The New Frank Black Series

Rate this topic

some info that was passed along to me from some of my west coast pals. Fox's rating are not that well even though American idol does well and 24. With ABC as the top dog in ratings and shares Fox is willing to get back on track. Fox is intrested in bringing Frank Black back to a weekly series due to the DVD sales and the online petition. Chris Carter may very well again play second fiddle while others maybe more fulltime.....Lance Henriksen-Kousakis-Wright-Perry-Johannsen might be part of the creative process of this new series.

I am speculating myself here that this may very well be a fish out of water type series. Frank in a new town, i think somewhere i California. O'Quinn may very well be out of this picture. No Morgan and Wong means no more fairy tales and back to the basics of real horror and evil. Lets all cross our fingers

In that regard, has there ever been a network TV show that, after being cancelled, was brought back years later? I think in and of itself, the idea of bringing MillenniuM back would be tight as hell.

Holler at ur dawg.

Guest awkwardsilence

I think this thing is just a rumor..

"Family Guy" though, was cancelled twice!

And brought back due to tremendous DVD sales..

So, it is possible..

I think many shows have had huge DVD sales lately,

although no "old" shows have been picked up and continued yet..

It could be only a question of time..

Back in Black!

I've been really intrigued by the idea of a new Millennium which made me amble back to where the old Millennium left off. Unfortunately, and I do mean that, X-Files: Millennium is canon so whatever tentative steps a new show would take would have to begin its journey from there: an apocalypse of Carter's own making. The Millennium group had fallen into disrepute, their operations noted as illegal and the group finally disbanded some months before December 1999. After a dodgy recipe of necromancy and 'George Romero' the Millennium passes without incident (even if you share Scully's 'it isn't till next year' we can safely assume that that one passed without incident also.) Since Millennium used precisely that point in time as its cornerstone it isn't exactly fertile soil for a resurrection.

Wot no group?

With the 'bad group' ideology of season three came a new premise: a show about a group it didn't really feature, the group's tenuous grip on the plot kept barely alive by Frank's vengeance, though I would argue that Emma Hollis was pivotal in keeping Millennium in Millennium. By the 'Sound of Snow' Frank has been afforded some resolution to the 'Catherine' issue and in Bardo Thodol he actively encourages Emma to begin putting aside her misconceptions and disagrees with her description of Watts as evil: he is mellowing and the group is becoming less of a 'red rag to a bull' - The Group's manipulations remain at the fore primarily through their corruption of Emma Hollis - it is her evolution through scepticism, rage and finally acceptance that gives the group the reason it needs to remain in the plot: in my opinion its death did not occur in the X-Files but the bell had already begun to toll in Season Three.

Aside from the demise of the group any return to Millennium would be hindered by the distinct lack of an upcoming Millennium. As 'that' Millennium has now gone so with it has every foreboding association with the word: rather than a potential TEOTWAKI it is simply the night that few of us, who had a really good time, can remember. Admittedly you can sidle up to the Mayan apocalyptic calender, add a pinch of pyramid prophecy and a few spoonfuls of Nostradamus (Old Faithful) for good measure but the all pervasive associations between the Millennium and the Apocalypse have to go: I even remember an episode where Watts used the word Millennium where he should have used Apocalypse, so amalgamated were the two concepts to the mythology of the show. Conceptually there would have to be drastic rethink..........

I guess it is possible, I scrawled notes on how and why it could be done, getting so far as to type them into this message before cutting them (it was getting too much like fanfic) but I can't see it happening. Chris Carter used the X-Files as funerary rites for Millennium and The Lone Gunmen. He buried them, lay a wreath and sang a few verses of 'Abide With Me' in the sense that he made fundamental changes to the very fabric of both shows that would render them unsalvageable: Millennium without a Millennium Group and The Lone Gunmen without any Gunmen (lone or otherwise). I even have growing doubts that there will be an X-Files Movie resurrection though in comparison he left that show's mythology vague and vast enough to be explored further, his other projects were left with their universe's crushed.

I would gouge my eyes out for a Millennium movie, there is need, and room for closure but there would have to be a radical shift away from the events, and outcomes of the X-Files episode. It would be hard to offer closure about The Millennium universe if it has, as claimed, ceased to exist. How about 'Frank takes a shower and the events of X-Files: Millennium were all a dream'. Nah thought not. Maybe it's just me that hates that episode on every level?

Till then,

ethsnafu

post-1185-1118170600_thumb.jpg

It is to my knowledge from reading and watching interviews with Chris Carter that the premise of MM is about a extraordinary person (Frank Black) with a gift that works as a profiler for the Millenium Group(Academy Group) that solves crimes towards the end of the century. He never percluded that a apocolyptic event would happen, Morgan and Wong put that in the mythology. Carter does have biblical inspiration when putting this series together. Using the old standard of true orgin of evil(Satan and his crew) he put this notion into motion. So by saying that if there is a movie or series again with Frank it would be based once again on a extraordinary man dealing with unordinary people. I am sure Carter will put Humpty back together again

Guest blondton13
It is to my knowledge from reading and watching interviews with Chris Carter that the premise of MM is about a extraordinary person (Frank Black) with a gift that works as a profiler for the Millenium Group(Academy Group) that solves crimes towards the end of the century. He never percluded that a apocolyptic event would happen, Morgan and Wong put that in the mythology.  Carter does have biblical inspiration when putting this series together. Using the old standard of true orgin of evil(Satan and his crew) he put this notion into motion.  So by saying that if there is a movie or series again with Frank it would be based once again on a extraordinary man dealing with unordinary people.  I am sure Carter will put Humpty back together again

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, Joe. There doesn't have to be a "millennium" to revive MillenniuM. People always have a fear about the end of the world~look at "Revelations". The biblical prophesies referred to in the show would be as relevant now as they were in 98~99. Another example-The Davinci Code.

Besides, as you stated , the importance of the show revolved around Frank as a man, and his efforts to right what wrongs he could. That's just my take.

I agree, Joe. There doesn't have to be a "millennium" to revive MillenniuM. People always have a fear about the end of the world~look at "Revelations". The biblical prophesies referred to in the show would be as relevant now as they were in 98~99. Another example-The Davinci Code.

Besides, as you stated , the importance of the show revolved around Frank as a man, and his efforts to right what wrongs he could. That's just my take.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Blondton13....you are right in the respect it would not take a "MillenniuM" to revive the old MillenniuM..true the biblical prophesies are relevant today, however, the dread and uncertainty that precluded the turn of the century was the driving force which complimented said prophecies..

The dread was palpable, the fear and uncertainty was most certainly the mainstay of society as the time drew near...regular, intelligent people left everything behind and fled to the mountains to find their sanctuary for the approaching doom in cold damp caves. Others stockpiled on food and water, they bought gas masks, and filled their backyards with emergency generators. Then to assure the fact that they would be the chosen survivors amongst their next door neighbors, they stockpiled weapons and ammunition, ready at a moments notice to defend their property at all costs...a once bucolic era, reduced to "survival of the fittest".

It struck a personal cord with me when an acquaintance of mine left his job and family behind, fled the state of California and settled on the East Coast, all because of a Nostradameus prediction, which of course, never came to pass...

Neither did the much vaulted planetary alignment of 5/5/2000, so aptly described in Force Majure..

Fear and hysteria were at peak levels approaching the millennium. Today, 5 years post, i dont know just what could be extrapolated from anything but a MillenniuM movie. Certain loose ends need to be tied up, Lucy Butler, Jordan's maturation along with her developing skills, and a few others. My opinion is how much can you rehash biblical prophecy in order to establish a premise of doom.

How many times in history has theological apocrypha been trumpeted, creating a sense of hysteria, how many times has it been used to assume absolute power, diverting society's attention from more vital concerns..

How many times can biblical prophecy be quoted from Revelations or Mark, before it becomes just a spector in the realm of reality, the rantings of a people gone completely mad?