XF:IWTB on blu-ray and dvd

Rate this topic

Guest Laurent.

Guest Laurent.

Is it possible that they will only be featured on the blu-ray release? It would be stupid not to include the bonus on the blu-ray disc for region 1! I guess their concern is with the profitability of producing an extra disc of bonus features for the dvd release if it's not going to draw more buyers.

Anyway, I wish for you, and other british fans, that you'll get the same dvd package as us. The X-Phile edition looks awesome!

Guest ZeusFaber

That's very possible.

Hopefully there will be some sort of definitive list of features for the Region 2 version at some point making it all crystal clear. If the main documentary is not included, I will definitely be importing the Region 1 version.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ZeusFaber

That's probably one of the best new covers so far.

And Laurent, it looks to me like it will probably just be the two individual products bundled together in an outer cardboard sleeve.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ZeusFaber

An update on the Region 2 release:

According to the studio's recent press-release, the 2-disc Region 2 version will have the "Trust No One: Can The X-Files Remain a Secret?" documentary after all, contrary to previous estimates from Frank Spotnitz.

So how do we account for the extra, third disc on the Region 1 release now? Well, your guess is as good as mine. One possibility is that the R1 is listed as including both the original theatrical cut and the new extended, unrated cut, whereas the R2 is listed with only the "director's cut". So that could be it, although I thought the technology allowed for both on one disc without duplicating the entire print. The only other discrepancy in the official specs is that the R1 is listed with Theatrical Trailers amongst the bonus features, whereas the R2 is not. But surely this is merely an oversight, as its the most basic of staples on DVD releases and would be a very odd thing to exclude, plus what would amount to less than five minutes of material surely couldn't tip the scales onto a new disc.

In short, all bets are off. Come release day, you pays your money and takes your chances.

Hi-res artwork though:

iwanttobelieve3d.jpg

Guest Laurent.

From Spotnitz, trying to clarify the situation:

The studio says the U.S. three-disc release has both versions of the film with the commentary and the second disc has the rest of the special features. Disc 3 is strictly a digital copy of the longer version of the film, nothing else is on this disc.

For Europe, the two-disc set will mirror the U.S. release. In the U.K., there will be a third disc as Apple currently supports digital copy in the U.K. only. The studio says that's the only reason most territories have a two-disc -- rather than three-disc -- release. Hope that helps!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ZeusFaber

Having now received my DVD, I can confirm (for anyone still wondering) that the only differences between the Region 1 and Region 2 versions are as follows:

1. The packaging

2. The R2 version only features the extended, director's cut of the movie. It does not include the original theatrical cut, unlike the R1 version which will feature both.

In all other respects, the bonus features are the same.