB (it's Christmas all the way for us now with a whole week of festive events to look forward to from Monday) and it happens to be our latest video review of Omerta. If you guys want to see what Doug thought of the episode head on over here and let him know what you think of his review and any thoughts or feelings you have on the episode itself.

So I guess it's an official Merry Christmas to you all from BTFB.com :kissypoo:

Eth

Well folks I watched The Ghosts Who Stole Christmas and, for some reason, I recalled it being a very funny episode and yet I didn't really enjoy it at all yesterday. It doesn't hold up at all against "Midnight of The Century" as a festive episode of a series although, I accept, they were playing to a very different audience. There was far too much "Mulder and Scully really like each other" subtext to whole episode, in fact the ghost story seemed very much tacked on to the main theme which was Mulder and Scully's unrequited love. I was surprised by the ending which saw our too protagonists lying on the floor, their lives (supposedly) ebbing away in pools of blood pretty much standing up and walking away, realising it had all been a big con, in the space of about thirty seconds and rather than have them discussing what occurred for a slice of that believer vs sceptic stuff we love from the pair they ended up at at Mulder's to exchange presents and go all coy and unrequited again.

I really wanted to LOVE this episode (I love festive anything) - can anyone explain what I am missing?

Eth

I know for myself that it's because it doesn't have the mystery when I watch it now,unlike the first time I saw it.

You're no doubt right Model, if you know that M&S will be fine and dandy by the end of the episode then it does dilute it fair deal. I think the problem for me was that it was one of those muddy memories we have of having watching something 'incredible' only to find it was good but we had embellished our memories a little to make the recollection seem better. I guess I was dismayed with regard to how little spookiness there was in a Christmas Ghost Story (which is just begging to be brilliant from the get-go) and how much time was given over to M&S and their continuing will-they-won't-they thing. It's Ten Thirteen so, of course, it's fantastic television but it isn't as good as I thought it was.

Eth

PS Midnight of the Century tonight (again) - I never fail to get excited by that prospect!

Right folks,

Big Light have covered the Midnight of The Century week we have been working on at BTFB and I would appreciate it if you guys could help me spread the word. Here's a link to the brief article (which for some reason includes the email signature I use when doing BTFB stuff and makes me look like an uber-nerd-egoist-type lol). If you could just share a link to that article on your Facebook pages maybe, or via Twitter or whatever means you have at your disposal I would be truly grateful. The only place to avoid is the Millennium Facebook Group. Steven is an ardent, and passionate supporter of the campaign but he prefers, quite understandably, to bring BTFB news to his supporters himself (and rest assured he does) so I have written to him separately.

Let's see if we can get a few postcards send right?

Eth