Dat Hair

Rate this topic

After Season 2 knocked off with Frank Black's hair shot Moses white, I was eager to see a S3 Frank in some strange space, but instead we got these close-cut brown strands... But as the season progressed we saw him shed the pretense.  Alas, after the trauma, his hair was dyed, and in the stress he just gave up trying to maintain its color.

It's a simple premise, but creates continuity watching on the screen. Season 3 was a bit of a reset, but not quite. There WAS a very real life changing event at the end of Season 2, and as much as we can try to cover that up to maintain traction, the treads wear. This is Frank Black we're talking about. A dedicated and brutality honest man. We begin the season with a lie, that everything is okay, and as time goes on we see the conflict more clearly. Both in the ideas on screen and in the motif of Frank Black's white hair.

• Like 1

You know, it took a few episodes in season 2 for me to realize his hair was dyed.   Then I saw, definitely a dye job.    Season 3 I liked it when they settled for the graying look...   Frank was heavier, grayer... more natural.  I think that was done also to help him appear more of a fatherly influence on Emma...

Franks hair was dark for the forst 2 seasons, and then it went completely gray the following morning after Catherine walked off into the woods.

From the guide ~

Frank tells Catherine that during the years of the Black Plague, people gathered their families and retreated to the mountains, allowing them to survive the outbreak. Later, as Jordan sleeps, Catherine listens to a news broadcast, which details the symptoms of the virus. Catherine asks Frank to kill her if she should become infected. Frank counters it would be impossible for him to do so, arguing that if he got sick, he would go off into the woods to die. He then produces the syringe containing the vaccine. He explains that he has already been inoculated, and the syringe contains enough vaccine for one person. Catherine immediately insists that Jordan be given the shot.

Later that night, Catherine wakes experiencing symptoms of the virus. She quietly walks out of the cabin and heads towards the woods. Finding blood on Catherine’s pillow, Frank watches the darkened forest. The next morning, Frank’s hair has gone completely gray. As he holds his daughter in his arms, he experiences internal blasts of static, interspersed with apocalyptic distress calls in many languages. And it is in the cabin that Frank and Jordan remain... alone... and uncertain.

It was a shocking moment in the episode seeing Frank's hair white overnight, but at the same time, very understandable considering what was happening to him.  Losing Catherine or Jordan was  what he feared the most.

There is no scientific evidence that hair can turn white overnight due to some traumatic experience.  However, legend has it that both Thomas More and Marie Antoinette suffered a hair colour change to white the night before their executions.   Curiously, there are no modern reports from death row of this happening.

A condition called alopecia ariata causes the hair shed suddenly, resulting in bald patches. It is thought to be caused by an auto-immune response, where the body's defence system turns on itself. It can be exacerbated by stress, which could account for the association of white hair with terrifying experiences.

But his hair turned white overnight, so they had to leave it gray, otherwise they would have needed an explanation as to why it's back to its original color.

Same episode, "The Time Is Now," at the beginning ~

Thumbnail image 36 from the Millennium episode The Time Is Now.

At the end ~

Thumbnail image 192 from the Millennium episode The Time Is Now.

True.   But, one thing I know, teh show pretty much did what it wanted, LOL!  Benny, no Benny,  super-fast house rentings, inconsistencies..  Season 3 could have started off with Frank back to being dark auburn! LOL  I liked the older look.  The only time it was weird was in the episode seven and one, when Jordan had her birthday party.  Frank almost looked older than his father in law!

• HaHa! 1