The X-files 2 Movie News

Rate this topic

Guest Frank L.

Guest Frank L.

Just when I had a good feeling about XF2, this comes along...

(from Gillian Anderson's official website)

The Ausiello Report

TV Guide

February 3, 2006

The X-Files Being Reopened?

When it comes to the long-awaited second X-Files feature film, the truth is out there — and it ain't good. The latest setback? Franchise creator Chris Carter recently filed a lawsuit against 20th Century Fox over the show's profits.

"Everyone's deal is done — mine, David Duchovny's and Gillian Anderson's — but Chris' is not," says former X-Files producer Frank Spotnitz, who cooked up the sequel's story with Carter. "And I can't imagine that his deal will get completed until this legal dispute is resolved. My hope is that we can make this movie while people still care." (Carter declined to be interviewed for this story.)

The actress formerly known as Scully still cares, but her patience is wearing thin. "It's frustrating because we have no control," says the Emmy winner, who, with the exception of some film work, PBS' recent Bleak House adaptation and a five-minute rendezvous with me in her suite at the Ritz-Carlton in Pasadena, Calif., has maintained a relatively low profile since X-Files ended nearly four years ago. "It just seems like whoever is involved should do whatever it takes to make it happen."

And the sooner the better, considering Anderson has a project lined up that could further delay the X-flick. "I've been talking about having another child," says the 37-year-old and recently remarried mother of one, daughter Piper, 11. "And I don't want to be anywhere near the pregnancy when I'm [shooting] it."

If and when the film does get made, Spotnitz confirms that it'll be a self-contained story and not steeped in the show's dense mythology. "The first movie had to be about the mythology of the show," he explains. "But this doesn't have to be about the mythology of the show. It can just be a really good scary movie."

Why is it so hard to make a movie from a television series millions of people loved? WHY...???

Guest Frank L.

Yes, but two things could happen:

1) Chris Carter could win the lawsuit. Is FOX willing to make a movie with him after this?

2) FOX wins, and does CC wants to make a movie with them again?

Either way, it doesn't look good. Plus, if GA wants to have another baby, the project will be delayed for a long time. She's 37 now, I'm guessing she won't wait much longer... In the interview she said she doesn't want to be anywhere near the pregnancy when she's shooting the movie (which is very understandable).

I think it should happen very soon now. It's now or much later.

• Elders (Admins)

This is why there will never be a Millennium movie. If they drag their heels on a mass market project like that, Millennium being of critically acclaimed cult status will never make it. Such a shame...

This is why there will never be a Millennium movie. If they drag their heels on a mass market project like that, Millennium being of critically acclaimed cult status will never make it. Such a shame...

I agree... :cry:

There's just too much polictics and greedyness in the entertainment industry. (& people wonder why I've never really tried to go do much with my writing, or other ideas...*sigh*) :down:

I mean the first Star Trek movie had hurdles to go through before it was made and they had to make a deakl with leonard Nimoy to get him back. So if FOX wants to make XF2 bad enough, they will probably settle with Carter and get the movie made.

i was watching the making of the Princess Bride movie. This movie was suppose to have been made back in the 70's. It was a popular book. The powers that be, shelved it due to someone at the movie studio got fired. Sounds fimilar...wasnt until Rob "Meathead" Reiner wanted to take on this project and get it made. I am wondering will this happen to MM movie and/or X-Files 2. Would a top-notch movie director want to take on X-File/MM movie, and get it going. Someone that comes to mind for me which happens to beggining to have credibility is Moresco........love to see DAvid Fincher take on MM. Should we start to email/write letters to these guys to get movement?

Leave it to The Old Man and Ravenwolf to infuse a sense of realism in regards to the pipe dream that there will EVER be a MillenniuM movie/series/etc. Unfortunately, with the mess that is X-files 2, and with the realization that many lawsuits, especially when it involves such a high profile individual as Chris Carter, can be tied up in court for years. Its really a stretch to think that given the current situation with the X-files sequel, and the building animosity between Fox and Carter, that either would now branch off in a different direction concerning MillenniuM. The only bright side to this outcome would be that the idea of a MillenniuM movie/series/etc would still be Carter's baby, and he would have to look elsewhere for network support. It is a very dark time indeed....

Old Man, Libby, Ravenwolf, do either of you know, statistically, how well the entire MillenniuM series have been selling? S1, S2, S3, or all together? I am curious, as when i venture to Fry's or Best Buy, i always check on how much MillenniuM sits on the shelves. I usually only see one or two copies that have sold, so i would most likely say that the numbers probably are not there to induce a financial risk/investment on the part of Fox...if this is to go anywhere, my bets would lie with an independent production studio....

4th Horseman...

• Elders (Admins)

Sorry Mark, presently I've no idea about sales but I was planning to email a contact at Fox UK who has been really kind and helpful in the past to see if she can find out. I'll be sure to share anything she might be able to find out.

Graham