The virtual Season 4

Rate this topic

Guest WaveCrest

De-lurking to comment.

Try not to be too critical. The writers varied in degrees of experience. And not everyone understood the script format. We put out a call to everyone who was interested, and only a handful of fans replied. (If anyone thinks they could have done better, they should have offered their skills when we asked for help.)

All the writers had jobs, or school, or prior commitments that took precedence over the project. We had to produce twenty-two scripts from July 99 through December 99, with only June to prepare. That's a hell of a workload, especially for nonprofessionals. (We took only two two-week breaks.) Virtual seasons of other shows were done very haphazardly, but we pledged to stick to a schedule like a regular TV show. When an episode was promised on Friday night, we posted it, whether it was truly ready or not. ("Twilight Years.") I rarely had sufficient time to edit scripts, or properly format them. ("Shophetim," "Iso Bet Din") And not everyone was forthcoming when Dan and I would ask about the status of a script, which left us stuck at the last minute with some bad drafts.

Since we couldn't physically sit around a table, we relied on email and a message board to develop the story lines and discuss our progress--not the ideal way to write a TV show. The inconvenience of having to type our conversations, and the non instantaneous limitations of written communication, put a major dent in our free time. (I was personally burdened with responding to forum threads about plans for the mythology, emailing feedback on individual scripts, seeing that print ads were getting made, updating the website, etc., and that left me with little time to write my own scripts.)

Dan wrote "Blood and Water" before the virtual season began, but other than that we were posting scripts as scripts were being written. It was entirely seat-of-the-pants. The only way we could get twenty-two scripts posted before the new year. So, yes there are "bombs," but that's the unfortunate nature of the beast.

Thanks for reading them, though.

(Jason, anything to add?)

Guest chrisnu

Thanks for taking the time to comment, and thanks for explaining the time constraints experienced. When writers are crunched for time, it can be tough to write quality material! Overall, it has been very satisfying to read some new stuff that has the atmosphere, the feel of a real episode from the show. I've read way too much X-Files fan fiction that's just bonkers. :angry: I'll keep reading to the end; it looks like there's some great ones left. Thank you very, very much (as well as the other writers) for taking the time to come up with a great thing.

PS. The "bombs": you read my mind. I'm sure people have said the same thing in the past. I can handle pithy, but so pithy the story doesn't make any sense, no. Also, the gratuitous violence just felt like it was there for no other purpose than to gross you out. Kind of like "Skull and Bones". :devil01:

PPS. I liked "Genesis" a lot. :smokin:

Guest WaveCrest

Is it possible if I could print a copy of the first episode Genesis to read when not using the net? It would just be for private use.

Guest TheUnknownSuperior
(Jason, anything to add?)

No Matt, you pretty much nailed it on the head.. I think I was in the rather fortunate position that I was already writing and developing my script even before I was on the project.. tho I did have to make some major changes at the last minute... (i think I rewrote half of the first act and most of the 3/4th acts over a weekend. :)) I reread it recently and still think it stands up pretty well.

Hey matt, great to hear from you. HOw are you? what have you been up to?

- Jason

Guest chrisnu

TheUnknownSuperior: You're the writer of "In Adventu Dominae"? It's encouraging to know that the writers are still around and active fans of the show. I haven't gotten that far in reading the VS yet, but I'm looking forward to it. I was skimming through the review of your episode (skipping over parts that reveal plot points), it seems that it ties up some loose ends. Thank you. :smokin: I just got through reading "Anthropophagi" and "The Dawn Of Nothing": while they don't top "Lamentation" and "The Mikado" (I don't think that's possible), they're both very good. And "Anthropophagi" is definitely better than "Antipas".

Guest chrisnu

I've just been reading some more; I'm now through "The Third Eye". Excellent work on this episode! The dialogue and character interaction was terrific; it definitely had an intangible "this is Millennium" feel to it. I am also glad that Emma got to kick some butt in this episode; it's indisputable that her character was wasted in S3, and I'm glad to see her become an integral player. I'm also glad to see that the pieces of the puzzle are starting to fit together; thank you very, very much for attempting to do this and providing some closure - something no 1013 production has been very good at doing. Reading on...

Guest TheUnknownSuperior

Chrisnu:

yes, I did write that episode and yes it does tie up loose ends.. tho actually I think it ties up too many... I had the arduous and somewhat impossible task of tieing up the mythology left over from the third season, tieing it to the new stuff we'd set up, taking some of that new mythology futher, making it a character peice about Emma and an Xmas episode.. with all that I mind.. I think I did rather well. There are some scenes in there I really like, others I don't like at all and some that were edited down to much from being good to just exposition or cut out completely.. :)

Glad your enjoying it and that it's still around to enjoy.. many people worked many hard hours for no reward.. it is a memorial to the show and their efforts.. I don't count myself among them as I was brought on last minute to fill a void.. I wasn't in the day to day trenches. Dan Owen and Matt Asendorf be praised! :bigsmile:

- Jason

Guest WaveCrest

The Unknown Superior,

Are you in charge of the Season 4 section (you've written for the virtual fourth season)? Is it ok to print out a copy of Genesis, and if I read the rest which is likely, print a copy of them? They will just be for private use.

P.S: I didn't say in my previous post (although I was thinking it) that I would probably print a copy of the following stories so I could also read them away from the net as with Genesis.

Guest TheUnknownSuperior

wavecrest:

Me... in charge?... I shudder to think of the state of the world the day that decision comes down.. "yeah, that guy.. " - "No the pudgy long-haired fella with the beard.. " :)

as far as printing goes.. sure, print away.. I surely don't mind. I don't think there is a problem.. I still have them all printed out in a box somewhere.. Maybe I'll get them bound one of theses days... </tangent> :) Anyways, have fun with them just watch those paper cuts. They hurt.. >:(

- J.

Guest WaveCrest

Paper cuts, I know what you mean! :bigsmile: Anyway thanks. :wink: Thought it would be best if I asked first. Instead of staring at a computer screen reading the MM stories I can read them at my own leisure away from the web.