What do you think were the messages/meanings of Beware of the Dog?

Rate this topic

THE OLD MAN: That's all you need to know for now, Frank, about the Millennium Group. The reason you're here is to learn about the event.

Hi Chicken,

My theory regarding The Old Man's somewhat immunity from the Dogs is tentative, even apocryphal but I present it nonetheless for your musing.

The "They ain't my dogs" statement doesn't make much sense if taken in isolation but one can arrive a plausible conjecture if you view the Old Man throughout the Season. The first, to my mind, telling moment that hints at The Old Man's purpose comes from Lara who, in addition to the fact that Frank's abilities have returned, notes that their visits to The Old Man have allowed them to sense the evil in Dani Barbakow with a degree neither has been able to access before, the assertion seems to be that he heightens sensory abilities by his presence alone. He exerts a field of influence that affects those in his proximity if you will.

In Roosters it is noted that Odessa have coveted The Old Man for an age and given their thirst for the Cross of Christ based purely on the myths attributed to its presence it is implied that they desire people and artifacts who energetically raise their stakes in their quest for resurgence giving credence to Lara's earlier observation that The Old Man has an influential ability. After The Old Man's death and the transference of the compass insurgent elements within the Group seem to rise to power as depicted in Season Three, turning the Group into a malign entity which was a situation deemed almost impossible during The Old Man's monarchy if you will. Again it seems that his ability to influence, heighten or temper was essential in mediating the ever present incompatibility that existed between the numerous factions and that in removing his influence as Legion influenced member Johnson did it seems that this nefarious cancer within the Group was finally allowed to rise to prominence.

My theory regarding the 'Dogs' is that whatever evil influenced them The Old Man was able to remain immune and exert his influence due to some tacit gift that he possessed. Given that the Group was so enamored of those with abilities beyond the norm it seems in keeping with its depiction that it would have at its helm someone who possessed an ability of their own.

Like I say that's my own, tentative, take and I wouldn't consider it anywhere near the truth but we make of Millennium what we can I guess, you might wanna see if you can reign Laredo in on this one, he's much more logic based that I am and he might have a much more salient point of view.

Woof, Woof,

Eth

Eth...you never got back to me on my assessment as to why the townspeople had had trouble for years with the dogs prior to Frank's arrival. So that would seem to indicate that Beebe's moving into the area was really a non-event, as the balance had already been disturbed for years prior to his coming to Bucksnort...what do you think? I dont think the underlying issue of his metrosexuality/homosexuality had anything to do with it other than if you can assess the general demeanor of the townsfolk, they were seemingly a very ultra conservative, rigid community. I dont recall any of them complaining about his sexual orientation in the cafe scene, do you??? I am starting to believe there seems to be a small breakdown in the plot or writing of the episode...

4th Horseman

The Old Man was able to remain immune and exert his influence due to some tacit gift that he possessed.

Maybe this came from him being objective? By not judging the dogs as good or evil.... he detached himself from the situation..becoming simply an observer?

I dunno, Horseman.... Yes, Micheal did seem a bit gay-ish, but I've known plenty of men who SEEMED to be gay, but they weren't. I think his sexual orientation was irrelevant. People "demonize" anyone not like them. This is coming from years of experience. I'm not a homosexual, I don't belong to a minority, I never speak out publicly on political issues, yet I have been ostracized just as Beebee was. Why? Just because I'm different. Beebee could have been gay, or black, or an outspoken woman, and he would have received the same lack of tolerance and animosity as he did just being a "city boy".

My best friend, first love Nicholas was "different" when I was growing up and in high school. In a town of narrow mindedness and intolerance, he was intelligent, creative, a free-thinker with a genious mentality....and he was half English! There were at least 3 high schools who wanted him harm. And, when I got together with him....then ME...the nothing girl that no one ever even noticed existed before suddenly began to get death threats...and was assalted more than once on school grounds.

This town might as well have the name of Bucksnort. It's all the same thing, just with different faces and a different person singled out and "demonized".

Horseman? "they were seemingly a very ultra conservative, rigid community" If they were that wouldn't they have gotten their 2md amemdment shotguns out ages ago a "kilt" those dogs? :fool: I would describe them as facistly (sp?)ridged in making sure everyone let the dogs rule their lives. I think one of the reasons I don't care for this show is I can't accept the conspiracy the townspeople keep. Why wouldn't they have moved away a long time ago? I like Richard Pryor's advice to white people on monster shows like this; "Get out of the house!"

Upon watching this again tonight.... I think what this is saying to me is.... "I am Michael Beebee!" I'm the one who doesn't belong, who keeps trying to "get along" with these people, even though I KNOW I don't fit in! It's time I "find my flock".... My "Wolf Pack", or whatever. Because I'm standing on the bow of a sinking ship....asking "Why"? (I tend to blame myself when it comes to conflicts with other people. I assume that I'm the one at fault, and that everyone else is right)

Mark (ethie) just so you know...the "Buckstort" sign is almost done and is going up tomorrow. It will serve as my reminder to NOT try to fit in with these people anymore....but to just move on...be where I'm supposed to be... (and with whom I'm supposed to be with!)

Hi Gang,

Here's my thing.

I did re-watch it as I promised but I 'didn't' add any additional thoughts to 4ths points and for that I'm sorry. I think I got a little side tracked along the way to Bucksnort.

The only thing I could deduce is that the townsfolk seem to have issues with feral canines for some years but given that it's stated that the attacks upon the human populace only began months ago I'm guessing the problems noted were more earthly in origin such as damage to property, scavenging and that sort of thing. You are right that Beebe's sexuality, whatever his orientation, is not explicitly referred to but I'm agreeing with Erin that he had a perceivable difference that was deemed sufficient grounds for his social exclusion.

My theory is that in devoting most of the denouement to the introduction of The Old Man that is plausible that finer points of the script we left to dangle so who knows my friend.

I agree with Roo that 'Dog' isn't a masterpiece by any means but I love it purely as The Old Man is such a memorable character for me.

Or maybe I'm 'barking' up the wrong tree (I'm loving the bad puns...)

Eth

Hi Gang,

Here's my thing.

I did re-watch it as I promised but I 'didn't' add any additional thoughts to 4ths points and for that I'm sorry. I think I got a little side tracked along the way to Bucksnort.

The only thing I could deduce is that the townsfolk seem to have issues with feral canines for some years but given that it's stated that the attacks upon the human populace only began months ago I'm guessing the problems noted were more earthly in origin such as damage to property, scavenging and that sort of thing. You are right that Beebe's sexuality, whatever his orientation, is not explicitly referred to but I'm agreeing with Erin that he had a perceivable difference that was deemed sufficient grounds for his social exclusion.

My theory is that in devoting most of the denouement to the introduction of The Old Man that is plausible that finer points of the script we left to dangle so who knows my friend.

I agree with Roo that 'Dog' isn't a masterpiece by any means but I love it purely as The Old Man is such a memorable character for me.

Eth

roo, if you remember the episode, whenever a dog was lost, another took its place, so what good would it have done to shoot them?? In regards to just up and leaving...the townsfolk looked pretty set in their ways in the little slice of heaven known as Bucksnort. The same reasons why they did not leave can be extrapolated to asking a woman why she does not leave an abusive relationship at home, familarity with their surroundings, lack of self confidence, easily manipulated, et cetra....

4th Horseman

Cute...ethie!!

The same reasons why they did not leave can be extrapolated to asking a woman why she does not leave an abusive relationship at home, familarity with their surroundings, lack of self confidence, easily manipulated, et cetra....

Exactly. What's funny is...where I live, the general population adopts the same mentality (as does my parents, even though they aren't as ignorant as the rest of the local population.) This is why things never seem to get much better for human society.

BTW, I got a "For Sale By Owner" sign the other day, and spray painted it black. This afternoon I'm putting on the letters, putting it up, and getting a picture for you guys!

Sounds silly....but this is my way of staying sane in such an INsane situation.

btw...last night I saw that there was yet another dog, running in the woods in front of my house. "There'll always be another dog"..... Perhaps this is a message, stating that since there will always be another dog, another murderer, another rapist, etc., it's better to try to make a difference in the world by helping society as a whole move forward and progress, rather than just "shooting the dogs"...which is more a defensive, victim mentality.

Guest Thomas
roo, if you remember the episode, whenever a dog was lost, another took its place, so what good would it have done to shoot them??

4th Horseman

Hi 4th,

Now I like shooting demon possessed dogs as much as the next guy, but you make a good point. Waste of film in the camera!

Thing is, here's my take... Don't we do that every time we take a bath. We fix one leak and another starts. Problems never cease to cross out paths.

When I was a child I had a toy that was a gun stuck in a plastic box and there was five targets. Take your shots and the little metal balls would roll back into the automatic and refill it. I guess the point of the system was not to lose the parts. Anyway, when you shot the targets down there was a lever that set them right back up and off you would go again.

Never ending battle for truth, justice and the American way.

O.K. boys & girls.... Timid me, who never does anything crazy like this (especially with the fear of looking stupid & pissing off my neighbors!).... has placed this out by the mailbox group for this little area, known as "Wilbanks Circle" (Rodney Wilbanks is our landlord) There are (I think) more than 6 families back here, all clustered together, and this is where we all get our mail. So, I wonder just how many weird questions/comments I'll get about this??? :fool:

The little brown house in the background is where I live now.... Yeah... I can safely say we're moving ASAP! (should I take the sign when I move, or leave it? LOL)

100_0960.jpg

100_0961.jpg

(you can see which one's my mailbox in this one! :clapping: )

100_0963.jpg