How Much Luck Have You Had Showing Mlm To Others?

Rate this topic

Guest MyDarkSide

• Elders (Admins)

I had one partial success story - I can't understand it but there again I suppose this is the most solid indicator of why Millennium failed to last more than 3 seasons. We're just a dark bunch, a macabre faction of humanity! :ghostface:

My brother and I were having a discussion while I was cutting cheese cubes for the dinner today. We were discussing biologial nuro agents that are found in the wild- that only a tiny bit would kill a person, and you wouldn't know it because by the time someone realized the problem it was too late.

There was a pause and he said. "I don't want to know how you know this- you got it from an agatha christy book, so it must be so, right?" and I shook my head, and said no, Mr G in highschool biology. and he stopped again and he then said. "I didn't hear you tell me this, I don't want to know more...

I - remember things- funny things- and it scares my family sometimes just- how I know this.

Kath

Guest sethdeadwood

Big fat zero in the MM conversion department, but I was a late convert myself, having seen the show for the first time on FX at 1:00 a.m., about 3 weeks prior to the rerun schedule ending. I never taped any episodes because it seemed like FX was in the business of rerunning all of their shows indefinitely. I had never seen X-Files until it started reruns on FX, and ended up seeing about 6 years worth of those eps several times, and just assumed the same would hold true with MM. Once I'd seen them all, I would tape whichever ones I liked the next go round.

So much for that...

Judging by the degree of difficulty those with tapes have had convincing others, you can imagine how far my biblical pantomime and Frank Black impersonation got me.

Now that I have the Season One DVDs, I have hopes of bringing one person over to the dark side over the next few months. They vaguely remember seeing some episode when it was on, and are into the horror genre, so while success is not guaranteed, they are at least open to the possibility.

That will probably be it, as other folks I know have told me "Angel" scares them to death. (He scares me too, but only because I shudder at the thought of how much pig's blood it must take on a daily basis for a vampire to maintain a 250-pound physique.)

Edited by sethdeadwood

Interesting topic.

Five years ago I had a marathon session with a friend from high school who had never seen the show. I screened him Lamentation, Powers, Midnight of the Century, Owls, Roosters, Anamnesis, The Fourth Horseman, and The Time Is Now. (And *maybe* Force Majeure and Jose Chung, but I can't quite remember. It was a long day at any rate.)

His reaction was mixed. He could see the appeal, but I fear the subtlety of the Legion episodes was lost on him. He was confused on why I picked Midnight and Anamnesis. (In retrospect, I should have picked episodes that were immediately accessible, like The Mikado.) He liked the Marburg Virus stuff enough to watch the season three premiere privately. (I left my tapes with him. That's all the extra he watched.) In conclusion... conversion failed. I haven't spoken with him in years, but maybe he'll see Millennium on the shelf and consider buying it.

Now, I'm going to try to convert my parents. My mother likes crime/forensic novels, CSI, Crossing Jordan, and surprisingly, The Dead Zone, so season one shouldn't be too tough a sell. My father will be less inclined to watch Millennium, particularly after viewing the pilot--he has a huge fear of being buried alive. I think I can convince him to stick with it, because he'd probably like season two. (He enjoyed The Da Vinci Code and now he's reading the copy of Holy Blood, Holy Grail, which I gave him.) They both know how important Millennium was to me, and it's not like there's anything else on TV in August that demands their attention.

I've learned that the best way to get someone to invest time in something you like, is by offering them the same courtesy. In my dad's case, it's The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. I'm going to begin reading it next week. ;D

(Note: I might have them skip a few episodes. There's no reason why they need to watch Weeds or Loin Like a Hunting Flame, except to experience the lows of the show. Skip to the good stuff.)

Guest se7en

...though parts of it disturbed me, or were overkill, i think weeds is a strong episode with much to offer. loin is one of the weeker ones and though it has good ideas it was not realized very well.

...it was the only instance where i feel that director David Nutter failed the material whereas with Gehenna he took, in my view, a rather boring/dry script and improved upon it enough, with beautiful direction and directorial choices, that he actually elevated the material and made an episode i enjoy "seeing" more than watching. ....but i drift-LOL!..............

~se7en :ouro:

Guest RJ2000

I haven't converted anybody. However, I keep trying to hammer into people's heads that if they liked "The X Files", they'll like "Millennium".

Maybe it's better to be a fan of a show that's an acquired taste than a popular one. :grin2:

Guest se7en

...millions of xphiles boycotted the show for a while there because they were pissed off that MM stole the x-files day/timeslot and were very afraid, my wife and I included, that the files would be killed on sunday nights at 9-p.m.

....it was all for nothing though as it was that move to sundays that catipulted the show into the top 20 and, for awhile, the top-10.

...ya just never know?

se7en :ouro:

Guest malus

...i have a new 'millennium' convert here at home. i've just started showing MM to my partner. he'd never seen it previously, so it was wonderful to watch the entire first season with him. it was new to him, and gave me the chance to find symbolism, subtleties and themes which seemed to repeat throughout the course of the series.

...without any spoilers, i simply told him before watching 'lamentation' that the whole overall series arc was being turned up to 'broil'. his response to bletch in the basement was priceless, and was amplified when he saw the end of 'paper dove'.

...thus far he is disappointed with season 2 (we're on 'sense and antisense'). he's not fond of the dialogue, and feels that frank's subtlety is gone. he's turning into a big fan of chip j's stories though, which i truly enjoy, since i feel that chip j wrote some AMAZING stories.

...inspired by the virtual fourth season, i wrote a handful of fan-fic 'scriptments', and i'm looking forward to sharing them when we're done with season 3. i can't wait to show him 'borrowed time', which is my favorite MM episode.

j

:ouro:

Guest se7en

.....i hope that he'll enjoy some of the interesting aspects of S2, especially most of the stand alone eps. I'm thinking he'll love Luminary and The Mikado especially! ...but, yeah, overall S2 is not known for it's subtlety......to say the least!-(i often opine that the last batch of S2 eps are about as subtle as being bashed over the head with a sledge-hammer- )

...if he's turning into a Chip Fan then he'll likely get into S3 in a big way. ...once that trip gets started, and yeah it takes a few eps, there is no stopping it. Can't wait for the S3 box set.-(though it looks like i'll be doing just that: WAITING! LOL!)

...GREAT TO HEAR FROM YOU, AND WELCOME!

se7en :ouro: