Russian Exorcism Link

Rate this topic

HighPlainsDrifter

Guest Benocles

Friends,

I absolutely believe in possession. As a Christian, it exists in my worldview and I have done a great deal of study to reaffirm this. There will always be a 'tremendous amount of charlatans', but to be fair, that's in every profession. Such is life, unfortunately. It all comes down to a mixture of faith, naturally, and personal research. I've come across many cases of false possessions, but some (I believe) are the real deal. I believe those acts of possession and exorcism in the New Testament are both reliable and authentic cases. I say this not just as a Christian, but as a history teacher (and student, for we always keep learning… lol). Also, as I state in my essay which appears in AMERICAN EXORCIST (https://www.mcfarlandpub.com/book-2.php?id=978-0-7864-3597-5), "In his book In the Name of Jesus: Exorcism Among Early Christians (2007), Twelftree writes that exorcism was well known in the ancient world, including first century Palestine, as evident in textual sources such as the Qumran scrolls (particularly 11Q5 (11QPsa) 27.9-10), the apocryphal book of Tobit, the writing of Jewish historian Josephus (The Antiquities of the Jews 8:45-49 and The Wars of the Jews 7.180-185), the New Testament (particularly the Gospel according to Luke 9:49 and Acts 19:13-19), the magical papyri (Papyri graecae magicae), and in the writing of Justin Martyr (in Dialogue with Trypho) (36)".

Outside the Bible, in his fascinating book, An Exorcist Tells His Story (1999), Father Gabrielle Amorth speaks of some cases that appear legitimate. At the moment, I am investigating this: https://www.newoxfordreview.org/article.jsp?print=1&did=0308-gallagher, but not sure if it's the real deal yet. There are many more, but all my books are at home and I am abroad at the moment.

Edited by Benocles

Since it's just a recording on the net, I don't put too much stock into it. The Russian newscast didn't convince me either. I am curios about how many Eastern Orthodox churches survived all those years of Godless communism. If fact, I wonder what this priest was doing, say 35 years ago?

While it's ignorant to say that all of psychology is demons, I am sure that evil exists in some of the real sickos.

• 1 year later...