Further evidence that we're headed for the end

Rate this topic

Guest SouthernCelt

Guest Laurent.

I can't tell you how much this story troubles me. I don't feel like where I live this kind of heinous murder has become common and depersonalized. I live in Québec and there are not a lot of murder committed in our city (according to Statistics Canada, we only had 5 murders in 2005) and they rarely approach the kind of violence that we're talking about here. I remember that there was a triple murder-suicide that occurred last year in a suburb of Québec and the press were talking about it constantly for a week and I think that everyone felt the loss very deeply. We can't underplay the importance of the media when such events take place. The population has to know about it if you want the family of the victims to receive some sort of condolence, which can really help them make their peace with the crime.

Onthe other hand, I know that the U.S.A. have a ten times bigger population than Canada and that the number of crimes is necessarily higher, but I think that maybe it's normal that the press doesn't treat every case as we did here in Québec. If they did, our lives would be nothing but a relentless grief.

P.S.: If they're found guilty, what kind of sentence can we expect? Prison for life (as I hope if they are, indeed, guilty)?

edit: Just realized that they could be facing the death penalty, so I would really like to know what kind of sentence they are most likely to receive. Over here, our justice system is being criticized for what we call "des sentences-bonbons" or "candy-sentences" especially, in my opinion, regarding to sexual crime.

Edited by Laurent.

Guest SouthernCelt
I can't tell you how much this story troubles me. I don't feel like where I live this kind of heinous murder has become common and depersonalized. I live in Québec and there are not a lot of murder committed in our city (according to Statistics Canada, we only had 5 murders in 2005) and they rarely approach the kind of violence that we're talking about here. I remember that there was a triple murder-suicide that occurred last year in a suburb of Québec and the press were talking about it constantly for a week and I think that everyone felt the loss very deeply. We can't underplay the importance of the media when such events take place. The population has to know about it if you want the family of the victims to receive some sort of condolence, which can really help them make their peace with the crime.

Onthe other hand, I know that the U.S.A. have a ten times bigger population than Canada and that the number of crimes is necessarily higher, but I think that maybe it's normal that the press doesn't treat every case as we did here in Québec. If they did, our lives would be nothing but a relentless grief.

P.S.: If they're found guilty, what kind of sentence can we expect? Prison for life (as I hope if they are, indeed, guilty)?

edit: Just realized that they could be facing the death penalty, so I would really like to know what kind of sentence they are most likely to receive. Over here, our justice system is being criticized for what we call "des sentences-bonbons" or "candy-sentences" especially, in my opinion, regarding to sexual crime.

While Canada is much smaller than the US population-wise, I think the Canadians are not as diverse in their social interaction as are Americans. The only exception I've seen is the Quebec French influence making the province and especially the city stand out as an on-going conflict with the rest of the society there. But that is a historical nationalistic issue going back almost 300 years and wouldn't seem to typify the mainstream Canadian culture. The US, on the other hand, has a significant variation in cultures some of which is heavily influenced by racial, economic, and religious differences. When you throw in the impact that the drug culture adds on forming individuals, you end up with a lot of people who reject the "apple pie and motherhood" ideals of the US past and develop a "get what you can while you can and the victim be damned" mentality. I think this plays into a lot of the more significant violent crime in this country.

As to sentencing, Canada is not alone in the citizenry believing that the authorities are too lenient on criminals. In many places (including right here where I live) the majority of moderate to serious crimes never go to trial because plea bargains are arranged. It's only natural that when a guilty plea is offered with a lenient sentence as the "carrot on the stick", the perp is likely to take it, especially in clear cases of guilt. With those cases the prosecutors get to claim victory having gotten a guilty plea without the time and expense of a trial and the defense attorneys get to claim a victory because they brokered a good deal for their clients. Missing from this is any aspect of rehab or of prevention by making others, who might commit similar crimes in the future, fear the system.

I know the death penalty issue is a sore point on this board and I don't plan to restart that debate other than to say it is still my view that certain crimes should be capital offenses for which NO plea bargains are available. The families of victims deserve to see the perps taken through the system in the way that the system was designed to operate so everyone can see what the perps did and why they should pay the ultimate price.

• 7 months later...
Guest SAMAYEL

I THINK THAT THE REASON THIS CASE IS NOT GETTING MORE MEDIA ATTENTION IS BECAUSE IT IS SO HORRIBLE THAT NOBODY WANTS TO THINK ABOUT IT. THERE ARE A LOT OF THINGS THAT HAPPEN AND NOBODY KNOWS ABOUT THEM BECAUSE OF THE HORRIBLE NATURE OF VARIOUS "HUMAN" ATROCITIES.

I THINK THAT THE REASON THIS CASE IS NOT GETTING MORE MEDIA ATTENTION IS BECAUSE IT IS SO HORRIBLE THAT NOBODY WANTS TO THINK ABOUT IT. THERE ARE A LOT OF THINGS THAT HAPPEN AND NOBODY KNOWS ABOUT THEM BECAUSE OF THE HORRIBLE NATURE OF VARIOUS "HUMAN" ATROCITIES.

This is going to sound horrible, but if the couple had been homosexual lovers attacked like this it would have been news. If it had been five white people doing this to a black couple it would have been news. If it had been a mysterious home invasion murder it would have been big news. The media doesn't cover certain black crimes. If a black girl is missing it's not news. If a group of young black men do something mean and or vulgar it's not news. The media in the US has a certain image of what is going on in America and that is what they report.

Guest SAMAYEL
This is going to sound horrible, but if the couple had been homosexual lovers attacked like this it would have been news. If it had been five white people doing this to a black couple it would have been news. If it had been a mysterious home invasion murder it would have been big news. The media doesn't cover certain black crimes. If a black girl is missing it's not news. If a group of young black men do something mean and or vulgar it's not news. The media in the US has a certain image of what is going on in America and that is what they report.

I HATE THE FACT THAT RACE IS SUCH A BIG ISSUE. THE O.J. SIMPSON CASE IS A PRIME EXAMPLE OF HOW A PERSONS RACE IS USED EITHER FOR OR AGAINST A PERSON. RACE SHOULD NOT BE AN ISSUE. GOOD IS GOOD AND EVIL IS EVIL...

Guest SAMAYEL

GOOD IS GOOD AND EVIL IS EVIL...I REREAD MY PREVIOUS POST AND CAME TO THE REALIZATION THAT IT IS TOO SIMPLEMINDED. ALMOST NAIVE SOUNDING...DAMN IT...NOW I AM FULL OF SELF DISGUST...WHERE IS MY GUN?