Women and Millennium

Rate this topic

Guest Faustus

Guest Faustus

I just browsing the site here and I observed that the majority of users are male. I was wondering if Millennium had a larger male fan base the female, and if so, why. I would be cool to here peoples opnion on this. A couple of posts have already been made about people's partners being introduced to the show, with different results. Also if people had any ideas on why the show attracts more male viewers? Whether it is due to content, themes, etc.

Faustus.

Guest LauraKrycek
Hm... I hadn't really thought of this before.  I, of course, am female, and I've only met three or four people that I know watched "Millennium" to any extent, and two of them are male.  I myself, I suppose, was just intrigued by the storyline, despite my first episode being "Matryoshka" and being quite confused by it because I hadn't so much as heard of the show at all before that very evening.  I've always liked storylines that have those non-mainstream far-out tendencies.  I tried to get my mom to watch the show once; she watched a lot of the Millennium Meltdown Marathon, but in just about every commercial break I had to run from my room to the living room to explain everything to her that had just happened and then run back to my room before it came back on, LOL (I prefer watching my shows alone in my room with the door closed and lights off -- no disturbances, and I can react any way I want to  :tongue: ).  I'd never considered the genders of the fanbase of this particular show.  I noticed that I generally heard of more females who liked TXF; maybe the "tough guys" who liked XF thought this was a "meatier" show and transferred over.  That's what I did; I may absolutely love X-Files, but had MM lasted, that would've been the one for me.

....you'd be surprised how many femaile fans there are. granted the following is not a scientific study but in our near 2-years doing the MM-DVD-PROJECT almost half of our now 128-orders are/were female. specifically: 56-out of-128 orders were female. some i've spoken too are seem to like to visit the various boards and remain anonymous or use usernames that are gender nuetral. my impression was that some were not comfortable with overall male dominance of various boards/chartooms/forums. hopefully that will change here in time??? we'll see. but beleive me,no one was more stunned by the numbers than i when i realized all the female customers we've had!!! i'm not sure exactly "why" i was shocked i just was. maybe it was becuase intitially my wife had or wanted nothing to do with the show. it was not until she had to start helping me with the DVD-PROJECT that she started taking a real interest in it. her appreciating MM was one of the coolest things for me in recent years :love:

~peace all,

se7en :ouro:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anamnesis

I am aware of quite a few female followers of the show, the majority of which simply remain viewers and wish to be nothing else.  If brought to their attention they will participate in polls etc.  I think there were just as many women as men who enjoyed the show, and I doubt that any of the themes would have anything to do with a lack of female veiwers.  Men seem to be more dominent on chat and newsgroups anyway so it would probably explain the apparent "lack" of female participation.

Having said that I could be entirely wrong as there are only 2 big questions in life and they are God & Women

:p

Guest Second Coming
My wife has become a huge fan since she has watched a few episodes with me. I was watching football last night and she came up to me and asked me if we could watch a Millennium episode together. So we started watching and three episodes later and at 12:30 at night she says, "I wish this was like the X-files so I wouldn't be so interested and could just go to sleep." hahaha, I was proud at that moment. She asks all the time to watch it with me.

• 1 month later...
Guest jasminefire
I'm a woman, and since the pilot first aired have been, along with my younger sister, a devotee.  I've only personally kn!5{viduals who followed the show to any extent, and those two were male.  (One contributed a possibly revelatory anecdote of how he was once stranded in an airport and glued to a TV-screened episode with a sizeable pack of similarly entranced men.  Hmmm....)  As with Chris Carter's other offerings, I find the show particularly empathetic of women's roles in society, and that the entire premise questions the status quo is female-friendly.  And Lance Henriksen is a veritable voodoo man... :love:

In all my years of trying to talk to people about the show, 0 females expressed any interest in it or awareness of it. Then again, only about 3 or 4 males have actually heard of the show and have watched it a few times. The general lack of awareness of the show--presently and when it was on--is what I find strange.

• Elders (Admins)

Got to agree with that!

When I mention Millennium, it draws a blank stare.

Then it's "Oh Chris Carter, yeah didn't he do the X-Files?"

I love the X-Files too but Gggrrr :angry:

Angry of Prestayn.

Guest LauraKrycek
I always mention Chris Carter, but then I say "the creator and executive producer of 'The X-Files'" and people clue in then.  Of course, it's usually with either a short and uninterested "oh" or a long oh-that's-why-you-like-it "oh", because pretty much everyone knows I'm the resident X-Phile.  Ah, my poor forgotten past... if only my shows were still on!

Guest The Frenchman

My 2 cents :

My wife is a huge fan of MillenniuM in spite of the "chaotic" broadcast in our country :p