Snow Files of the Week

Rate this topic

Sorry Alex, but I'm not understanding whether there's an album available or not.  Anything by Mark I want.

Yes, a dark track, but still good as usual.

Thanks again, for the track and for the rose.  :52:

• Elders (Moderators)
On 22.5.2017 at 10:27 PM, Earthnut said:

Sorry Alex, but I'm not understanding whether there's an album available or not.  Anything by Mark I want.

Yes, a dark track, but still good as usual.

Thanks again, for the track and for the rose.  :52:

Well, it seems Mark recorded several tracks, 25 minutes of music for this album, but not the rest of the tracks. So the album was never released and it seems that Mark has lost interest in it, because the label told me, that they contacted Mark on this behalf, but never got a response.

Snow Files of the Week: "Good Morning L.A./Jason's Theme" from the motion picture "Skateboard" (1978).

This is a very early piece of music by Mark, back in the days, when he wasn't composing dark and moody electronic music yet. The music is very groovy and relaxed, perfect for a summer day on the beach.

An album was released with the movie, which contains some tracks by Mark and 70's style Skateboard songs. It is only available on vinyl and audio cassette, maybe someday we will see a CD release too.

Enjoy!

It was certainly different from the Mark Snow music we're used to.  Enjoyable, but not something I would listen to often.  Thanks Alex, for the variety you post.  I look forward to hearing what you post every week.

I don't have time to go through 37 pages, but was it you Alex, that posted a mystery clip of Mark's music (4:55)?  It's 59 MB and too big for me to upload here, and I don't remember where I found it in the first place, unless it was from your page or here.  Not finding it anywhere else.  It doesn't have a video, just an image of Mark throughout the track.

Yes, you did post it at Vimeo, just not sure if it was posted here.  It is now, or, posted again.

As always, thank you.

Edited by Earthnut

• Elders (Moderators)

I think I did post it here, but I'm not so sure either. Have to look it up.

Snow Files of the Week: "A Cop for the Killing" (1990).

This is a tv movie from the "In the Line of Duty" series. These were movies based on real events, produced in the 1980's and early 1990's. Mark Snow composed to several of them a score in his trademark electronic style. It might have been music from these movies, that got Mark the job on The X-Files, since a piece of score from the "In the Line of Duty" movie "Street War" was also put into the X-Files episode "Gender Bender" from the first season.

Intrada released a CD with scores from the "In the Line of Duty" movies, composed by Mark Snow, in the early 1990's. This CD is out of print, but still can be found for very reasonable prices. It features music from "Mob Justice", "The Twilight Murders", "Street War" and "A Cop for the Killing", each put together as a musical suite.

Enjoy!

As always, thank you Alex for your post.

I have this album, and really appreciate hearing a track from it again.  Been a long time since I listened to it.  The first part of the track has a catchy rhythm to it, so you kinda wanta sway with it.  Got intense in the middle, and then soft and soothing near the end, and then the end gets fast paced, slows, and then finalizes with an awesome trumpet.  Oh how I love trumpets since my father used to play one.  Listening to this track was like watching a TV episode or a movie; an entire story in 19 minutes.

:23:  :280:

• Like 1

• Elders (Moderators)

Snow Files of the Week: "Evan's Theme/The Long Walk" from the comedy short movie "Dancing Cow" (2000).

"After getting noticed by Miramax Pictures for his short film, a filmmaker has a moral dilemma when it comes up to facing the truth about the work he may (or may not) have made." (IMDb.com)

Another more obscure piece of music by Mark, although his style is immediately recognizable. In fact, the music has grand and uplifting moments, as well as wacky comedy.

The music was never released commercially, but it definitely deserves to be.

Enjoy!

• Elders (Moderators)

Snow Files of the Week: "Capsules/A Mother Never Forgets/Mulder’s Memories" from "The X-Files: The Event Series", episode "Founder's Mutation" (2016).

As the X-Files returned in 2016 so did Mark Snow. His music for the new episodes is familiar, but with enough new elements to keep it interesting. The score is more minimalistic overall, but nevertheless Mark wrote some wonderful themes.

"Founder's Mutation" is the second episode of the event series. It evolves around a scientist who is experimenting on children with genetic anomalities to cure them. Scully and Mulder have visions of their son William, who is genetically different too. At the end of the episode Mulder fantasizes about his son William being grown up to schoolboy-age. He plays with him, builds a rocket and launches it and witnesses his abduction, just like he did with his sister. Back in reality Mulder looks at a photo of William. The music by Mark for this scene, "Mulder's Memories", is surely one of the most beautiful tracks of the event series.

Enjoy!