X-Files/30 Days of Night Comic Book Crossover

Rate this topic

Guest WaveCrest

I'll read issue 1 tomorrow Mark and post a short review on here.

Also, the cover for issue 4 of the crossover is now available to view on Wildstorm Comics' website, along with a description of the 4th part's synopsis.

Guest WaveCrest

Read issue 1 earlier tonight. It was a good read which got going as it went on. Some good humour, nice setting up, a bit of cliched storytelling (but quickly goes the opposite way) and a chilling cliffhanger/ending. The artwork is similar to that in the Topps/Manga/Titan X Files comics/magazines. Good to very good artwork, excellent in parts.

Sold. I've just been a little lazy about getting round to actually getting this but thank you so much for your review Richard. I'm definitely going to check it out. I have heard quite a bit about the ending of the first issue and have managed to stay spoiler free so I am looking forward to it. Could I ask as to when this story is set in terms of the X-Files universe? I notice they are drawing Scully, in particular, as much more reminiscent of her younger self than her revent appearance in "X-Files: I Want To Believe" and wondered if they have gone back in time a little for the story.

Eth

Guest WaveCrest

Sold. I've just been a little lazy about getting round to actually getting this but thank you so much for your review Richard. I'm definitely going to check it out. I have heard quite a bit about the ending of the first issue and have managed to stay spoiler free so I am looking forward to it. Could I ask as to when this story is set in terms of the X-Files universe? I notice they are drawing Scully, in particular, as much more reminiscent of her younger self than her revent appearance in "X-Files: I Want To Believe" and wondered if they have gone back in time a little for the story.

Eth

I didn't want to spoil things so I didn't go into detail. I had the comic by me but didn't look back through it when posting my comments yesterday (I'd forgotten some of what I had read earlier yesterday evening anyway). They did mention Skinner once in the first part, and yes, Scully had a younger look. I'd guess that this story could be set anytime between seasons 1 to 5, as Kersh took over Skinner's job in season 6, and by then the show had moved to Los Angeles and California. If this story had been filmed in the show, because of the wintry location it would have been set sometime between seasons 1 and 5, when The X Files was filming in British Columbia and Vancouver (the ninth season episode "Scary Monsters" had wintry/snowy scenes, but that was fake snow used).

Thank you very much for a great reply. I would assume there could well be certain obligations to for anyone wanting to use the X-Files creatively which may well stipulate that events are set within the established canon and do not attempt to add to it in terms of the mythology. I know when the Topps releases were ongoing that Ten Thirteen were meticulous at scrutinizing the scripts to ensure everything was okey dokey. I guess there's a clause somewhere that individuals aren't allowed to set serials in the shows future and I would imagine the colonisation storyline is off limits as well.

That said Frank Spotnitz did seem a little surprised by the comic when it was announced which led me to believe that ten he and Chris Carter aren't involved in the same way they used to be with the shows spin-off media.

I'd be interested to know if there are guidelines as to what can or can not be tackled.

Eth

Guest WaveCrest

Is Frank Spotnitz still working on that other X Files comic, the one which was announced or rumoured about before this crossover comic book series was announced?

I haven't a clue Richard, it's gone decidedly quiet on that front hasn't it. When last I heard he was still working on it but as far as I know the vast bulk of the writing chores were being undertaken by Gabe Rotter. It was first announced in 2009 which stated that it would more than likely be released at the beginning of 2010 but obviously that didn't come to pass. I have had a look at Gabe's blog where he mentions upcoming things to keep your eyes peeled for and I can see absolutely no mention of an X-Files comic at all. I wonder if this project became derailed somewhat and somehow mutated into the XF/30DON crossover?

Eth

Guest WaveCrest

It's possible Mark. I have a feeling this project has been ditched. Still, I hope there is a new X Files comic book mini-series or set of separate stories after the 30 Days of Night crossover.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest WaveCrest

Issue 2 of the X Files/30 Days of Night crossover comic book series was released in the UK today (the US yesterday). There appears to be a second cover (cover B) for issue 2. I saw a listing for a "cover A" on an eBay seller's shop page, but a cover B listing wasn't put up afterwards. This is nothing unusual for comics with more than one cover. But there has been no mention on Wildstorm Comics' website of a cover B for issue 2.

Had a look for it on eBay UK and US but couldn't find it.

Well I finally got around to purchasing and reading the first edition of this and I really enjoyed it. I was dubious from the off that it could be pulled of whilst still retaining a sense of XF but they did a great job. They certainly had a good, if not perfect, grasp of Mulder and Scully and it reads as well as any of the Topps releases. It certainly has a higher gore count than anything seen on the X-Files but then it had to be pitched to a mature audience to accommodate the 30 Days Of Night franchise. That said it lacks a sense of mystery and intrigue of the X-Files as very little happens in the first comic beyond blood thirsty killers wanting more blood. I would have liked a plot that was a little more imaginative than that but I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes. Count me in for issue two.

Eth