Other shows in the vein

Rate this topic

Guest daedalus perihelion

Guest daedalus perihelion

Hey, I'm back... I just post sporatically on here.

Alright, I had a question. I haven't watched any network or cable television for YEARS. I just watch DVD/VHS from time to time. So I'm completely out of the loop of what is out there.

I was wondering, are there any other shows in the vein of X-Files or MillenniuM that are any good? Any thing with a good conspiracy or mythology? I thought I should ask people with some obvious taste.

I once came across an article on a show called "24" that sounded interesting, but a college of mine who is a HUGE Millennium fan said it was really lame. That it played out like a Tom Clancy novel. Would that be the general agreement?

Then, recently, a friend of mine said I'd like some show called "Alias". I read up on it on the internet and it sounded like it had potential, but it also sounded like it might be a little too... uhmmm... trendy, I guess. Like 90210 meets the CIA or something.

Any thing else out there? I'm really desperate to fill my mythology void, but I have no way to find what's out there but by asking. I hope this doesn't come of as annoying or anything.

I posted this here, by the way, because I didn't really see anywhere else where it fit in. I know it's not exactly Millennium related, so if it needs to be moved, feel free.

Thanks.

Hey, I'm back... I just post sporatically on here.

Alright, I had a question.  I haven't watched any network or cable television for YEARS.  I just watch DVD/VHS from time to time.  So I'm completely out of the loop of what is out there.

I was wondering, are there any other shows in the vein of X-Files or MillenniuM that are any good?  Any thing with a good conspiracy or mythology?  I thought I should ask people with some obvious taste.

I once came across an article on a show called "24" that sounded interesting, but a college of mine who is a HUGE Millennium fan said it was really lame.  That it played out like a Tom Clancy novel.  Would that be the general agreement?

Then, recently, a friend of mine said I'd like some show called "Alias".  I read up on it on the internet and it sounded like it had potential, but it also sounded like it might be a little too... uhmmm... trendy, I guess.  Like 90210 meets the CIA or something.

Any thing else out there?  I'm really desperate to fill my mythology void, but I have no way to find what's out there but by asking.  I hope this doesn't come of as annoying or anything.

I posted this here, by the way, because I didn't really see anywhere else where it fit in.  I know it's not exactly Millennium related, so if it needs to be moved, feel free.

Thanks.

Wow, that's a good question... 24 isn't really a bad show, it's just nowhere near as good as MillenniuM. MillenniuM is, of course, a far more intelligent and much deeper show. The conspiracy elements in 24 seem to go along the lines of "Who's the traitor?! THIS person is a traitor! Now THIS person is a traitor!"...

Granted, I've only watched the first season. I'm intending to watch the second, soon.

I'm guessing you've seen Twin Peaks as that aired a long while before MillenniuM. That's an intelligent show with it's own very individual mythology, although it's not really to everyone's tastes. Myself, it's my other absolutely favourite show of all time..

Uh, so, in conclusion, I don't know.

(I've been absolutely no help!)

MIRACLES was great even though it isn't available on DVD, and that ABC cancelled the show after six episodes (with 7 episodes left unaired). ALIAS has a good arc as long as you can get ppast the escapist action type of show. For serious, realistic spy action, you can always get MI-5, Volume 1 which comes out on DVD this month.

ULTRAVIOLET is a six episode British vampire series about a secret government team backed by the Vatican that hunts vampires if vampires existed in the real world. It is available on DVD.

Have to think more about it.

Be Seeing You,

David Blackwell

Guest LauraKrycek

Yep, "Miracles" was great. Too bad they canned it, like they do with *every* show that's worth something.

Don't know where you are, but there's a great British show (granted, I've seen only one ep of it) called "Midsomer Murders" that I think is in the same vein. Not really as far as the supernatural stuff goes, but as far as the really good mystery and "whodunit" kind of thing. Okay, that doesn't really describe it well at all, but whatever. If you have access, I'd watch it.

Yep, "Miracles" was great.  Too bad they canned it, like they do with *every* show that's worth something.

Don't know where you are, but there's a great British show (granted, I've seen only one ep of it) called "Midsomer Murders" that I think is in the same vein.  Not really as far as the supernatural stuff goes, but as far as the really good mystery and "whodunit" kind of thing.  Okay, that doesn't really describe it well at all, but whatever.  If you have access, I'd watch it.

There are a couple of box sets of Midsomer Murders on VHS and DVD.

Set 1 (DVD): https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...&s=dvd&n=507846

Set 2 (DVD): https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...&s=dvd&n=507846

Be Seeing You,

David Blackwell

• Elders (Admins)

Ahh, now you are talking. A new series started on Sunday night.

I wish they'd do full Season Box Sets. The buggers.

Midsomer Murders SERIES 7 - NEWS!

There will be 7 episodes in the new series. Amongst the directors will be Peter Smith (episodes 2 & 4), Sarah Hellings (episode 1), Richard Holthouse (he directed some Jonathan Creek stories) and Jeremy Silberston. Filming is scheduled to continue right through until February 2004.

Also, Midsomer land has moved slightly for the start of Series 7. Some scenes have been filmed in Gloucestershire! This is the furthest away from their home at Pinewood Studios that the crew have ventured for the series so far.

The Sapperton Tunnel in Gloucestershire is set to be the opening scene for the first episode of the new series of Midsomer Murders. The episode, entitled 'The Green Man' will feature a big dramatic opening with canal restoration volunteers making a gruesome discovery in the tunnel.

ITV has commissioned a minimum of 10 new episodes to be filmed over the next two years - great news! This means that it will have more episodes than Morse and will take Midsomer Murders into its eighth series. Series 7 is currently being filmed.

American viewers will be pleased to know that A&E has acquired all the completed episodes to date. I really hope that it won't be long until you are able to see them there. In fact Barnaby's adventures have now been sold to no less than 150 countries worldwide!

https://www.tabardroad.co.uk/tv/midsomer_murders.htm

Graham.

• Elders (Admins)

Hi,

Yes, series 7 is on right now and we have had the first two episodes with 3rd to come next weekend. The first 2-4 series had just a few episodes in them.

Pilot

P-1 100 23-Mar-1997 The Killings at Badger's Drift

Season 1 

2. 1-1 101 22-Mar-1998 Written in Blood

3. 1-2 102 29-Mar-1998 Death of a Hollow Man

4. 1-3 103 22-Apr-1998 Faithful unto Death

5. 1-4 104 06-May-1998 Death in Disguise

Season 2 

6. 2-1 201 20-Jan-1999 Death's Shadow

7. 2-2 202 03-Feb-1999 Strangler's Wood

8. 2-3 203 12-Sep-1999 Dead Man's Eleven

9. 2-4 204 19-Sep-1999 Blood Will Out

Season 3 

10. 3-1 301 31-Dec-1999 Death of a Stranger

11. 3-2 302 22-Jan-2000 Blue Herrings

12. 3-3 303 29-Jan-2000 Judgement Day

13. 3-4 304 05-Feb-2000 Beyond the Grave

Season 4 

14. 4-1 401 10-Sep-2000 Garden of Death

15. 4-2 402 26-Aug-2001 Destroying Angel

16. 4-3 403 02-Sep-2001 Electric Vendetta

17. 4-4 404 09-Sep-2001 Who Killed **** Robin?

18. 4-5 405 16-Sep-2001 Dark Autumn

19. 4-6 406 23-Sep-2001 Tainted Fruit

Season 5 

20. 5-1 16-Jun-2002 Market for Murder

21. 5-2 23-Jun-2002 A Worm in the Bud

22. 5-3 15-Sep-2002 Ring Out Your Dead

23. 5-4 22-Sep-2002 Murder on St Malley's Day

Season 6 

24. 6-1 03-Jan-2003 A Talent for Life

25. 6-2 10-Jan-2003 Death and Dreams

26. 6-3 32098 17-Jan-2003 Painted in Blood

27. 6-4 36076 24-Jan-2003 A Tale of Two Hamlets

28. 6-5 47344 31-Jan-2003 Birds of Prey

Season 7 

29. 7-1 2482 02-Nov-2003 The Green Man

30. 7-2 73232618 04-Jan-2004 Bad Tidings

31. 7-3 24389102 11-Jan-2004 The Fisher King

32. 7-4    Sins of Commission

33. 7-5    The Maid in Splendour

Guest LauraKrycek
There are a  couple of box sets of Midsomer Murders on VHS and DVD.

Yeah, I know that there are -- it's a matter of money :angry: Believe me, I'd buy anything that tickled my fancy like that if I could afford it! But, as it is, all I can do is hope that A&E will show them when I know they're coming on; I know they own the rights, but have yet to see it on air.

Guest LauraKrycek
Ahh, now you are talking. A new series started on Sunday night.

I wish they'd do full Season Box Sets. The buggers.

Rock out! I wish I could be there to watch it :down: I should tell my friend Jason about it, though, as he's leaving for England at the end of the month and will be gone the entire semester! I won't see him again until school starts back next fall, which will probably be early September! :cry: I just hope I have an opportunity sometime before too long to watch it again. Buggers is right.