Season 2 Trivia And References

Rate this topic

Guest Theo Hiswrae

I do apologize if this has been mentioned, but in Luminary MLM#212 there is a continuity blooper.

As a life-long Alaskan, I couldn't help but notice that the Air Taxi pilot said the sun would set at 4:30 pm. And later the episode showed Frank hauling Alex through the woods in darkness.

However, this is the Land of the Midnight Sun, and we have much more sunlight in the northern latitudes, even in the south-western area of Emmonak.

In June the sun sets at appox. 12:30 AM, while as late as September the sun sets at appox. 9:00 PM. Also, we have a long season of twilight, from Spring throughout Autumn.

Generally MM & 1013 prod. is outstanding in creating convincing settings, either on location or on set, yet this time they missed...

Had they come to Alaska on this occasion, they could have shown how the beautiful twilights of the Midnight Sun can be just as gorgeous as the Northern Lights.

Many Thanks to everyone here for the truly interesting information.

~Theo

:clapping: Thank you for sharing Theo, I didn't know that.

Does Luminary date the episode at all. I can't recall if it does but I happen to think it doesn't. I only ask this because I was reading a table of sunset times for Alaska and noticed that the sun was setting in Alaska at around 16:30 during January around the time the episode was written. Could that be a possible explanation?

Eth

Guest Theo Hiswrae

Hi Eth, thank you very much!

You're right that Luminary doesn't seem to be dated; however, if it were January in that area of Alaska there would be snow.

And such a bright spectacle of the Northern Lights in summer is unheard of, it just doesn't get dark enough. (I'm an insomniac, last night I was out with my dog at 04:00 and it was lighter than the brightest full moon.) :)

Although Frank's breath is visible, meaning it could be between August and perhaps as late as October. Or it could just be a particularly chilly summer night.

Furthermore, the forest that this episode is filmed in looks to be rain forest. Up in Alaska the northern-most tip of the great Western Rain Forest ends in a small town called Girdwood, which is south of Anchorage and hundreds of miles from Emmonak.

We understand that it's easier to film in Canada, and the Vancouver Island area is truly gorgeous.

But we Alaskans often wish that folks who want to portray Alaska to please come here to do it. They will find a warm welcome.

Thanks again, Eth. It's truly refreshing how nice and welcoming the members of TIWWA are.

I appreciate it.

Regards,

Theo

PS: Attached is a photo from my family home in Meadow Lakes, Alaska. Pictured is a summer twilight over Rainbow Lake.

post-4255-010150100 1276305434_thumb.jpg

That is an incredible photo. The area looks so very beautiful. :clapping:

I guess you have to allow them a little artistic licence when all is said and done. It happens all the time in TV. I know when I was watching "Lost" and portions of episodes were supposed to be set in the UK it was evident to me, as a British viewer, that a US location had received a little set dressing. I remember signage in the shots being written in US English, the colours of the number plates were wrong, the architecture was wrong and so on. That said, the rest of the world wouldn't have had much of a clue and would have enjoyed the scene nonetheless.

I'm sure if MM had had the budget and resources they would have filmed "Luminary" in your beautiful state.

Maybe if they make a film eh? :oneeyedwinK

Eth

• Like 1

Guest Theo Hiswrae

That is an incredible photo. The area looks so very beautiful. :clapping:

I guess you have to allow them a little artistic licence when all is said and done. It happens all the time in TV. I know when I was watching "Lost" and portions of episodes were supposed to be set in the UK it was evident to me, as a British viewer, that a US location had received a little set dressing. I remember signage in the shots being written in US English, the colours of the number plates were wrong, the architecture was wrong and so on. That said, the rest of the world wouldn't have had much of a clue and would have enjoyed the scene nonetheless.

I'm sure if MM had had the budget and resources they would have filmed "Luminary" in your beautiful state.

Maybe if they make a film eh? :oneeyedwinK

Eth

Thanks, Eth! I consider myself very lucky to have grown up in a place such as Alaska. Honestly, it's beyond words...

I agree that artistic license must be given in terms of location. Sometimes it's just too expensive. And I have no doubt that if they could have, 1013 would have filmed up here.

As far as the mistakes regarding sunset, etc...It's kind of a game we play up here, noticing a lack of understanding about Alaska's remoteness, size, and seasons...much like you notice when a US location tries to recreate the UK. It's hard to maintain suspension of disbelief when some glaring mistake occurs and you know someone failed to do proper research.

But for the most part I feel the MM and 1013 was incredibly good at getting the little details, the moody minutiae, just right. Thereby drawing us deeply into the plot, and further enhancing the characters.

Once more, many thanks, Eth.

Regards,

Theo

I guess today it wouldn't even be an issue would it? I watched the DVD extras for "X-Files: I Want To Believe" recently and was facinated to see them turn day into night and a clear sky into a snow blizzard. When you watch the film it's barely evident that these were effects shots and you would never have had a clue had it not been pointed out to you in the extras.

I would imagine technological advances have given the production teams these days the ability to set an episode wherever and whenever they want and if the climatic conditions are right they can be edited in later.

Thank you so much for taking the time to point out the discrepancies. It has been a very informative read.

Eth

• Like 1

• Elders (Admins)

Awesome photograph of Alaska, thank you for sharing that with us Theo! I'd love to visit Alaska one day too.

I know what you mean about not using actual locations for filming. One that did get my goat so to speak was in the superb series The Unit, the season 3 episode set in London showed all the cars with US number plates!

Incidentally, the series had Robert Patrick play a superb role, probably his finest to date.

Guest Theo Hiswrae

Theo, the picture is beautiful. More, show us more.

I so would love to visit Alaska someday. :ouroborous:

Thanks very much!

I'll put together an album of AK photos on my profile...check back in a day or 2.

If you ever make it up North, I'd be happy to show you around my wonderful Home grinning.gif

For now, here's a small pic of the Northern Lights above the Iditarod Trail, north of Willow, AK

post-4255-078908900 1277075523_thumb.jpg

Guest Theo Hiswrae

Awesome photograph of Alaska, thank you for sharing that with us Theo! I'd love to visit Alaska one day too.

I know what you mean about not using actual locations for filming. One that did get my goat so to speak was in the superb series The Unit, the season 3 episode set in London showed all the cars with US number plates!

Incidentally, the series had Robert Patrick play a superb role, probably his finest to date.

It's odd to me that with the amazing FX possible that production companies still constantly screw up things as easy as license plates. It seems like some continuity directors are asleep at the wheel. Thankfully, 1013 is particularly good at such things...except I've noticed an inordinate amount of interior sets meant to be darkly dramatic are painted with the same shade of green. A color I've come to think of as MM green. LOL.

Many Thanks! As requested, I'm putting together an album of AK photos.

And as I told Earthnut, and Eth, you're always welcome to visit, I'd be very happy to show you the beauty of my Home!

I've never seen The Unit, but on your recommendation I'll be sure to check it out, and I always enjoy Robert Patrick's work...

Regards,

Theo