Who Are Your 2 Fave Millennium Series Characters ?

Rate this topic

Guest GBaxter

Guest GBaxter

Who were and are your 2 favorite Millennium series characters from seasons 1 - 3 and please state why, for each one named.

If this has been discussed here before, please include a link, but I did a search and couldn't find anything.

Guest lonegungrrly1121

hhmm, what a cool question... it's hard!!

ok, I'll start by choosing the obvious: Frank.

he's such a wonderful, pure person. he's so dignified and respectful of everyone. He is the reluctant hero, and a 100% family man. He's lovely :clapping:

second favourite character.... much harder!! I'm torn between Lara, Catherine and Emma.... OK I'll go with season 1's Catherine.

Don't Frank and Catherine have such an idealic life? In season 1, before Catherine transforms into an Uber-B!tch, she is understanding, funny, careing and they have a great and heart-warming Family unit.

there are my choices :bigsmile:

post-1156-1123153398_thumb.jpg

Guest SouthernCelt

For obvious reasons, Frank has to be the No. 1 fave for the series. Without him and his unique "insights" there would be no reason for MM being.

Second, I'm torn between Peter and Lara. Each brought their own contribution to the continuing story line. If forced to pick one, it'd be Peter since he brought more mystery to the plotline, plus he had a longer time to figure into the overall progression of the show.

Guest Jabina

Frank! I don't think there is need to explain.

And second, good question. Peter, Lara or Catherine or even Giebelhouse. I don't know. So many interesting characters.

Jabina :kissypoo:

Guest ZeusFaber

Well, I'm going to skip Frank. He's got to be everyone's favourite character, as his superb intensity and depth is the centre of the show.

So, I'm going to go with my favourite 2 characters OTHER than Frank:

1. Peter Watts -- another deep and layered character, played brilliantly by Terry O'Quinn. He was there from the beginning, and grew and eveolved over time. Although forced to become something different when S2 changed the show, his complexity weathered those changes and still remained a character of nobility thanks to such episodes as "Collateral Damage" and "Goodbye to All That".

2. Lucy Butler -- again, very complex and layered. Her debut in "Lamentation" was excellent, fearsome yet seductive, sweet yet intensely evil. Her return in "A Room With No View" was less spectacular, but returned to form with "Antipas". Even scanse glimpses of her in "Powers, Principalities, Thrones and Dominion" and "Saturn Dreaming of Mercury" were enough to raise interest. And then of course there is her multi-faceted nature, quite literally, appearing as both male and female, and of course the face of the Devil. Well written and outstandingly portrayed by Sarah-Jane Redmond.

I hate to sound obvious and predictable, but yes..... of course Frank! :frank_black:

He is part of a dying breed. Society NEEDS the "hero" caracter... Now more than ever before.

For a favorite 2nd caracter....

Laura )as a regularly recurring caracter). She gave such a human touch to the series. She could be funny and dark all at the same time. She was practical, forceful, and courageous.... yet a wonderfully feminine woman. She came along right when Frank needed someone. Someone to understand him. Someone to relate to. Something he hadn't had with Catherine.

For a not-so-often recurring caracter, I'd have to say The Old Man. He was just all around perfect! He was the classic, eccentric, wise man on the mountain... which is a pillar in mythology. This is what made Millennium so great. There were well defined caracters that are seen in all of mythology. The reluctant hero, the wise man, the villain/devil................

Oh, I could go on and on....

But you get the idea

:Ouroborous_Large::Ouroborous_Large::Ouroborous_Large:

:Owls_Ouro_Large::Owls_Ouro_Large::Owls_Ouro_Large:

Frank every time, morning, noon and night but then as that is a 'given' I'm gonna have to be obvious to a fault and opt for.....

1) Lara - Infallible, frail, impassioned and vital she is an enigma, undiscovered and arcane. Unfortunately her character was never afforded any closure, remaining bound to a bed in televisual oblivion, which is a shame as so many remarkable things were hinted upon in Owls, Roosters and Anamnesis that I am convinced she would have emerged darkly in season three as something more akin to the role adopted by Peter Watts. She is also awarded the 'eth-laugh-out-loud-gold-statue' for the moment in Anamnesis where she leans over to Catherine, glib and narcissistic and mutters "He's not a cliche?" in reference to the brimstone ramblings of Reverend Hanes. Must also note that she changes her underwear everyday in case she has to be identified.....(cue realisation)..."well that's not the only reason"....ah the bliss.

2) The Old Man - To my mind was a stroke of genius to depict the zenith of the Millennium Group, the 'keeper of the scrolls' as a quasi-mystical vagrant who observes and records the heavens in his archives in Greek which is fascinating considering that the word planet comes from the Greek πλανήτης, planētēs which means "wanderer" or more forcefully "vagrant, tramp". I'm still fascinated by Lara's assertion that Frank's powers, and seemingly hers, grew in stature simply by exposure to him and wether or not he shares Lara's angelic visions or sees her angel in his death scene for some hitherto only speculated upon notion. He is representative of an archetype who Jung notes "...is a form of the animus, and reveals to the hero the nature of the collective unconscious..." and as his protege matures this Wise Old Men must "... die and become a part of him."

Ahh love 'em all....

eth

Well, I'm going to skip Frank.  He's got to be everyone's favourite character, as his superb intensity and depth is the centre of the show.

So, I'm going to go with my favourite 2 characters OTHER than Frank:

1. Peter Watts -- another deep and layered character, played brilliantly by Terry O'Quinn.  He was there from the beginning, and grew and eveolved over time.  Although forced to become something different when S2 changed the show, his complexity weathered those changes and still remained a character of nobility thanks to such episodes as "Collateral Damage" and "Goodbye to All That".

2. Lucy Butler -- again, very complex and layered.  Her debut in "Lamentation" was excellent, fearsome yet seductive, sweet yet intensely evil.  Her return in "A Room With No View" was less spectacular, but returned to form with "Antipas".  Even scanse glimpses of her in "Powers, Principalities, Thrones and Dominion" and "Saturn Dreaming of Mercury" were enough to raise interest.  And then of course there is her multi-faceted nature, quite literally, appearing as both male and female, and of course the face of the Devil.  Well written and outstandingly portrayed by Sarah-Jane Redmond.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bravo Zeus...Frank is too obvious a choice...guess we are talking about fairly static (regulars) more than the dynamic ones (guests)...

I have to say i agree with your selection of Lucy Butler...most definately one of those who left an indelible mark on the series...

my 2nd choice would be Phillip Baker Hall....to me he exemplified everything an elder of the Group should be, forceful yet understanding, a beacon of stability in the seas of change...his voice, ahh, that wonderful voice as well...and not a better choice to hand over the reigns to after the demise of the Old Man...dont know if he is present in the 3rd season or not, but as for me, put a check mark by his name...

The Fourth Horseman...

Guest ModernDayMoriarty

Well... Frank just has to be number one doesn't he? In a time when there seem to be hard drinking, chain-smoking, spousal cheats etc etc Frank stands out as a true Hero. He cares so much it hurts - it hurts us as viewers just watching it! Lance H provides a performance so chilling, thrilling, captivating and mesmerising that you literally could watch any episode and still not be -that- dissapointed even if you hated the episode with a vengeance.

So, other characters...

1) Peter Watts.

An excellent character from a much beloved I think, actor. Gifted with an expanded role by Chip J and M+W, O'Quinn really stepped up to the plate and was almost unique as being the only Season One actor to seriosuly command the screen anywhere near as much as Lance H (Bill Smitrovich also did so he's not quite unique...) But over the 3 Seasons, Watts shows us everything. He is a man who passionately believes in the purpose of the MLM Group but he is still troubled by what they do sometimes. Losing the respect of Frank and his daughter Taylor, you can see the pain he's in during Season 3 and despite all he's done you have to feel for him.

2) Jordan (Season 3 mainly).

In S3, Brittany Tiplady shows just how great a young actress she was. I challenge anyone to watch Lance and Brittany in their scenes together during S3 and not smile. It's touching and occasionally heartbreaking to see them together (The Innocents, Borrowed Time and Saturn Dreaming of Mercury spring to mind for this). Losing so much at so a young age but still having so much love and joy to give that it imbues everyone near with a sense of goodness, she sparkles.

Here are my two favourites, even above Frank. *shock, horror!*

1 - PETER WATTS

Couldn't agree more with ModerndayMoriarty about this character, or indeed the legend that is TO'Q. Infact, i'll say nothing more on the subject.

2 - BRIAN ROEDECKER

How can this guy not be in anyone's top three? Surely the fourth, lost Lone Gunman, ol' Brian really brought some wonderful comic moments to some of the best S2 episodes.

Oh, and can I just say that Lara Means was a close second. Or, sex on legs, as I call her. :gaba: