X-Files help

Rate this topic

Guest Laurent.
Yes, but "Empedocles" wasn't a mythology episode either. What's wrong with having both types of show together? Mythology episodes with all the conspiracy action, standalones like "Empedocles" and "Daemonicus" with the force of evil stuff.

The way I look at it, it seemed as though the writers were trying to bring a new mythology to the show with episodes like Empedocles. Unfortunately they didn't have the time to do enough episodes on the subject but I was a bit more interested in this story than with the super-soldiers one. And it's not because I think that the super-soldiers sucked. It was an interesting idea. I was just wishing the show to move forward to something new. I thought that the "new" elements could have saved the show.. even though they obviously didn't.

Anyway, I still can't really figure out why season 6 seems to be so popular while the two final seasons are often considered as the worsts.

Guest ZeusFaber

I don't agree with your assessment of "Empedocles" as an attempt to bring a new mythology to the show. I don't see it as in any way classifiable as mythology, purely a standalone episode. It may have explored new themes to be developed further in other standalone episodes such as "Daemonicus" and "Release", but standalone nonetheless. Not mythology. That's the way I see it.

Interesting that you don't consider the super-solider to be "new" enough. I find many fans complain about it being too "new". I guess you're damned if you do, and damned if you don't. Nevertheless, I think it's important to remember that the mythology episodes in these latter seasons weren't just about super-soldiers. There was also the spacecrafts being unearthed in "Biogenesis"/"The Sixth Extinction" and "Provenance"/"Providence".

As for your puzzlement over the popularity of Season 6, I myself am far more baffled by the idea of Season 7 being better than either Season 8 or Season 9. But I guess we all have our personal preferences.

Guest Laurent.
I don't agree with your assessment of "Empedocles" as an attempt to bring a new mythology to the show.

Well the idea that Evil is behind the death of Doggett's son would have surely been revisited. Maybe mythology is too strong a word, even though Evil and demons are more mythic than little green men, but it would have been a brand new story arc for the show. And about the link between the two(and three) parters "Biogenesis"/"The Sixth Extinction" and "Provenance"/"Providence", I feel like the latter had some great idea but lacked something and that could be because I was expecting much more from the strange cult that unearthed the spaceship. Did we even find out how they knew about the aliens, supersoldiers and William? I guess I have to go rewatch a few season 9 episodes...

Guest Moriarty

This is an old discussion going on here. I am too tired to step in at the moment but for me the whole mythology went downhill from season 8. And certainly in season 9 it was waaaaaaaaaay to ridiculous. With the UFO cult (I mean, a UFO cult???) and then the thing with William. Everything was centered arround William and then, in the end, he got injected with iron so that he lost his alien DNA and that was the wrapping up of that storyline?? No, that did not work at all according to me. And I said this in the past and will continue to do so: it was bad character writing to let Scully give up her son so easily. That was so unlike Scully. Here we have a woman that has defeated cancer, survied numerous attacks on her life, lost her father, her sister, had a faith crisis etc... and then she gives up her son so quickly? Come on.

Also, the 2-parter you mention Laran, Provenance/Providence, was just a desperate attempt to keep the old mythology alive. It also has the most ridiculous X-files line in it: "Bring me the head of Fox Mulder". I mean, come on, how sheezy can you get?

Oh, and 1 more thing: the linking in that two-parter with the Biogenesis arc was also bad. There was really no follow up on that storyarc. They mentionned the space ship etc... but that was all they did. There was never any closure regarding that storyline.

But, that's only my take on it. Sorry Zeus :-)

Guess I just stepped in the discussion. Good night :-)

Edited by Moriarty

Guest Laurent.

Obviously Moriarty's opinion is harsher than mine toward season 9's mythology.. guess we all have different opinion on the matter. But am I the only one who wanted to see more of the Luke Doggett storyline??

even though i didnt care too much for Season 8 & 9, i also wanted to know more about Luke Doggett. I think if they where to beef up the story and maybe dealt with that and the supernatural side Season 9 wouldnt be that bad
Hey Moriarty, i see you lurking...LOL....i never expected this thread to take on its own lifeform in the way of so many responses...its wonderful, and all of you have helped me get over the hump...so today, i stood in front of the DVDs at Frys again, and i decided to get Season 1....i would like to get your opinions on "Squeeze" with Doug Hutchison...is there a general consensus of disappointment in how it seemed to take away a bit of the momentum of the first two episodes??? Just wondering....

4th Horseman..

Hey Moriarty, i see you lurking...LOL....i never expected this thread to take on its own lifeform in the way of so many responses...its wonderful, and all of you have helped me get over the hump...so today, i stood in front of the DVDs at Frys again, and i decided to get Season 1....i would like to get your opinions on "Squeeze" with Doug Hutchison...is there a general consensus of disappointment in how it seemed to take away a bit of the momentum of the first two episodes??? Just wondering....

4th Horseman..

You have two stories that are part of the mythos and then you got "Squeeze" thrown in there. Squeeze happens to be one of my fav. stories in Season one along with Beyond The Sea.....Darkness Falls.....Ice...and Shapes. Its funny how my favs are stand alones. 4th tell me when you start watching because i will join you

Guest MillenniumIsBliss

4th Horseman..

Well, personally, I stepped in on X-files during the fist rerun of season one, and missed the Pilot, so Deep Throat was the first episode I ever saw. I then began to consciously make an effort to watch it because Deep Throat was so good. Then, along cam Squeeze the next week and I knew I was hooked. To me, Squeeze was one of the all time greats, and then Tooms was just as good later in S1. Squeeze showed us that the show could do something different every week and remain at a high level of greatness. The episode had the perfect amount of humor and quirkiness, and Mulder oozed charisma in it. After watching it I remember thinking "Wow, this is going to be something special", and after a 4 or 5 year wait for something exceptional, it did what I didn't think was possible, it surpassed the greatness of Twin Peaks. Just my opinion, but I thought Squeeze added momentum and wasn't at all disappointing. I'm sure there are those who would disagree though. It isn't until probably after Conduit that she show had a string of sub par episodes ("Jersey Devil" through "Space"), but they were still pretty good compared to most everything else on TV at the time.