Philip Baker Hall

Rate this topic

Guest arcanamundi

Guest arcanamundi

I would just like to offer a salute to Philip Baker Hall, the great actor who played The Elder /Old Man on Millennium. While he is known primarily as a dramatic actor, he reduced me to tears of laughter in his turn as The Library Cop on Seinfeld. It was one of the funniest bits on the show. With the same deadpan, serious-as-a-heart-attack delivery that distinguished him in such films as Magnolia, Secret Honor, and others, he manages to be hysterically funny here, as an investigator who tracks down delinquent borrowers for overdue books....

RG Armstrong will always be "The Old Man" to me but as Phillip Baker Hall assumed the mantle at the end of Roosters I guess he qualifies. Thank you for sharing those clips he was a great performer, I agree. I was delighted to see him appear in The Amityville Horror remake as Father Callaway. Have you guys seen him Magnolia? He should at least have garnered an Oscar nomination as he was incredible.

Eth

• Elders (Moderators)

Earthnut - just click on where it says "Watch on YouTube" just under the "Embedding...." and you'll get redirected to YouTube where it'll open the clip for you.

I have no real idea why embedding sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. It may be a piece of code added by whoever uploaded the clip to YouTube so that people have to go to YouTube and maybe leave a comment or increase their hits, or whatever.

Guest arcanamundi

It's showing me "embedding disabled by request." Don't understand. Why can't I watch the videos?

Yes, sorry about that. That's the way the link came. Thanks for the explanation, Libby. I wondered why someone did that.

Interestingly enough something occurred to me yesterday with regards to Phillip Baker Hall. Whilst he has appeared in countless films and TV shows he is fondly remembered for his appearance in "Hard Eight" which is where he really gained a lot of accolades. Glen Morgan and James Wong named their production company "Hard Eight" and I wonder if they cast him in the show because they had admired his work on that film? It wouldn't be the first time that something they liked made it to the screen in Millennium.

Eth

• Elders (Admins)

Great clips, thanks for sharing!

Yes, when people upload to Youtube and other media sites they can choose to allow or disallow embedding of the clips in other people's websites, blogs and e-mails.

• 2 weeks later...