X-Files 2 Negotiations Wrap This Week, Says Duchovny

Rate this topic

Guest Frank L.
Yes, continuity should be observed, which can be done without dictating the story. Remember, neither Mulder nor Scully were assigned to The X-Files unit for the first movie.

That's right. There are plenty of ways to show Mulder and Scully after the finale, where they are now. I only hope they'll make some wise decisions. Put Duchovny in a suit and he is Mulder again. Not sure about Gillian Anderson though. She looks a little bit different, could be because of her longer hair...

As for the decision to make a 'stand-alone' movie... Fight The Future wasn't a succes. It wasn't a complete failure either, but they could've done much better. I'm talking money here. I LOVED the movie. Still one of my favorites.

Finally, I hope they bring something new to the horror genre. Make it dark and genuinly scary. No cliche PG-13 teen stuff.

Edited by Frank L.

I also agree with Gillian Anderson's comments, and I don't think they're to be taken as a dig at the fans. The point is that you don't just make movies to satistfy what the fans want (or what they think they want). Die-hard fans make up a very small percentage of the audience. A movie should be made for the sake of making a good movie, not for placating a very small proportion of a potential audience.

I totally agree! Exactly my thoughts! :)

And I have absolutely nothing against the idea of a stand-alone movie, too.

Guest Moriarty
Yes, continuity should be observed, which can be done without dictating the story. Remember, neither Mulder nor Scully were assigned to The X-Files unit for the first movie.

I know but they were still agents from the bureau. At the end of season 9 they were not so I just wonder how Carter and Spotnitz will deal with that. At the end of the last season they were kind of renegade agents. I mean, they were not welcome at the FBI because there were supersoldiers everywhere and especially Mulder was a threat to them. Don't know how the writers will deal with this but I fear that making a standalone will create continuity problems. Unless they can come up with a good script. They have done it before.

Guest Moriarty
Finally, I hope they bring something new to the horror genre. Make it dark and genuinly scary. No cliche PG-13 teen stuff.

I know what you mean but this is just whishfull thinking regarding to me. X-files is no horror at all. And it never will be. Horror stopped with "The Exorcist".

Guest ZeusFaber
I know but they were still agents from the bureau. At the end of season 9 they were not

True enough, but for the majority of the first movie they were acting without FBI authorization. Imagine if Mulder and Scully had both been fired and made renegades after the bomb blast in Dallas -- almost all of the plot of the rest of the movie could still have been played out just the same.

I don't think it's a major problem. I agree that it would be nice to observe some of that continuity, with them staying "off the grid" as it were, but I don't think that will curtain the story possibilities of a standalone tale in any way.

X-files is no horror at all. And it never will be. Horror stopped with "The Exorcist"

It just depends on what you think of with the word "horror". It might be best to avoid thinking of great horror movies in the terms you consider "The Exorcist". Instead, imagine such past episodes as "Squeeze", "The Host", "Grotesque" or "Roadrunners". I think that's what they basically mean.

Guest Laurent.

I don't think it would be that hard to tie a stand-alone movie with the end of the series. They just have to make Mulder and Scully run into an X-Files in a small village or something. Maybe with a sentence or two in a conversation with someone else to explain that they used to be FBI agents and that they're now on the run... and BANG! You got a classic X-Files episode with so much atmosphere that it'll scare you enough so that you forget all the new, gory and stupid horror movies.

Oh and I think the movie will definitely happen... Carter & Spotnitz would surely love to, Duchovny could take a little career boost, Gillian Anderson seems ready to do it and FOX would at least make a few bucks (even the first one made money and I think XF2 could do better than FTF).

The skeptic can say whatever they want but I want to believe :alien: .

Guest ZeusFaber

We can say for definite that Chris Carter, Frank Spotnitz, David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson are all interested in doing it.

What we can't say for definite is that 20th Century Fox are interested in doing it. That's the only thing that needs to change.

Guest Laurent.

I don't see why 20th Century Fox wouldn't be interested in the movie since their only concern is profit. Is it possible that a franchise like X-Files would make them lose money? Look at all the big budget films every studio are doing right now, I'm not sure 1013 would aim at an epic horror movie. X-Files has always been into a more sober style of horror; more atmospheric and psychological horror (especially comparing to the Reaping which is coming out this week - this is one movie that is not going to get my 8$).

Guest ZeusFaber

It might seem that way to us, but there are an awful lot of factors and complex calculations that go into the deliberation process of a major motion picture studio. Unfortunately, making a profit is not a guarentee with any project, least of all The X-Files right now. They want to make huge profits, not just a bit of profit, so they have to calculate where best to spend all the time and money of production to get the best return.

For every one movie that gets produced, there are hundreds that don't. The studio has to decide which one out of those hundreds will generate them the most profit. Unfortunately for us, they make that decision in dispassionate, cold-hearted business terms. We just have to wait and see.

For years now I have chosen not to specualte on the outcome one way or the other, because it wont do me any good. It wont affect the outcome. I'll just sit back and wait and see what happens, and not get myself worked up with hopes and dreams in the mean time.

Guest Laurent.

Since I'm not sure what are the best sources of information on this, I'll just ask here:

Are there any news about XF2 coming from more serious sources? Or that's not from Duchovny's mouth (a Carter, Spotnitz or FOX declaration would be a lot more trustworthy)?

The thing is it's been a lot more than a week since the first of these news came out and I think that if negotiations were truly over we would have heard an official announcement.