X-Files/30 Days of Night Comic Book Crossover

Rate this topic

Does anyone know if the artist (who's work can be seen in the link) is staying for all six issues of the release? I've spent more time looking at the images and I have to say they are very underwhelming. Something as dark and as surreal as an XF/30DON crossover needs an artist that is as dark and surreal in his visuals. It needs a much more cinematic and impressive rendering than what we see above methinks. I think someone like Adam Archer could provide something much cleaner, much tighter and more 'wow'. The rendering of the bisected neck looks more akin to an uncooked leg of lamb than the actual interior of a human being.

Eth

Guest WaveCrest

When I read the synopsis info on the linked Wildstorm Comics page a few days ago I was intrigued by the mysterious black ship. Thinking about it as I type this post out it in fact reminds me of the two-part X Files stories "Colony"/"End Game" and "Nothing Important Happened Today, Parts I & II".

Hi folks,

A great update about this from the guys and gals of ComicBookResources.com. Check it out. One thing I found particularly interesting is the following quote with regards to the characterisation of Mulder and Scully.

Luckily, the guys behind X-Files were really helpful in making sure we're in character most of the time," said Niles.

I wonder who they worked with? I know Frank Spotnitz didn't seem to know about the content of the crossover when asked at his Blog and he seemed as curious as we are to see how it turns out. I remember reading that when the Topps comic was being released that Chris Carter even wanted strict editorial control of the letters page of the comic, so much so that the writers were forced to write the letters themselves so that they met expectations. When I heard about this new release I figured someone from Ten Thirteen had to be overseeing the project but if not FS then is it CC himself? Wouldn't that be cool?

Eth

• 2 weeks later...

Just seen the following link for this and it looks like it has a small preview of one of the variant covers. I wish I could find it in a larger format but that's all I can find. Mulder doesn't much like David does and Scully doesn't look much like Gillian. Maybe it comes cross better with a larger file.

Eth

• 2 weeks later...

I like the second cover a lot. They have David's likeness down to a tee but not so much so with Gillian.

I'm certainly going to pick these up and I'm looking forward to them.

Thank you for sharing Juri.

Eth

Guest WaveCrest

I had a look on the link you posted Mark, and if it's the cover image in the top right hand corner of the article (Firefox stopped a po-up window appearing three times while the page was loading up. I closed the page not long after), that was the cover for one of the issues from the six issue 2008 or 2009 series (not including the issue #0).

I like the second cover more than the first. They seem to be catering for both 30 Days of Night and X Files fans by having them on separate covers. And it has "Sept 2010" in the top left hand corner, so that means issue 1 could be out in August (usually, and it's the same with some magazines, the issue comes out in the month before the month stated on the front cover).

Guest WaveCrest

Just had a look on Wildstorm Comics' website and a cover for issue 2 has been put up on there. I got the release of issue 1 wrong. It's out on 14th July, with issue coming out on 18th August. The images of Mulder and Scully on cover A of issue 1 look like David and Gillian. Ditto with the issue 2 cover now on the Wildstorm Comics website. The URL link to the issue 2 page is below:

X Files/30 Days of Night crossover comic - issue 2 cover (source: Wildstorm Comics website)

I like the Andrea Sorrentino covers, even though the 'X' is seen in the background on both covers.