Women and Millennium

Rate this topic

Guest Faustus

• Elders (Moderators)

I did see the beginning of this thread around the time I joined and I've been meaning to try and write something in response. It won't be much today since I'm winding down from having watched three Millennium episodes in a row!

So, just some thoughts:

What I would say is in my experience, women like me (mature, "sensible", etc.) are not used to being part of a group where discussions about science fiction/fantasy/whatever are the norm. I work as a temporary secretary in one particular organisation and in the department I've worked in the most, and where they know me best for being a pretty good secretary, I've mentioned on several occasions that I'm a fan of a particular TV show. OK, that show is actually Buffy - that seems to be acceptable because most people view that show as being just a bit of light fluffy fun (it isn't). I think I'll have to wait a while before I reveal I'm also a fan of Millennium because that will take a good deal more explaining.

I do think it's about the particular environment people find themselves in, and, without wanting to go into any great depth, I think one of the problems women like me find is that we are only too well used to being in environments where the expectations of us is to be mature and sensible people, and therefore not fans of such a dark and violent and strange TV show. I think women have always been part of the audience but not always found a forum where they could participate.

Another area where I'm a fan is of Terry Pratchett books which are often regarded (though more by marketing people, it seems) as being books for "14-year-old boys called Kevin". Pratchett himself remarked when attending his first fan convention how many fans where older females (he's mentioned that on more than one occasion, with a great deal of delight).

If I ever go into this topic at length, it'd have to include my experience when young and finding it a good idea, socially, to hide my copy of "New Scientist" within the covers of "Womans Own".

I'd also really like to know if men experience the same kind of thing - are they also in situations where they too feel reticent about revealing an interest in science fiction/fantasy?

.....i hope this will not be taken the wrong way by some but i've noticed 2-things over the past 2-years: 1)- it "almost" seems like some female MM fans,at least some of the ones i've dealt with,almost seem to be,not embrassed,but a little uncomfortable having others know they are rabid fans. as i've stated before here near half of our customers,over a 2-year period were/are women. and that did,quite frankly shock me. not becasue of any sexist opinions that women could not take in the complexities of the show or bullshit like that but i guess because it never seemed the type of show,for me,that a lot of women would like to watch.

...2)-another more plausible possibility,based on my interactions with female customers,and of course my wife denise,is that some just do not feel the need or the desire to publicly discuss,pick apart,rate eps or seasons,etc.. With the few woman customers that i actually spoke extensively with during the process of doing thier orders i told them all about the abyss and desktop,MOV and of course now TIWWA,and they just did not seem the least bit interested at all. as one said: "i love what i love and that's enough for me. why justify it?"   Hmmmm. if you're inclined that way,whether male or female i guess it's hard to argue with that point.

...the previous was just a few things i've noticed during the project so i thought i'd throw it in the ring. denise,A.K.A "&one" likes reading this board very much and actually plans on posting to scott's new episode-review forum-(damn i wish i'd thought of that! :angry:  :D )-when we start our annual viewing of the full run in order in late april/early may.  we love being able to watch every ep in order,at our own pace,through the endless rerun season. it's now a firmly entrenched tradition!

~peace,

se7en  :ouro:

• 1 month later...
Guest Tammy55

Would have to say a few words about woman and the "womans intuition" and the relavance to the theme of Millennium.

I seem to think women are more "prone" to accept the concept of "seeing" and understand that it is not too far fetched.

For the most part if I say I am a Millennium fan, I get asked if I really understand that show.  I think people want it simple if they watch TV so are suprised I like it.

Women are just as "deep" as men in thinking, but we tend to keep it to ourselves.  Is it because we like to think we can make it on our looks - because men can see better than they can think, so we dont want to confuse them.  Or because letting men think we are not as smart as them gets us to our goals faster with less work.

It is not a comparison as to if more men watch or more women.  The each watch for their own reasons.

Sorry but this woman thinks men like Frank Black are way more sexy than the ones on ER.  mOre depth, more intresting etc....(sorry and shallow moment came over me)

Men want to see depth and gore in real life - try raising a kid and changing diapers.  A mind to form and a little body to care for.

Tam

AMEN!!!!

Before I found this group, the only MillenniuM fan I KNEW was a women!!

I think some women are just afraid to admit they like this show, because we are "supposed" to be sweet, quiet "ladies", and this is a MANS SHOW!!!  BULL!!!

This show seems to be more geard towards women from the very start!  Calamity COULD have just been portrayed as a "hooker", but she wasn't!  We all were shown her other side. Her true self, as a woman trying her best to survive in a "mans world", and provide for her child.  She was a symbol to me.  A symbol of the beautiful, pure loving woman in all of us, ladies, being forced to "sell ourselves" in order to survive in a mans world, then being persicuted, judged, and looked at as worthless ...and finaly consumed by this cruel world.

(Sorry, dark moment there)

Oh, and by the way, I think Frank is the ideal man, too :kissypoo: , and totaly the hottest thing out there, as you can see in the thread "WOMEN WHO FIND FRANK BLACK HOT!"  :love:  :wink:

THIS IS WHO WE ARE :ouro:

ERIN

• 1 month later...
Guest TheSunKing1972

yeah, yeah yeah...I know...I'm a new comer and I'm drudging up all of these old topics.....well people, it's for your own good.

You don't realize yet...what you've been missing before I got here :laugh_big:

I think the reason males are drawn to the show...is well....Lance/Frank just has a natural "coolness" about him.

He is a man's man...... a good man.

Maybe we like it because that's what we aspire to be....and women long to be with that type of man.

I stated in a previous post that he reminded me of my father...and he does, even more so now that my father is gone.

As far as there not being many women fans...I think it's just because they don't know.

The woman fans that I do know....are rabid and I don't think we could leave Lance in a room with them alone.......especially my wife  :sad_big:

Note to Lance: Stay away from my wife :angry_steaming_big:

:plain_big:  :thumbsup_big:  :frank_black:

Guest restingrabbit
I joined a bit ago but have never posted - but I enjoy Millennium very much and I am of the female persuasion. I find the episodes rich in detail and the story lines fascinating. To date I have only seen the first season - I patiently await the series on DVD.

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone, my first post.  Here goes:

Nobody I talk to has ever heard of Millennium, the only person I know of is my Dad's girlfriend, who says she liked it when it was on TV. Then again, I don't tell many people about it as I worry that they'd think its weird for a woman to be a fan of such a dark show.  I used to be a huge Star Trek fan at school, none of my female friends liked it.  One girl asked me to keep it quiet that she was a fan as she didn't want the other girls to know. The 'cool' girls said it was sad, but the 'cool' boys on the bus were fans of the show and openly talked about it.  How does that work?

I definitely agree with  Raven Wolf, we women are stereotyped as genteel creatures who are supposed to swoon over soppy film stars and only ever watch Eastenders and romantic comedies, none of which I'm into.  My mum is very much a fan of the Doris Day films etc, and I think she is somewhat disturbed by my interest in Millennium, as she fails to see beyond the 'gore' to what I appreciate, the intelligent writing and the unusaul (and very sexy!) central character, Frank.  The 'bright centre' CC created in Millennium is very different from the normal detective show, where the heroes are cynical, world weary and - it has to be said - somewhat dull as a result.

Maybe somewhere on a Sabrina The Teenage Witch fansite, there's a secret coven of boys defending their reasons for liking girls TV programmes.

Jorden!  CONGRADULATIONS on a fantstic first post! :yes_big:  :thumbsup_big:  I hope that's the first of many to come.  We are so glad to have another enthusiastic and intelligent woman in our midst! :wink_big:  :makingeyes_big:

On behalf of everyone, let me say....

welcomewhitefeatherangel.gif

:thankx-big:  Thank you!  i'm really flattered.  and it's a lovely picture.  I've only seen the first season; one episode, Siren, from season 2 (a bewildered friend recorded it for me); and the last two episodes from season three that are on the X-files/Millennium video, so my lack of knowledge might hinder me on my posting.  The Lara Means/Lucy Butler stuff is somewhat beyond me. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the Millennium DVD . . .

MillenniuM on DVD?  Look no farther than Se7enAnd1!  I have received the first 2 seasons on DVD so far, and they are fantastic~ :thumbsup_big:   Contact Dave and Denise Barry (Se7enAnd1) for details.

MillenniuM on DVD....The Time Is NOW!

~Raven Wolf