Your opinion Of 'Harsh Realm'

Rate this topic

Guest ___ L@the_of_Heaven___

RavenWolf do you mind if I ask generally what you yourself and any of the others here thought about 'Harsh Realm' as a series. Just opinions basically about what you thought of it in general.

I haven't watched it beyond the Pilot Episode and I just wanted to ask you more seasoned people (red pepper, oregano, and just a touch of jalapeno : ) what you all think of the series as a whole. Do you think it's worth watching all the episodes? What was your general impression? Does it even hold up AT ALL to the XF and MM? I would ESPECIALLY like to know what YOU think RavenWolf if you wouldn't mind sharing that with me.

............ Thank you!

................................ L@the

Since Ravenwolf isnt around i will give you my opinon. I didnt care too much for it....it was cool seeing Sarah-Jane and Terry O'Quinn on the show. If i remember right Lance also made a cameo. It had a cool premise but for some reason it didnt catch on with me.

Since Ravenwolf isnt around i will give you my opinon. I didnt care too much for it....it was cool seeing Sarah-Jane and Terry O'Quinn on the show. If i remember right Lance also made a cameo. It had a cool premise but for some reason it didnt catch on with me.

Thank you for your comment Joe; you're probably right. I remember that I was kinda let down after I saw the pilot. After seeing the way the story worked itself out I remember thinking that I felt that it couldn't really go much of anywhere; in other words it struck me as not being very open ended. I don't know, maybe I should at least go back and give it another try, but it seemed pretty dang shallow after the XF and MM.

For the most part I liked it [bought the dvds] I just think it needed more eps to develope further. Maybe its because it all starts with a government conspiricy and since I work for the government its always a good place to start!! :rofl:

Thank you 'Walkabout'; I appreciate your taking the time to answer!

Guest Laurent.

It's good to see some action in the Harsh Realm forum, since it's the only place I seem to post... *but be aware that I read every other post you may make :devil: *

For what it's worth.. my opinion was that Chris Carter seems to have been the only writer of the show to really understand what this show could have been, maybe with the exception of John Shiban who wrote a great episode called Manus Domini. But since four of the show's nine were written by CC we didn't get to judge a lot of the other writers... like Vince Gilligan and Darin Morgan who were both preparing something for the show and are two of my favourites 1013 writers. Now, four great episode by CC and one great by John Shiban makes a total of five great episodes on nine.. and all these episodes are dealing with the *mythology* of the show. The four others were pretty much stand alone and were pretty dull in my opinion (dull by 1013's standards.. it was still good television, way above Stargate or other sci-fi show if you ask me). I'd say that if you like science-fiction show you can't really go wrong with Harsh Realm. The characterisation (or whatever you call it in english) and the interpretation of characters like Pinnochio, Santiago and especially the amazing Inga Fossa makes it worth the try alone.

Now the fact that there's only 9 episodes is quite disappointing since you don't get any closure at all and you can only catch a glimpse of what the show could have been. But I think that this is what I love with the show, through the few mythology episodes it was already clear that this show had the potential to become a grandiose story. It could have been a modern-day science-fiction version of myth like the Illiad and the Odyssey. With at least one full season I can assure you that nobody would have doubted is place next to 1013's masterpiece that are XF and MM.

Finally, just to give you a brief idea... I'd say that Harsh Realm is a science-fiction show full of action (like every good hollywood-made entertainment) but with a portion of the subtle intelligence and symbolism of MM.

It's good to see some action in the Harsh Realm forum, since it's the only place I seem to post... *but be aware that I read every other post you may make :devil: *

For what it's worth.. my opinion was that Chris Carter seems to have been the only writer of the show to really understand what this show could have been, maybe with the exception of John Shiban who wrote a great episode called Manus Domini. But since four of the show's nine were written by CC we didn't get to judge a lot of the other writers... like Vince Gilligan and Darin Morgan who were both preparing something for the show and are two of my favourites 1013 writers. Now, four great episode by CC and one great by John Shiban makes a total of five great episodes on nine.. and all these episodes are dealing with the *mythology* of the show. The four others were pretty much stand alone and were pretty dull in my opinion (dull by 1013's standards.. it was still good television, way above Stargate or other sci-fi show if you ask me). I'd say that if you like science-fiction show you can't really go wrong with Harsh Realm. The characterisation (or whatever you call it in english) and the interpretation of characters like Pinnochio, Santiago and especially the amazing Inga Fossa makes it worth the try alone.

Now the fact that there's only 9 episodes is quite disappointing since you don't get any closure at all and you can only catch a glimpse of what the show could have been. But I think that this is what I love with the show, through the few mythology episodes it was already clear that this show had the potential to become a grandiose story. It could have been a modern-day science-fiction version of myth like the Illiad and the Odyssey. With at least one full season I can assure you that nobody would have doubted is place next to 1013's masterpiece that are XF and MM.

Finally, just to give you a brief idea... I'd say that Harsh Realm is a science-fiction show full of action (like every good hollywood-made entertainment) but with a portion of the subtle intelligence and symbolism of MM.

Hey, thanks Laran! That was really great of you to be so detailed in your comments! I will definitely snag the DVDs (from Netflix, that is - for those of you in The Uk and elsewhere, that's a VERY big DVD rental by mail outfit here) and check them out. I'm really glad to hear about the serious potential of the show since all I've really seen was the Pilot episode and I kinda had the impression that it wasn't really gonna go anywhere; but, I'm glad you added all the information that you did, thanks! :oneeyedwinK

Harsh Realm got better and better as it went on. I really enjoyed it in particular the WWII related episode.

Yes, I think I remember you or someone else here mentioning how they particularly liked the WWII episode; I very much appreciate the input; and hearing that the show improved from the Pilot now really makes me want to see it! Thanks!