Chris Carter where is he now?

Rate this topic

Guest Stevo

Possible I suppose. I was wondering if he might not be welcome in tv and film circles for political reasons. Maybe some of the stories in his shows were too close for comfort for some people.

• Elders (Moderators)

I think his minimal involvement in showbiz since the XF TV series ended has probably more to do with having the time and the money to go and do other things. I recall that he bought a plane and got his private pilot's licence; he and his wife bought a second home in Jackson, Wyoming, which is a well-known ski resort; he took part in the recording of his wife's book as an audio-book; he made "Fencewalker", as Walkabout mentioned; started learning to play the piano, and then the drums; went on surfing holidays; went mountaineering.

He was probably exhausted by the time the TV show ended, and maybe he just decided to have a career break - or maybe he wanted to focus on his marriage, because by then he and his wife were mostly living in separate homes (him in Malibu, her in Montecito). They seem to still be happily married after some 20 years, and the two of them were script consultants on a documentary called "Thrive", which you can watch here: https://www.thrivemov...t.com/the_movie. I've watched only the first 15 minutes or so, because it all seemed a bit "woo".

• Like 2

Thanks for the info Libby and Walkabout. I was thinking about the pilot episode of The Lone Gunmen X -Files spin off series. I wonder if it got up certain powerful people's noses?

• Elders (Moderators)

I wouldn't think so, Stevo. From what I recall of internet discussions back when TLG aired, that bit of the plotline of the pilot episode wasn't unique to the show, but had previously occurred in other forms - for some reason, one author that's popped into my mind is Tom Clancy.

I doubt that showbiz companies would bow down to that kind of pressure, if that had happened. Hollywood went through some difficult times during the McCarthy era, so I'd imagine that any outside attempts to influence who they could or could not hire wouldn't be received very well, even now.

Edited to add: I don't know anything for sure, obviously. But I am pretty cynical about big businesses and I think they mostly do whatever they can get away with in order to make money. And if 20th Fox, for example, thought they could make money from a new Chris Carter series, they'd sign him up. Two of the other main writers, Frank Spotnitz and Vince Gilligan, haven't had too much problem getting contracts for new shows, and they were more involved in TLG than CC was.

Isn't Fox owned by Rupert Murdoch? All of his newspapers seemed to back the Iraq invasion after 9/11. Just putting two and two together, probably coming up with five but it's worth a thought.

• Elders (Moderators)

The Murdoch consortium certainly stretches a long way, from the USA to the UK. (I'm not sure whether he still has any current involvemnent in the media in his original country of Australia.)

He is a entrepeneur par excellence, and has shown extraordinary grit and determination in his intent to become a major world media mogul. I really doubt that any organisation or even government could pressure him into doing anything that he didn't want to do.

Maybe the government and someone like Murdoch would be on the same side about an issue like that. He might not need any pressuring. I guess we will never know either way for sure.