Exclusive: 4 in 5 in US face near-poverty, no work

Rate this topic

Earthnut

Some subjects just don't belong in the Donut Hole, and, MLM did show poverty on a number of occasions.

Sad to say that these numbers are rising. This is a very interesting read.

https://news.yahoo.com/exclusive-4-5-us-face-near-poverty-no-123506472.html;_ylt=As.kV9iZVGzymA8GY7hpm.AJVux_;_ylu=X3oDMTJhNXVnMnE1BG1pdANBVFQgMyBTdG9yeSBKdW1ib3Ryb24gSG9tZSBDYWNoZWQEcG9zAzE0BHNlYwNNZWRpYUF0dFdpZGdldHJvbkFzc2VtYmx5;_ylg=X3oDMTFkcW51ZGliBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANob21lBHB0A3BtaA--;_ylv=3

WASHINGTON (AP) — Four out of 5 U.S. adults struggle with joblessness, near-poverty or reliance on welfare for at least parts of their lives, a sign of deteriorating economic security and an elusive American dream.

Survey data exclusive to The Associated Press points to an increasingly globalized U.S. economy, the widening gap between rich and poor, and the loss of good-paying manufacturing jobs as reasons for the trend......................

Either no one saw this, or, it's too depressing of a subject to discuss. Sorry, but I do have to admit, it is somewhat scary, especially considering I'm in the 4 group out of the 5.

For those of you who believe in the Bible, it does say there will be a change of wealth. I'm ready, however, there is a catch. The wealth gain is for serving the Kingdom of God, not serving the self. Sure we would need to pay bills, etc., but the rest would be to help and share with others in need. Guess that raises the big question, "Will the people of God have the character and integrity to handle the mountain of money that will come flooding in?

• Elders (Moderators)

This is a scary subject, and for many it's too close to their own reality. I could possibly write screeds about it, but it would be from the perspective of a Brit, and we have a very different welfare and healthcare system. Also, we don't tend to have the same kind of ethnic divide here because we have a very different ethnic diversity. There are areas of poverty, mostly in the previous industrial areas, and immigrants from all over the world tend to congregate there because housing is cheaper. Some come from previous British colonies, fleeing war and violence; and some come from Eastern Europe, seeking better prospects. It's a very fluid situation, and it's difficult to assess what poverty actually means in the UK.

I think that one of the major issues about poverty isn't about some people not being able to afford "luxury" goods, it's about the lack of certainty. Poverty isn't solely about money, it's about not being sure that in six months time there'll be the money to put a roof over your head or buy enough food. That's something that the wealthy and the middle class don't really understand. Being poor in a poor country is one thing, because everyone else in the same boat. Being poor in a rich man's world is completely different. And psychologically corrosive - especially if what you get told is that all you need to do is get a job. I'm sure I don't need to explain the issues with that stupidity.

• Elders (Moderators)

I have to admit that I only skimmed the article that Darlene linked to. Having had another quick look at it, I can see that there could well be some political aspects, but as a Brit I don't have the advantage of seeing those as easily as someone in the US would. And, I also have to admit, that there's something about the writing style of that article that irritates me, such that I don't want to sit and studiously read every word of it.

We definitely need to keep politics off the board, but I see that in terms of party politics, rather than in terms of what situations people find themselves and what should be done about those. Inevitably, if measures need to be taken to prevent people ending up in poverty, or supporting those that are already in poverty, the decisions will be made by politicians and governments. It is a problem that many Western countries are facing, and I think many governments are floundering in their attempts to improve things.

To try to help bring the subject even more on-topic for TIWWA, one of my courses-on-DVD pointed out that in terms of violent behaviour by young males, one significant factor is where they live. The risk of anti-social behaviour increases in young males living in impoverished areas with little chance of secure employment.

Libby, you are very correct about young males, and their violent behavior, where as young women go down somewhat the same direction, but not as much violence. More prostitution, etc. Desperate people do desperate things.

At the same time we have to remember, there's always been the poor, it's just now-a-days, there's more of them. There are also tons of reasons why, inflation, lack of charity on those who have, personal situations, etc., and yes, government and politics plays its part, but I believe mankind itself is to blame for most of it by giving and always expecting something in return, instead of giving because there's a need.

Beer, I didn't mean to post something political, it's just the poverty in this world is a soft spot with me. It's heart-wrenching to see people suffer.

wait til our population begins to close in on other poverty countries like Africa, China , and India. We are only seeing the tip of the iceburg . The big difference is ours will have guns of all kinds to take what they want and leave bodies in their wake.

Not to mention the toll it will take on our planet's resources. Our precious Earth is basically only able to sustain no more the 6 billion people, we are not over 7 billion, with the numbers rising. Sadly, I also believe Earth will eventually, and may have already started, to resist, in an attempt to bring itself back to as normal a state as it can. As I said earlier, most of mankind, or maybe just the elite, are not only ignoring the poverty issue, but seriously damaging our planet as well. The History Channel did a special titled, "Life After People," showing how the planet would eventually heal itself once we're out of the way, and at the present time, with our over-balance of numbers, we are parasites on this planet.