X-Files/30 Days of Night Comic Book Crossover

Rate this topic

Guest WaveCrest

I checked on Wildstorm Comics' website yesterday and they had the front cover and synopsis for issue 5 on there. The story does get going as the series goes on (based on the synopsis for issues 2 to 5).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest WaveCrest

Read issue 2 yesterday and thought it was more of the same, but with the urgency stepped up a slight notch. Again, the ending is one to remember. Enjoyed the humour between Mulder and Scully in this one.

A nice review here for the 2nd issue as discussed above. It would seem that the reception to this is overwhelmingly positive and it also seems like this is largely an X-Files comic with 30DON tacked on which is a nice bonus for the Philes out there.

I have to say this caught my eye...

Once again, I’ve been pleasantly surprised by WildStorm’s latest X-Files outing. After the complete and utter despair that was the last X-Files mini-series, I was quite skeptical of the 30 Days of Night crossover series. But then I heard that Steve Niles was involved, and my mind was eased a bit. Then issue #1 came out (read our review of X-Files/30 Days of Night #1) and I knew the publisher and creative team might be onto something.

...I wonder if the reviewer realises that the last X-Files mini-series was written by none other than Frank Spotnitz. I would say he was in safer hands the last time around than this. :rolleyes:

Eth

Guest WaveCrest

Now I thought the two-part first story in the last X Files comic book mini-series (which reminded me of the episode "Wetwired") was great stuff.

So did I Richard. At first I wondered if there was another mini-series that he might be referring to. As far as I can tell, every effort was made to make the Spotnitz comic as authentically "X-Files" as can be achieved in words and pictures and it succeeded rather well on that score. As enjoyable as XF3DON is it does feel like Mulder and Scully out of the realm we are familiar to seeing them in and I don't see how that can be seen as preferable to what came before. That said, one man's meat is another man's poison and all that.

Eth

I have Richard, I read it yesterday. I have to say the one thing that has impressed me thus far is how much they have Mulder and Scully's voices down. The banter between them is very well constructed and it's evident that whoever wrote it adores the X-Files and is treating it with great respect. I hope this does well and I hope it signals more releases in the future. I don't know what happened to the Spotnitz/Rotter comic (I've send an email to someone who might though) but this is good enough for me in the meantime.

Eth

Guest WaveCrest

It might be a storytelling cliche (of when someone is in an environment they're not used to), but I have liked the running joke of Mulder not wearing enough warm clothing for the location they're at (an example being in issue 2, when Scully reminds Mulder to wear a coat).

I wonder if it's an in-joke to "X-Files: Fight The Future"? I remember at the conclusion of the film Mulder is seen with Scully in Antarctica and though she is wearing a coat he is not. I know fans at the time complained that given the temperature he would have died in a relatively short space of time given the severely cold temperatures. Mind you there's the whole 'how did they get out of that one' running joke that even made it to the televised show as I recall.

I would love it if that was in the comic as a nod to the Philes.

Eth

• 3 weeks later...
Guest WaveCrest

Wildstorm Comics have the front cover and synopsis for the sixth and final part of the X Files/30 Days of Night crossover comic book series up on their website. Very nice front cover artwork. The bottom of the front cover reminds me of the XF: I Want to Believe movie poster artwork. The URL link to the Wildstorm Comics page for issue 6 is below:

The X Files/30 Days of Night comic book crossover - issue 6 front cover and synopsis