X-Files 2 Negotiations Wrap This Week, Says Duchovny

Rate this topic

X-Files 2 Negotiations Wrap This Week Says Duchovny

source: IESB.net

Written by Robert Sanchez

Tuesday, 27 March 2007

The idea for a second X-Files film has been in the works for a long time. The IESB attended the TV Set press day today and spoke with David Duchovny about just that!

Back in 2005 Duchovny told IGN, "According to USA Today, Duchovny told reporters at the recent 10th Annual Critics' Choice Awards that he expected to shoot X-Files 2 some time this year or in early 2006. Elaborating on the project, the actor said it would not involve the alien conspiracy storyline that helped make the television series so popular. Instead, he stated, it would be a standalone supernatural horror film."

Well we know it obviously didn't happen, but things never happen quickly in Hollywood.

Duchovny spoke about it briefly to the IESB today while promoting TV Set.

Duchovny says X-Files fans will have their second film after all! He revealed to the IESB that they were in final negotiations for the second X-Files film and should wrap this week. Plans are to start shooting in '08 or sooner!

If negotiations get nailed down this week as planned, it looks like he will once again fill the shoes of our favorite Special Agent, Fox Mulder.

IESB will keep you updated!

FROM https://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=19588

After a five year break from appearing regularly on a TV series, David Duchovny is returning to the small screen. He briefly talked to ComingSoon.net about his new TV show at the press day for his latest film The TV Set and what being back on a weekly show means for the rumored upcoming "X-Files" movie.

His new project will be on Showtime, and as of now, it's known as the "Untitled David Duchovny Series." They will start shooting in late May or early June, but the pilot is already finished.

"It's pretty fascinating. I don't really know what the show is about. I love the character. I love the pilot. The pilot is fantastic. It doesn't have a hook. He's not a doctor, he's not a lawyer, he's not a FBI agent, he's not a cop, he's not a fireman, he's not a mob guy. He's a writer who doesn't write. So I kind of love that I don't know where it's going," Duchovny laughed.

But don't think that just because he's returning to TV means he's giving up on movies. He's still very much interested in film and in fact, Duchovny is excited at the possibility of reprising his role of Agent Mulder in another "X-Files" flick. "It would be fun," he said. "Actually I think they are talking about an 'X-Files' movie this week. I'm not just saying that because it's serendipitous. I know Chris Carter and Frank Spotnitz are in there this week with Fox talking about it."

He's not the only one who is anxious to come back on board, as he told us that Gillian Anderson would also love the opportunity to play Agent Scully again. "Yeah, she'll do it. We'll all do it. We're all gung ho and we're just waiting. I guess there are things to figure out, and I guess people are talking about a strike. They're trying to get it done before things like this."

While it sounds like the details are being ironed out, one thing is for certain. Since his show is on a cable network, Duchovny doesn't have the challenging schedule he once did, therefore making it unproblematic for him to do another "X-Files" movie.

"Yeah, see one of the great things about going back to television is I go back to cable television, I will have an 11-week shooting schedule. That's it. You know 'X-Files' was easily 43 or 44. It didn't really give me a chance to really do anything for that eight or nine years even though I tried to stuff some things in. It's really kind of a great job in terms of my schedule."

And while he admitted there is already a plot for the second "X-Files" film, he said he has no idea what it is. "There is a story… but I don't know it."

Guest Laurent.

:rock2::rock2:

Best news I've heard for quite a while!

I don't want to get too excited (like I've been for so many times in the past), but the fact that it's coming from two sources in two different interviews about two different subject... it's hard not to get my hopes up!

That's wonderful! Most hopefull news I've heard about a movie so far!!!

Hey.... how cool would it be if they got Lance in on this? (nnnnnnnnnnnooooooooo, no zombies.... just something cool and a bit supernatural)

Guest betweenthelines

EW.com also has an article on the (possible) sequel:

Nothing about The X-Files is ever straightforward, but it seems quite possible that the long-awaited sequel to the X-Files movie could get back in production some time soon.

The story dates back to last June, five years after the Fox show went off the air and nine years since the release of the first X-Files movie, when series exec producer Frank Spotnitz told EW that most of the plot to a big-screen sequel had been ''worked out.'' Then, in September, David Duchovny reportedly confirmed that he, Gillian Anderson, and creator Chris Carter were all willing to do a second movie but that some legal issues — relating to Carter's lawsuit against 20th Century Fox over syndication profits — had to be resolved first.

Although Carter did not return calls for comment, according to a recent report, the legal dustup might soon be over. If true, Anderson's manager Connie Freiberg tells EW, ''there's no obstacles other than the delivery of a great script.'' We'll keep you posted as all this sorts out, but have faith that the truth (and a second movie) is out there.

I want to believe...

Guest Frank L.

Great news. There hasn't been any (positive) news lately, so this is a pleasant surprise. Shooting in 2008 sounds about right if the negotiations wrap this week. From what I've heard the script hasn't been written yet, but the story is ready. So the script has to be written and pre-production can start. I hope we'll get more (positive) news from here on. Director, additional actors, storyline... I can't wait!

PS. Perhaps I don't have to change my signature after all!

Edited by Frank L.

Guest ZeusFaber

Don't get your hopes up, people.

David Duchovny is just hitting the promo circuit to hype his new show. He said the same things years back when he had new movies coming out. Nothing new here.

Guest Laurent.
David Duchovny is just hitting the promo circuit to hype his new show. He said the same things years back when he had new movies coming out. Nothing new here.

Of course he's doing this to hype his new show, but that doesn't mean there's nothing happening. When he first said that the negotiations were almost done (back in 2005 I think) he really meant it. Frank Spotnitz confirmed that his deal was done as were some others. The only major problem was with Chris Carter. I truly believe that if Carter is indeed talking with Fox executives this week, this problem may soon have a solution.

So I wouldn't say that there is nothing new, discussions and negotiations is a huge step forward especially since the lawsuit between CC and Fox is not even settled (as far as I know), it's a great demonstration of the desire to make this movie happen.

Guest ZeusFaber

They've had discussions and negotiations for years though. I don't want to be a naysayer, I just don't want to be an advocate of false hope. This has all come around before and people just get dissapointed.

Besides, the week is out and no further news.