"Why Are We Here?"

Rate this topic

Guest LauraKrycek

So....why ARE we here, Scott? :wink_big:

"Eat, sleep, defecate, procreate... that's all they do.  That's all WE do, but at least they don't try to make something more of it."

"Eat, sleep, defecate, procreate... that's all they do.  That's all WE do, but at least they don't try to make something more of it."

Isn't that a  quote from somewhere, Laura?   It sounds like I heard it before.

Be Seeing You,

David Blackwell

Guest LauraKrycek
It's from "The X-Files" episode "War of the Coprophages", as spoken by Dr. Bambi Berenbaum about ****roaches.  She likens ourselves to them, making a very good point that all creatures are the same -- people just have that annoying thought that there's something more than this that we're supposed to be doing.

It's from "The X-Files" episode "War of the Coprophages", as spoken by Dr. Bambi Berenbaum about ****roaches.  She likens ourselves to them, making a very good point that all creatures are the same -- people just have that annoying thought that there's something more than this that we're supposed to be doing.

Thanks, Laura.   I remember Bambi well because she was played by the attractive Bobbie Phillips who was in various sci-fi shows and dramas.   She was in the Chameleon movies, guest starred on 7 Days, and was a cast member of the show The Cape.   She was also seen in Muder One during season 1.    Have a better one.   Yep, humanity can be so stuck up at times.

Be Seeing You,

David Blackwell

"Eat, sleep, defecate, procreate... that's all they do.  That's all WE do, but at least they don't try to make something more out of it."

Yes, I remember that quote well, and it makes me want to ask...  How many ****roaches do you know who will lay down their lives to help another?  How many ****roaches do you know who can write classical music, or paint a masterpeace?  I'm not saying that we are BETTER than the animals, or "more worthy", but I DO see that, in the Devine plan, there is a place for the ****roaches, and for the Firefighters, and the Classical Pianists, the doctors and Teachers and even the plumbers!  There IS something more to it, and just because we can't understand it doesn't make it not real.  ****roaches may not understand how a computer works, but that doesn't mean that they don't exist.

I appologize if my opinion offendes anyone... It is simply my opinion.

Guest LauraKrycek

How many ****roaches do you know who will lay down their lives to help another?  How many ****roaches do you know who can write classical music, or paint a masterpeace?

How many people have you heard of who murder and rape other people?  How many people have you heard of who seem to live to destroy the work and souls of other people?  For every up, there is a down, my dear.

I'm not saying that we are BETTER than the animals, or "more worthy"

Good -- despite my omnivorous tendencies, I still feel that every animal deserves to live just as much as a human -- even if they are mighty tasty.  That's why I try to treat my pets just as I might a member of the family, and am so against animal cruelty; just because they can't speak up doesn't mean they deserve to be treated like garbage.

but I DO see that, in the Devine plan, there is a place for the ****roaches, and for the Firefighters, and the Classical Pianists, the doctors and Teachers and even the plumbers!

Hey, there better be!  My dad was a plumber for a very long time!  As was said in my French lesson this evening, "Il n'y a pas de sot metier", meaning basically that there is honor in every job -- every job has a purpose.  You sure wouldn't be happy if there weren't plumbers, that's for sure.

There IS something more to it, and just because we can't understand it doesn't make it not real.  ****roaches may not understand how a computer works, but that doesn't mean that they don't exist.

I know as well as you do.  We certainly weren't just put here to terrorize each other and the planet.  ****roaches, on the other hand, just might have been.  And just because you've never seen a ****roach operate a computer doesn't mean it can't be done.   :tongue:

I posted that quote not to start some controversy or because it's my personal viewpoint about the whole of human existence -- but really, when you look at a lot of the things we do, from an outside standpoint, we're silly, silly creatures.  Look at me!  I'm hitting buttons on a black plastic box and reading little symbols, and totally enthralled by them.  You know, I've sometimes wondered if animals aren't the real rulers, and we're just here to serve them.  I think dogs are the masters of the universe.  They know all the secrets, and use them to make us serve them.

Laura,

That last part about the dogs had me..... :rofl:

Oddly enough, if you read other things I've posted, we seem to have simalar views about the 85%, as I like to call it!  I must have misunderstood your little joke. :sorry-big: It's been a bad week in general.

• 3 weeks later...