#2 Dod Kolm

#3 The 6th Extinction

#4 The 6th Extinction II "Amour Fatti"

#5 Biogenesis

#6 Post-Modern Prometheus

#8 In the Big Inning

#9 Jose Chung's From Outer Space

#10 "All Things"

(bonus one....Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose)

And from season 9..... "Improbable"

Guest Frank L.

Because I can't make one list of my favourite X-Files episodes, I'll make two, divided in stand-alone and mythology episodes. They're in no particular order. Here goes:

10 Best Stand-Alone Episodes of The X-Files:

"Squeeze"

"Ice"

"Paper Hearts"

"Mind's Eye"

"Folie à Deux"

"Drive"

"Field Trip"

"Via Negativa"

now some difficulties:

Tie between "The Host" and "Sleepless"

They're both great episodes. Very exciting. Classic X-Files.

Various Season 9 episodes:

"4-D" / "Audrey Pauley" / "Release" / "Sunshine Days"

10 Best Mythology Episodes of The X-Files:

"Pilot" (The X-Files)

"Duane Barry"/"One Breath"

"Anasazi"/"Paper Clip"

"Redux II"

"Patient X"/"The Red and The Black"

"The X-Files Movie: Fight The Future"

"Biogenesis"

"Closure"

"Requiem"

"Within"

• 2 weeks later...

DOGGETT: So have you got anything really heavy that I can move for you, a dresser, a fridge.

Awwww - bless him.

post-1185-1120841414_thumb.jpg

I'm gonna do the unthinkable and go all gooey over Season Nine (eth.snafu: always wide off the mark, always heretical, very usually wrong.)

As an individual who made a huge, and quite unnecessary, emotional investment in the X-Files (I cried, cheered, swore and wore T-shirts throughout it's nine seasons) I do not choose this episode lightly nor do I believe anyone will understand why but here it is human papillomavirus and all.

4-D really choked me. Unlike most of my peers I adored Reyes and Doggett (written in order of preference) and to inherit the loftiest of mantles and make me care so much, sooooo much, was proof of my nine long years of faith in Chris Carter. The scene of all scenes in this episode is Doggett's arrival at Reyes' pad armed with polish sausage and the pickle wiping moment that follows, watching that, and without all the aeons of slow-burning inneundo, I felt all the zing I had felt during Mulder and Scully's best 'shipper' scenes - no mean feat I can tell you. I loved the refreshing directness of Reyes, she stuck her heart on her sleeve and left her coyness in another dimension, and whilst the early intention that Reyes would be the X-Files' Frank Black, complete with visions a-go-go, she had an empathic resonance that spoke volumes without any implicit need to give it an onscreen depiction. She always reminded me of a Karen Carpenter vocal, soft but unnervingly powerful and it is with all due credit to Annabeth Gish that 4-D is brilliant because of it. Whilst cooing over Reyes I don't want to ignore Robert

Patrick who cringes and dosen't-deal all through their intimate scenes but proves, by allowing himself to die to reboot Reyes' world, that his reticence hid an ineffable trust, respect and love. Marry all the emotive elements to inter-dimensional murderer, the Clamato drinking homage-to-'Psycho' mother and it's a cracker of an episode.

The only moot point rests in the ending which is similar to that of Audrey Pauley, namely: 'I've just gone to Tartarus and back and revealed my core feelings but it's ok because you were a simulacrum/unconscious/metamorph/amnesic/inhabiting someone else's body/et al' - but I guess the Mulder/Scully syndrome made amazing TV once so why mend an unbroken thing.

REYES "I'm good....I'm good......"

Damn right girl, you most certainly were.

Till then,

ufans.hte

Ravenwolf - You chose 'All Things' as one of your top ten. I LOVE this episode it is my number two and I have spent many years trying to justify it to fellow Philes. It is genius and so are you - I don't feel quite so alone any more. :oneeyedwinK

Guest lonegungrrly1121
I don't remember the title but one of my favorites was the flashbacks episode where "Cancer Man's" past was shown.  I found it very interesting how they showed his evolution from a young, non-smoking, non-conspiratorial patriotic GI into a middle-aged, chainsmoking, black-ops hit man conspirator.

:angel: to  :devil:  in one episode!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that episode is aptly named 'musings of a cigarette smoking man' :bigsmile:

hhhmmm... favourite episode of ALL TIME?! woow too many to choose!! i think 'Memento Mori' is up there with some of my all time favouites, as are season 8's 'Road Runners' and season 9's 'Daemonicus'... because I go gooey all over season 8 and 9. very strange. while it has been meantioned up there ^^^ somewhere that the reyes and doggett relationship brought on feelings on par to earlier mulder/scully moments, i feel the same way about doggett/scully moments. road runners is an amazing DSR episode, how doggett unconditionally looks out for scully and travels half way across the world to her rescue. initially, i thought that, yes, opposites attract (mulder and scully)

but for a more lasting relationship i think doggett/scully all the way. sadly it was never meant to be :cry: hence all my DSR collages (and the odd Folmer/ Reyes collage) in my gallery

Thought I better do it correctly so here is my top ten X-Files episodes of all time or at least for this week. If you read back through this thread it's interesting to note a smattering of 'unlike old joe soap I loved Season Eight/Nine" type mutterings. Maybe we are not alone? Maybe there was a deep undercurrent of gushy love beneath the rabid vitriol daubed across the old X-Files message boards, maybe they didn't really want to gouge our eyes out when we posted fluffy messages about Doggett or Reyes - oh the grainy-grey past of message board bloodshed makes one a little sentimental.

Drum roll please - here it is...

(x) 4-D

(x) All Things

(x) Never Again

(x) Milagro

(x) Small Potatoes

(x) Audrey Pauley

(x) Rain King

(x) Sanguinarium

(x) X-Cops

(x) John Doe

By the way I had a gander at your collages Lonegungrrly and they are lush. I love X-Files/Millennium fan art/collages and the like and yours are mighty fine. I'm very much a beginner at such things but it is more addictive than (insert addictive drug). I remember someone posting a request for X-Files avatars around these parts but cannot find the post unfortunately but I came across these X-Files Avatars and Other Nuggets and think they are fantastical - hope said poster finds their way here.

Till then,

eth.snafu

post-1185-1120854592.jpg

#Queequeg we love you,

Queequeg we do....#

Guest lonegungrrly1121
If you read back through this thread it's interesting to note a smattering of 'unlike old joe soap I loved Season Eight/Nine" type mutterings. Maybe we are not alone? Maybe there was a deep undercurrent of gushy love beneath the rabid vitriol daubed across the old X-Files message boards, maybe they didn't really want to gouge our eyes out when we posted fluffy messages about Doggett or Reyes - oh the grainy-grey past of message board bloodshed makes one a little sentimental.

Drum roll please - here it is...

(x) 4-D

(x) All Things

(x) Never Again

(x) Milagro

(x) Small Potatoes

(x) Audrey Pauley

(x) Rain King

(x) Sanguinarium

(x) X-Cops

(x) John Doe

By the way I had a gander at your collages Lonegungrrly and they are lush. I love X-Files/Millennium fan art/collages and the like and yours are mighty fine. I'm very much a beginner at such things but it is more addictive than (insert addictive drug). I remember someone posting a request for X-Files avatars around these parts but cannot find the post unfortunately but I came across these X-Files Avatars and Other Nuggets and think they are fantastical - hope said poster finds their way here.

Till then,

eth.snafu

post-1185-1120854592.jpg

#Queequeg we love you,

Queequeg we do....#

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you know, maybe you're right. there are certainly a lot more season 8/9 fans on this messege board than in the entire x files community. it's nice to be greeted with a 'i see where you're coming from' rather than 'eugh doggett sucks ass we miss mulder *insert childish remarks here*'

thanks for the compliments on my collages! they've been stuck on my hard drive for a while now, and with my new(ish) found love of MM, i'm getting the bug again! do you have any you'd like to share? (as im sure i've said before!) i love your signature.

your top ten is very interesting. you have chosen virtually all of the episodes that most 'mainstream fans' (is there such a thing?!) dislike. Never Again is usually slated because it is 'out of character' (which basically translates as scully shows interest in anyone but mulder lol) but i agree, i love never again. it shows a darker side to scully that i wish was explored further. speaking of which, the only person who dared go there again was gillian anderson herself with 'All Things' what another great episode!

also, small potatoes was my favourite episode for about 3 years! it holds a special place in my heart because it was the first episode i ever saw, and the one that got me well and truely hooked. i saw it when i was 10 (god now i feel like a babyl!!)

i must have been mature for my age. my most memorable x files related moment was sneaking into the x files movie (opened on aug 21st and i watched it at 12:45 - still have the ticket!! :eyes: ) when i was 11. the show was a 15 so i am so glad i managed to sneak in twice!!

went off on a tangent breifly there! the one that sticks out to me in your list is sanguinarium. personally i found that to be a weak spot in a very strong season (4) though it is really funny when mulder is looking at his own nose in the plastic surgery virtual program.

'Vanity, Vanity, all is Vanity'

i think i shall follow suit and list my top ten (in no particular order), i mean it is impossible to choose your absolute favourite out of over 200 episodes IMO

-memento mori

-daemonicus

-road runners

-small potatoes

-pilot

-pusher (how could i forget such a classic?!)

-irresistible (most MM like Xf episode IMO)

-Release

-Emily (could just be because its my name lol)

-alone

a mixed bag if ever there was one! anyone else? (i think thats the longest post i have ever written- i think i'm finally growing out of my one lined quips :fool: )

Guest lonegungrrly1121
Poor Queequeg.  :down:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree... nastly big blue / oversized alegator eating him up :cry: