Profile of a Millennium Fan

Rate this topic

ethsnafu

Dear friends,

As you know, part of our campaign has been to bring as many of the cast and crew of Millennium along with us for the ride, to this end, we have been greatly encouraged by their warm response to us.

We believe it is equally important that we demonstrate both the presence and passion of Millennium fans, after all, unless we can prove an audience exists no amount of calls from the cast and crew will result in a return for Frank. To this end we have published a few emails we have received from supporters of the franchise to highlight the groundswell of support that has lived on since the series' demise. We are asking if you would consider taking a small amount of time to complete a questionnaire that we can use on our blog. There are eight questions in all and your answers can be as brief or as detailed as time permits. Truth be told, it shouldn't take more than a few minutes to cobble a few responses together so we hope you will delve in.

You will notice one of the questions is about 'you' so bear in mind this will be read by individuals outside the forum so only share whatever you feel comfortable with. The only reason I have included this is we believe it is important to demonstrate that Millennium fans span many demographics and are from all corners of the globe.In closing, you may like to PM your contribution rather than post it here and that's fine. We look forward to reading your thoughts soon.

1. About You.

2. Why are you a fan?

3. How long have you been a fan?

4. What's your favourite episode.

5. What's your favourite scene or moment?

6. If a movie was made which characters would you like to see in it?

7. Why do you think Millennium should come back?

1. What are you watching right now?

Best wishes to you all,

Eth

Guest RodimusBen

No problem Eth.

1. I am a 28-year-old Special Events Coordinator for a public university. My interests include writing, drawing, film, comics, animation and nostalgia collecting.

2. I'm a Millennium fan because I enjoy the series' combination of suspense, good writing and acting. I think Lance Henriksen is one of the most unique and engaging actors of our time.

3. I became a fan of Millennium only a few months ago. I decided to explore the series using my Netflix subscription and have since bought the series box set.

4. My favorite episode is Borrowed Time.

5. My favorite scene of Millennium-- it's almost impossible to pin down just one, but a scene that comes to mind is when Frank breaks through the window into Peter Watts's house with the intention of killing him.

6. Frank Black and Jordan Black would be the essential characters in a Millennium movie. I would also like to see Lucy Butler.

7. Millennium should come back because there is a market for entertainment of its kind-- complex, adult-targeted suspense shows that break from the exhausted "procedural" mold. There is an audience for Millennium that would be eager to embrace its return.

8. Right now I'm watching through a box set of Alien Nation I received for Christmas.

Hope this helps!

Ben,

That's just brilliant, thank you so much. Your own and Jared's contribution are gratefully received. Here's hoping more of you will find a little downtime in your no doubt hectic schedules and take a few minutes to complete a questionnaire for us.

My thanks,

Eth

Guest donkeyjote

another nice idea, eth!

1. I am a 25-year-old English/Spanish translator from Argentina. I enjoy reading (a lot), music, football, and all things Italian.

2. I am a Millennium fan because of the unbelivable quality of its writing, acting, and production. Every single entry in the series dealt with some serious and relevant issue of our times with admirable intelligence. Ten years after its original broadcast, it remains miles ahead of most tv shows airing today, especially in its mature analysis of the heart of darkness.

3. I have been a fan for three years. An X-Phile since '93, I decided to buy the Millennium DVDs only some years ago. I am now as much a Millennium fan as an X-Files fan, and watching both has helped me understand them better through comparison.

4. My favorite episode is The Sound of Snow.

5. My favorite scene is nine minutes long and it is from the second season. Need I say more?

6. In a Millennium movie I would like to see the return of Frank, Jordan, Peter Watts, Lara Means, and Lucy Butler. And everyone else...

7. Millennium should most definitely come back because there is a big audience out there eagerly waiting for it. The people who would watch a Millennium film are not only those who make up its large worldwide fanbase, but the even larger audience that enjoys dark and clever suspense dramas. And above all, Millennium must return because Frank Black is simply one of the best characters to ever grace our screens, and we still have a lot to learn from the man.

1. Right now I'm watching the final episodes of Twin Peaks.

...and I hope I passed the audition! ;)

Diego, many thanks for your support and contribution. It will make a wonderful addition to our Blog. Would you mind if I quote your first name when Blogging this, I fully understand if you would rather not.

Laurent, I look forward to seeing what you come up with and please keep these coming my friends, they are a great store cupboard staple for the months and weeks ahead.

Best wishes,

Eth

Guest Jim McLean

Hell, I see no reason why I should exclude myself. I'm a Millennium fan - at least I bloody well should be if I'm to be co-running this campaign! :)

This is quite long - don't feel obliged to waste as much time as I have! I tend to take questionnaires a little TOO seriously!

1. About You.

My name is Jim, 33 from the UK. I'm a self confessed non-alcoholic. I am a working illustrator.

2. Why are you a fan?

Question should be why is anyone not a fan? I'm a fan because Millennium is all about contrast. Despair and hope. You can't make for stronger drama from that pair. Frank Black is unique, thoroughly refreshing hero. Unlike the rest of television and Hollywood which promotes heroes who feed their loins and bleach their teeth, Frank represents something that the audience can relate to - an ordinary man trying to do his best for those he loves trapped by a talent that sucks him into dark places. His situation is horrifying, sometimes verging on the unreal, yet the show makes it believable and Henriksen gives Frank the authenticity to ground such unfathomable terrors. It's brilliant. All three seasons.

What other show manages to wrap real life detective work and theological mysticism so tightly in an effortless illusion? I say no other. This is why I am a fan of Millennium.

3. How long have you been a fan?

I started watching Millennium when it first popped up on ITV in the late 90s. I failed to keep up with its erratic schedule and lost touch midway through season one. I saw two episodes from season two on a re-run before watching the whole lot in 2007 with my then girlfriend (okay she stayed with the show for half of its run, but she did accompany to Manchester to see Lance in person, so don't frown upon her too much!). I remember seeing the show promoted in a Dreamwatch article and thinking what a cool idea it was.

4. What's your favorite episode?

Gah? Which isn't my favorite episode (I'm on a roll with these question reversals!). I adore the human drama of "The Sound of Snow" and the tense, personal horror of "Sacrament".

5. What's your favorite scene or moment?

The end of "Jose Chung's Doomsday Defense" where Frank finds Jose. I think that's a very touching moment where the sharp comedy/satire of the show moves to delicate pathos before slipping into a great outro and a great punchline. Well written, beautiful, smart.

6. If a movie was made which characters would you like to see in it?

As much as I adore Peter Watts, personally, I feel season three played a good resolution to his arc. I think Jordan has to be there to give Frank the center to his gyre. I would love to see the return of Lucy Butler of course. There a whole host of characters who didn't get the resolution Peter got including Emma Hollis, Lara Means - and just what happened to Roedecker? The would might want to know. For me, the quintessential is Frank and Jordan - any plot or characters can revolve around them, but I'd be happy to see any of the above return (and even Catherine if Frank was to have a good old fashioned Hollywood dream-state moment!)

7. Why do you think Millennium should come back?

Because I think Millennium represents a part of people that we need to see on television. Ordinary people, with families looking to make a better future from the horror that surrounds us. I've noticed shows like Medium and the Ghost Whisperer have since played the family card, but I don't see any male leads taking on the same calm, unbending devotion Frank has to his family. There is something very compelling about seeing a single man go out and look to stop evil things happening not because he's a "hero" or for the ladies, but simply because he wants to protect his family - I think TV needs more male role models like this.

The world of Frank Black is a dark one, but so is ours - what makes such a downbeat show so uplifting is the hope represented in that single character - that there are good people out there in the world, and together, we make a difference.

1. What are you watching right now?

Without accidentally pinning myself as some Carter fanatic, I just finished watching the commentary to the excellent X-Files: I Want To Believe. Christmas present. Didn't get to see the film at the cinema, enjoyed it very much as a post-Christmas treat. Other than that, this week has been an enjoyable feast of Doc Martin, the excellent Campion and a bizarre Japanese anime screener I'm reviewing for an American animation website called "School Rumble". Strange indeed.

1. My name is David ,my wife and I live in central Florida where we own a small greenhouse business.I'm 50 and some would say I'm a Jesus freak and others would say just a freak.

2. I have never watched a tv show that had so many emotional swings as Millennium. It was horrifying, spiritual,funny and extremely touching.

3. The very first episode. Being an X Files fan we were really anticipating the show before it aired.

4. It changes,but right now it's Lamentation.

5.Again it changes,for right now I would say Bletch taking Frank up into the mountians.I get a bit misty eyed at that.

6. Frank,Jordan,Lucy,and Peter if he isn't dead.

7. So much more story to tell and there is nothing on today that can touch the quality of the show.

8. Football. Oklahoma State vs Oregon.