Solway

Rate this topic

As this bit is for real life X-Files type incidents I thought you might enjoy this little gem from the dusty files of England's Almanac of the Dammed.

ihnp-486992thumb.jpg

I've seen the Exorcist and barely flinched, that's 'cos I'm tough as old boots. Maybe, maybe not, but this picture gave me goose bumps.

This will be a familiar sight to most of you. It is an image that divides ufologists as an amiable hoax or quirky apparition. On a mild, Sunday afternoon on 24th May 1964 Jim Templeton took his wife and two daughter for a picnic near the tidal marshes of North Carlilse. It was decided that they should take a picture of five-year-old Elizabeth, holding marsh flowers, for the family photo album. Mr. Templeton claims there was no one else in the area at the time he took his daughters picture, but that he felt a strange 'electrical' feel to the air around him. The alien image only appeared after the picture was developed.

For reasons I have been unable to fathom or uncover, Jim Templeton took this image to the local police who leaked it to the local press, an official investigation was launched and Kodak scrutinised the picture for evidence of a Cottingley Fairies type hoax.

In June 1964 the Templeton's received a visit from the now famous 'men in black' who at the time were not known. These shadowy operatives, in bowler hats, visited the Templeton residence in a large black car. They stated only that they were from Her Majesty's government and proceeded to quiz them in minute detail about the weather on the day of the photograph, the activities of local bird life and other odd asides: it has been suggested that these 'men' were rather eccentric ufologists or village pranksters.

Land Down Under

Not long afterwards the editor of the Cumberland News newspaper contacted Jim and asked if he could ascertain a copy of the negative to send to Australia.The photograph had appeared in the press there and staff working at the Woomera test range area in Southern Australia had seen it. Jim was told that the day after he took his photograph, a Blue Streak space rocket was due to be launched from Woomera in Australia. The countdown was postponed when two automatic survey camera had independently spotted two large figures in the firing area during the countdown phase. They were very similar in appearance to Jim's mysterious visitor. At the time of the launch, the photograph had not reached Australia and the staff had no knowledge of the bizarre image. In a strange development linking these two lands, Jim Templeton discovered that Blue Streak rockets were being manufactured in the UK at Spadeadam, a location several miles away from Burgh Marsh on the Carlisle to Newcastle road at the time he had taken 'Elizabeth and the Spaceman'.

Nobody came up with a credible explanation for the photograph since then. Nobody understands how the supposed being on the photograph was invisible to Jim and his family. That the two places on the planet where these figures have been seen are the two locations pivotal to the Blue Streak missile programme remains puzzling. The visiting "Men in Black" are still not identified.

Even today the picture still defies conventional explanation with the obvious hot air balloon theory being quickly discounted.

Solway Spaceman......

Makes you think dosen't it?

Till then,

ethsnafu

As this bit is for real life X-Files type incidents I thought you might enjoy this little gem from the dusty files of England's Almanac of the Dammed.

ihnp-486992thumb.jpg

I've seen the Exorcist and barely flinched, that's 'cos I'm tough as old boots. Maybe, maybe not, but this picture gave me goose bumps.

This will be a familiar sight to most of you. It is an image that divides ufologists as an amiable hoax or quirky apparition. On a mild, Sunday afternoon on 24th May 1964 Jim Templeton took his wife and two daughter for a picnic near the tidal marshes of North Carlilse. It was decided that they should take a picture of five-year-old Elizabeth, holding marsh flowers, for the family photo album. Mr. Templeton claims there was no one else in the area at the time he took his daughters picture, but that he felt a strange 'electrical' feel to the air around him. The alien image only appeared after the picture was developed.

For reasons I have been unable to fathom or uncover, Jim Templeton took this image to the local police who leaked it to the local press, an official investigation was launched and Kodak scrutinised the picture for evidence of a Cottingley Fairies type hoax.

In June 1964 the Templeton's received a visit from the now famous 'men in black' who at the time were not known. These shadowy operatives, in bowler hats, visited the Templeton residence in a large black car. They stated only that they were from Her Majesty's government and proceeded to quiz them in minute detail about the weather on the day of the photograph, the activities of local bird life and other odd asides: it has been suggested that these 'men' were rather eccentric ufologists or village pranksters.

Land Down Under

Not long afterwards the editor of the Cumberland News newspaper contacted Jim and asked if he could ascertain a copy of the negative to send to Australia.The photograph had appeared in the press there and staff working at the Woomera test range area in Southern Australia had seen it. Jim was told that the day after he took his photograph, a Blue Streak space rocket was due to be launched from Woomera in Australia. The countdown was postponed when two automatic survey camera had independently spotted two large figures in the firing area during the countdown phase. They were very similar in appearance to Jim's mysterious visitor. At the time of the launch, the photograph had not reached Australia and the staff had no knowledge of the bizarre image. In a strange development linking these two lands, Jim Templeton discovered that Blue Streak rockets were being manufactured in the UK at Spadeadam, a location several miles away from Burgh Marsh on the Carlisle to Newcastle road at the time he had taken 'Elizabeth and the Spaceman'.

Nobody came up with a credible explanation for the photograph since then. Nobody understands how the supposed being on the photograph was invisible to Jim and his family. That the two places on the planet where these figures have been seen are the two locations pivotal to the Blue Streak missile programme remains puzzling. The visiting "Men in Black" are still not identified.

Even today the picture still defies conventional explanation with the obvious hot air balloon theory being quickly discounted.

Solway Spaceman......

Till then,

ethsnafu

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

maybe a fencer who has lost his epee? a cricketeer who lost his balls? just kidding to keep from screaming....another good post ethsnafu....you da man..

My brother believes he has solved this riddle. He is the last bastion of occult thinking, conspiracies and forteana. His rather stunning solution is below. And yes, he does drink a fair bit of lager........

post-1185-1117398060_thumb.jpg

My brother believes he has solved this riddle. He is the last bastion of occult thinking, conspiracies and forteana. His rather stunning solution is below. And yes, he does drink a fair bit of lager........

post-1185-1117398060_thumb.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

by george, hes done it, hes solved the mystery..lol

• 1 month later...
Guest Sanitarium

I think Stay Puff had to be in New York that day so it kind of rules him out.

To me it looks like a guy standing behind her in a suit, maybe 20 feet away. Isn't it convenient that her head covers half his body up?

Events like this are so easily faked by people to get attention then years later the truth comes out, Loch Ness photo anyone? Though this photo isn't as famous as the Loch Ness one was so if it was faked we may never know. Or maybe it really was Stay Puff.

Now... there are people here... "Selfosophy Psycho" for one... who know that I'll beleave just about anything, but this even makes ME wince. You'd think if someone was going to make a fake photo, they'd put more effort into it.

Think UpBeat thoughts, lads! Mr. StayPuff will never let ya down! :tongue::tasty::wtf:

Guest Sixpence

ihnp-486992thumb.jpg

Land Down Under

Solway Spaceman......

Till then,

ethsnafu

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream"-Poe

Sixpence :ouro: