so, the promo CDs...

Rate this topic

Hey guys,

Two things, I'm desperately searching for the Millennium & X Files promo scores CDs.

I've got the commercially available stuff including the Itunes Compilation, but would really love some more.

So, any tips on finding these? I'm constantly keeping an eye on Ebay, but is there any other way? Score fan forums perhaps that I don't know of?

Second thing, could somebody please list all the tracks (numbers) from the Millennium promos, which are identical to the ones on the itunes best of album?

I'd really appreciate the help :bigsmile:

Ben

• Elders (Admins)

Welcome to TIWWA if I haven't said it already!

I think you have it covered. It would be great to share such files at TIWWA with other fans but we can't put the site at risk and I don't like being sued!

There is always a chance that someone might contact you, possibly more so once you have been around here for a while and if you are a regular poster.

As for the tracks, the problem is that they were never listed with names or episodes so nobody as far as I know has a listing which they could compare to the retail 'Best of Millennium' CD. I'm not an expert when it ocmes to Millennium and I've always found that there is someone who knows more, in this case I'm sure someone could identify all the tracks by watching and listening to compare them with the episodes buts its a large task.

Welcome to TIWWA if I haven't said it already!

I think you have it covered. It would be great to share such files at TIWWA with other fans but we can't put the site at risk and I don't like being sued!

There is always a chance that someone might contact you, possibly more so once you have been around here for a while and if you are a regular poster.

As for the tracks, the problem is that they were never listed with names or episodes so nobody as far as I know has a listing which they could compare to the retail 'Best of Millennium' CD. I'm not an expert when it ocmes to Millennium and I've always found that there is someone who knows more, in this case I'm sure someone could identify all the tracks by watching and listening to compare them with the episodes buts its a large task.

Thanks Old Man...i had origionally decided to post concerning this topic, but could not really find a way to sugar coat it...i nearly have all of the tracks identified on the promo disc as to which episodes they pertain to, but as you say, there was never an origional issuance of anything more than a generic identifier...give me a bit more time and i will come up with something...i can tell you that there are multiple pieces to Gehenna, Blood Relatives, Lamentations, Force Majure, Powers, Principalities, Thrones, and Dominions, and Maranatha, (to name a few) on the promo...

exit75 - you are correct in that the first 5 or 6 pieces off of the compilation currently available on itunes are also found on the promo disk...HOWEVER, at present, i cant remember just which ones..again, give me a bit of time and i will have something...

4th Horseman...

• Elders (Admins)

Yes indeed, I've listened to this CD many times and you can immediately pick out certain tracks but there are some that can surprise you when you next catch the episode and realise a particular track was used not where you thought afterall. The CD is always a tender subject, perhaps we should formulate an FAQ about it, what it is, where it came from, whats on it and answers to the proverbial question on how to get it. I've read murmours about a Season 2 promo CD, but having never come across it in real life, I can only speculate on its existence, I hope, really hope that it does exist and that it includes full versions of the Midnight of the Century and Luminary themes. Damn Fox to Hades, for not realising 3 full retail CD's!

Thanks for the info guys.

These discs must be extremely rare.

Does anyone know of the purposes of these promotional discs? Perhaps as sort of master versions of the soundtrack when the idea of a soundtrack release was initially being considered?

• Elders (Admins)

If you delve into the archives and in particular the old Multitude of Voices forum you'll see the history. The fact that the disc was to all intents and purposes stolen from the studio (as I understand it) makes it very rare. One of our ex-members of staff procurred a copy on the Multitude of Voices forum and included it with pirated copies of Millennium that were copied from LaserDisc to DVD-R, at the time the only way to get a good quality copy of the series for many dedicated fans before the official DVD's were released. I admit to buying a copy myself at the time and that's how I got my copy of the CD, but they have also been sold on Ebay too, there are old forum posts where people have commented seeing it for sale. It is said Mark Snow was not at all happy about the CD being stolen and duplicated, I don't know if thats true.

As you can see it has a shady history, and people are understandbly coy about sharing it. I'd be very dissapointed to hear of anyone profiting from selling copies of it. I believe Fox should pull their finger out and get this music released and improve the availability of the Best of Millennium E-CD at iTunes and Fox Music Store to other countries.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys.

I know this promo stuff has been discussed to death, but I managed to obtain the s1 promo (won't say where, I know it's sensitive), but I'm unsure if some tracks are corrupt, or in the incorrect order/place. So if anybody has the time to check in future, I'd really appreciate the confirmation that these are correct, I'd muchly appreciate it.

Also, this is for the sake of referencing this here, I'll also work on matching the tracks to episodes (since I have the time while I'm out of uni for the summer :yes:). I'll also compare them with the itunes collection.

I'll describe these as best as I can,

- 01 [3:38]: Long extended Theme tune

- 02 [1:54]: Bang Band start. Mellow background strings, and sole violin "weeping tune"

- 03 [0:55]: Opening Theme tune

- 04 [3:31]: Bang Bang multiple times throughout track, chord changes before each

- 05 [4:59]: Slow background strings fade in, sole cello melody (from 0:50), builds up to squealing & trumpets (around 1:50)

- 06 [3:01]: Bang Bang start, tune loosely & slowly follows theme tune melody

- 07 [7:41]: Strings, and distant sounding "throaty" sounds

- 08 [1:42]: Strings and Choral voice sounds

- 09 [3:20]: Bang Bang start, strings and piano/xylophone playing same tune (from 0:20)

- 10 [4:50]: Harp then cello from 1:00

- 11 [1:45]: strings and harp throughout

- 12 [5:19]: Bang bang, cello and background strings. flute from 0:20

- 13 [3:58]: Band band, low piano & timpani

- 14 [1:00]: Sharp piano, strings hitting. Choral voices in background.

- 15 [5:08]: Slow Strings & Choral voices. Harp from 1:00

- 16 [7:48]: Low sole cello, then background strings come in. Sharp hits & Rumbles at 1:00

- 17 [3:36]: Bang bang, plodding low piano notes, strings on top, plucked strings at 0:30

- 18 [3:27]: Harp, strings & subtle horn. Mainly major/positive tune.

- 19 [1:45]: bang bang, goes into slow weepy violin tune "sawing" like sound effects in background

- 20 [1:25]: Similar to 19, but different. Begins with single high pitched hitting sound. Basically like 19, but without the higher violins.

- 21 [2:35]: High strings fade in, sole cello melody, violins come in.

- 22 [1:53]: Just violin and harp

- 23 [0:35]: End Titles Short Theme tune

- 24 [1:43]: This is identical to 19, so i'd assume that's incorrect, however I've also seen this CD referred to as a 23 track disc, so perhaps that's the explanation.

OK, I've worked out which tracks from the Season One promo are the same as on the Itunes Best Of Compilation... that is providing that my copy of the promo is truely accurate

Season 1 Promo Track # = Itunes Best Of Track # [Title]:

01 = 01 [Pilot Episode: Main Title (Long)]

02 = 02 [Pilot Episode: Bumper #1/M2]

04 = 03 [Pilot Episode: M10]

05 = 04 [Pilot Episode: M13]

13 = 05 [Marantha: 1M1]

14 = 06 [Marantha: 1M5]

15 = 07 [Marantha: 3M3/3M4]

16 = 08 [Marantha: 4M1]

23 = 22 [Goodbye to All That: End Titles] < yes, a season 3 ep, but of course the end titles appear on all.

So the first 8 tracks of the itunes best of compilation are on the Season 1 promo CD.

...Next job, to find the origins of the rest of the season one promo tracks :kickin:...

Edited by exit75

Guest Anamnesis268
I can only speculate on its existence, I hope, really hope that it does exist and that it includes...Luminary themes".

Me too. I have been looking for the Luminary sountrack for a very long time. has anyone heard anything about a second season CD yet?

Thanks,

Chris