X-Cops...

Rate this topic

Guest ___ L@the_of_Heaven___

Okay, out of the ENTIRE X-Files series this is the ONLY episode where I watched about 5 minutes and then turned it off in disgust. Now, granted, I have absolutely NO use whatsoever for ANY reality based show; I categorically DON'T like them. But, I know that 'Cops' is a very successful show and a lot of people like it; so, please give me your opinions... In all fairness, is this X-Files episode worth watching? Does it have ANY true X-Files redeeming value at all...???

Just curious; as I was going through the X-Files discs I saw the title and remembered my initial reaction to it.

Thanks!

Guest SouthernCelt
Okay, out of the ENTIRE X-Files series this is the ONLY episode where I watched about 5 minutes and then turned it off in disgust. Now, granted, I have absolutely NO use whatsoever for ANY reality based show; I categorically DON'T like them. But, I know that 'Cops' is a very successful show and a lot of people like it; so, please give me your opinions... In all fairness, is this X-Files episode worth watching? Does it have ANY true X-Files redeeming value at all...???

Just curious; as I was going through the X-Files discs I saw the title and remembered my initial reaction to it.

Thanks!

I was amazed at how much like the 'Cops' series it was made to be. Although I have never been a fan of such reality shows (they're what you have playing for 'noise' when you have nothing else to watch and don't otherwise want to listen to radio, read, or visit TIWWA), I was familiar with the premise and the use of handheld cameras to get that as-it-happens footage. XF was done exactly the same and although you could tell the cops and citizens were actors, a lot of them did well acting outrageously, especially the two fueding middle-aged homosexuals.

I was amazed at how much like the 'Cops' series it was made to be. Although I have never been a fan of such reality shows (they're what you have playing for 'noise' when you have nothing else to watch and don't otherwise want to listen to radio, read, or visit TIWWA), I was familiar with the premise and the use of handheld cameras to get that as-it-happens footage. XF was done exactly the same and although you could tell the cops and citizens were actors, a lot of them did well acting outrageously, especially the two fueding middle-aged homosexuals.

Hmmm, I do honestly appreciate your comments SC but your seem to be slyly skirting the question... :nahah: Do you think it's worth watching...??? :oneeyedwinK

And, thank you Joe for your comments too! :yes:

It's not what I'd call an X Files classic, but it's a bit campy in a "OK, we've been doing this show so long that Mulder and Scully can get dropped into pretty much ANY situation, no matter how stupid, and make things make some sort of sense. Are there supernatural eliments? Yes. Is it done in the style of other X Files episodes? NO.

I found it amusing that, when David and Gillien were given the chance to do episodes they really wanted to do, he chose to merge with his favorite, "Cops", while she did something thought provoking like "All Things". One of my all time favorites!

It's not what I'd call an X Files classic, but it's a bit campy in a "OK, we've been doing this show so long that Mulder and Scully can get dropped into pretty much ANY situation, no matter how stupid, and make things make some sort of sense. Are there supernatural eliments? Yes. Is it done in the style of other X Files episodes? NO.

I found it amusing that, when David and Gillien were given the chance to do episodes they really wanted to do, he chose to merge with his favorite, "Cops", while she did something thought provoking like "All Things". One of my all time favorites!

Thanks Ms. Raven Wolf! That's pretty much what I figured. YES, I totally agree with you about Gillian's Directorial debut; I have another thread here talking about the exact show. I also felt that it was beautifully done. I get the impression that with your strong metaphysical slant I bet you REALLY loved her episode! :yes:

Guest SouthernCelt
Hmmm, I do honestly appreciate your comments SC but your seem to be slyly skirting the question... :nahah: Do you think it's worth watching...??? :oneeyedwinK

Ahhh, some people...YES, I thought it was worth watching. (Now I feel better about the nitpicking sarcasm I just added on one your posts. :gaba:

• Elders (Moderators)

I enjoyed X-Cops, but then I tend to enjoy the more comedic episodes of both XF and MM even if I can't regard them as classic or even standard, but because they must have been enjoyable for the main actors to do something different. I like the MM Jose Chung episode as a really funny episode, and surely Lance must have had great fun playing Rocket McGrain, but it wasn't a true MM episode for me.

X-Cops got nearer to being an XF episode for me. M&S were pretty much in character, and the story fitted the X-Files. Apparently both GA and DD enjoyed doing the episode because it was all filmed on video so the filming schedule was very much shorter than for an ordinary episode.

I'd recommend it, at least to see that Mulder was quite unabashed at the thought that his spouting of his crazy ideas would be seen on national television, and Scully really trying to avoid her face being shown. The actor who played the first cop we see was pretty good at being a professional playing an amateur, if you see what I mean, especially as the character had to look direct at the camera, which actors are supposed to avoid at all costs.

Ahhh, some people...YES, I thought it was worth watching. (Now I feel better about the nitpicking sarcasm I just added on one your posts. :gaba:

Now..., that wasn't SOOOOOOOOOO hard, was it...? :grin:

And yes... See my reply... :yes:

I enjoyed X-Cops, but then I tend to enjoy the more comedic episodes of both XF and MM even if I can't regard them as classic or even standard, but because they must have been enjoyable for the main actors to do something different. I like the MM Jose Chung episode as a really funny episode, and surely Lance must have had great fun playing Rocket McGrain, but it wasn't a true MM episode for me.

X-Cops got nearer to being an XF episode for me. M&S were pretty much in character, and the story fitted the X-Files. Apparently both GA and DD enjoyed doing the episode because it was all filmed on video so the filming schedule was very much shorter than for an ordinary episode.

I'd recommend it, at least to see that Mulder was quite unabashed at the thought that his spouting of his crazy ideas would be seen on national television, and Scully really trying to avoid her face being shown. The actor who played the first cop we see was pretty good at being a professional playing an amateur, if you see what I mean, especially as the character had to look direct at the camera, which actors are supposed to avoid at all costs.

Ah, LIBBY!!! Haven't heard a reply from you in a while, how nice! :bigsmile:

I appreciate your detail in explaining exactly why you liked the episode and how it compared to the way the actors usually came across. Very helpful! :yes: I think that now, thanks to ALL of your guys' comments, I will probably enjoy the episode much more when I get around to it.

Thanks!