Abandon Hope, All Ye Who Enter...

Rate this topic

4th Horseman

Forty-nine people have been indicted in a scam to pocket Red Cross hurricane relief funds and more indictments are expected, according to Justice Department officials.Authorities said 22 people working for a Red Cross contractor at a call center in Bakersfield, California, filed false claims, and by involving family members and friends, brought the number of people under indictment to 49.

Man, it doesn't get much worse than this, does it?

4th Horseman..

• Elders (Moderators)

The selfish and the stupid have been with us since the dawn of time. (OK, I could be more specific time-wise in scientific terms, but that's not the point.)

I do empathise with your reactions to the selfish/stupid people of this world, though I suspect that I could be called on some of the decisions I've made over the years. As I get older and maybe wiser, I can look back at some of the things that I've done and wonder how the younger me could have been so naive.

There is the need to be aware of the simplistic/naive views of people who can't see beyond their own heads, and also those who seek to gain from disasters. We had one such case in the UK of a man who pretended he had lost a daughter in the tsunami last Christmas, just for what he'd gain emotionally and possibly financially from that.

We can get swayed into thinking that evil is the Big Evil - but sometimes it's the little evils of stupidity and selfishness and attention-seeking that we also need to be aware of.

Edited by Libby

We can get swayed into thinking that evil is the Big Evil - but sometimes it's the little evils of stupidity and selfishness and attention-seeking that we also need to be aware of.

I couldn't agree more.

And, it's true that there's no point in re-hashing all the dregs of society in yet another "human-bashing" thread.

I just keep thinking of Frank's line...."So the true source of evil is US.... ?." Yes, I'm afraid so, Frank.

Guest SouthernCelt

There's a verse of a song by my favorite singer, Ian Tyson, that talks about what he wishes for others in their lives. It sort of sums up what's being talked about here:

May the children read, may they understand

What is of true value so the truth may be known:

The glory of God and the dark side of man

One day they must ride on alone.

Edited by SouthernCelt

My home area of Arkansas was a pretty big relocaton site, somewhere in the area of 20,000 people, ours and surrounding agencies have since made over a hundred arrests of people not even from Louisiana!!!!!!

One popular scam is to say they didnt know where to register in town, pull a truck up to the storage houses we have designated in town, load up, and promise to head right to the welcome center at our local sheriff's office, then.......poof!!!!! they are gone, no one hears from them again, it got so bad, they had to start outright denying anyone food, clothing, or emergency provisions unless they had proper id and a id card from the sherrif's office stating they were from the affected area and had been relocated legitimately to our city. how is that for pathetic....

My home area of Arkansas was a pretty big relocaton site, somewhere in the area of 20,000 people, ours and surrounding agencies have since made over a hundred arrests of people not even from Louisiana!!!!!!

One popular scam is to say they didnt know where to register in town, pull a truck up to the storage houses we have designated in town, load up, and promise to head right to the welcome center at our local sheriff's office, then.......poof!!!!! they are gone, no one hears from them again, it got so bad, they had to start outright denying anyone food, clothing, or emergency provisions unless they had proper id and a id card from the sherrif's office stating they were from the affected area and had been relocated legitimately to our city. how is that for pathetic....

It just keeps gettin better and better!!!!!!.... :rock2::notworthy::kickin:

4th Horseman...