The lone gunmen pilot

Rate this topic

seesthru

Anyway,  I have to admit a  weird and sad feeling about the lone gunmen pilot, seeing how  the lot was,  and wishing so badly that  the  actual  attack on the Pentagon, and the towers and the plane down in PA  could have been prevented or stopped just like in the Lone Gunmen.   One saving grace for teh show in that episode is that it is a   goofy show.  The goofiness alleviates the tension.

• Elders (Moderators)

Reading back what I wrote up there, I think I might have been insensitive to talk about the science involved, because that's not really the important issue. Both the X-Files and The Lone Gunmen were about how much we can trust the government. Even the most democratically-elected governments operate at times in secret, but without public scrutiny of what they're up to, we can't be sure that it's operating in the best interests of the country.

From the transcript of The Lone Gunmen pilot episode:

BYERS SNR:

There you go again. Blaming the entire government as usual. In fact, a small faction ...

BYERS:

For what possible gain?

BYERS SNR:

The Cold War's over, John. But with no clear enemy to stockpile against, the arms market's flat. But bring down a fully loaded 727 into the middle of New York City and you'll find a dozen tinpot dictators all over the world just clamoring to take responsibility, and begging to be smart-bombed.

BYERS:

I can't believe this. This is about increasing arms sales?

[Byers Snr nods.]

So, even before the attacks, the 1013 writers had come up with a plausible explanation.

Personally, I do have doubts about how some senior UK politicians ended up so wealthy.

Well?  Cheney and pals ( haliburton et al) made buttloads of money off the  wars and arms sales after the attacks, and probably profited form the increased militarization of police departments and  state organizations who all went out and loaded up on the  humvees, armored vehicles  and big weaponry etc.. So they were very prophetic but also they learned from history. Lots of money is to be made  from war, and those making the money are usually supplying all sides involved.

The elite and politicians, world-wide, make a lot of money selling arms to other countries.  War is very profitable for them, but very costly for the people, not just with our finances, but with our lives.  Maybe that's where the term, "Makes a Killing," comes from.  I will try and find time to research it after I solve my computer problem.