X-Files 2 Negotiations Wrap This Week, Says Duchovny

Rate this topic

Guest Laurent.
Besides, the week is out and no further news.

Good point...

now I don't want to sound blinded by my hopes buuuut...

Duchovny never literally said that the discussions would wrap up this week; only that they were negotiating.

Honestly though, it looks as though you're right; it was yet another "call for attention" from Duchovny.

Guest Laurent.

Yeah I should have known better... I just thought that "not everybody is plotting to deceive, inveigle, and obfuscate". Now if Mulder himself is entering this dirty business... God, where is the world going?

Hi! Chris Carter suit is over. Some XF2 news again:

X-FILES 2 NEWS | DAVID DUCHOVNY has confirmed a sequel to the X-FILES movie is in the works - with himself and GILLIAN ANDERSON reprising the characters that made them famous. The actor, who played AGENT FOX MULDER in both the cult TV series and 1998 movie, reveals X-Files creator CHRIS CARTER and writer FRANK SPOTNITZ are busy working on a script for the new film. The news comes after weeks of speculation surrounding Anderson's involvement in the project. Duchovny says, "This week, they're starting some kind of road towards doing it (the film). Gillian and I both want to be in it now. We're happy to do it. "At this point all of the kind of fatigue and anxiety that we had towards the end of a nine-year run is gone." He jokes, "We've forgotten why we hate one another and can only remember why we love one another and we're very happy to go back. "Chris and Frank are going over the story. It's a story they've had for a few years but we haven't all settled on the fact that we wanted to do it, so now they're hammering it out." Source

GILLIAN ANDERSON REVEALS ALL | It’s been talked about for nearly ten years, but now, thanks to an out-of-court settlement, it might actually happen. David Duchovny, aka Agent Fox Mulder from the smash ‘90s sci-fi show The X-Files, recently spilled that show creator Chris Carter is finally in talks with 20th Century Fox about a second X-Files movie, having settled with them in a lawsuit over syndication profits. So when Empire got the chance to sit down with Gillian Anderson, aka Agent Dana Scully, to discuss her new film, Straightheads, we couldn’t resist bringing up her mooted return to the shadowy basement beneath FBI headquarters.

“They’re starting to talk about doing a feature again,” she confirms. “Every year or two they talk about it again, but it seems like it might be for real this time. Somehow it seems like somebody’s really serious about it. I know that Chris’ lawsuit with Fox is over, so maybe now it can be done.”

There’s no getting plot details out of her (“I keep in email contact with Chris but he won’t talk about it. At all”), but Anderson was able to say that it’s unlikely we’ll see the return of the little grey aliens at the heart of the series’ long-running conspiracy thread. “All Chris says is that he wants to make a really scary horror, like a stand-alone episode. I don’t think they’re interested in touching on any of the conspiracy stuff.”

The show disappointed many of its followers by petering out without wrapping up the story to their satisfaction. But Anderson says that the movie sequel’s function isn’t to appease the hardcore fans. “I actually don’t have enough of a perspective to say whether questions were answered or whether it was wrapped up enough in the end, and honestly there’s part of me that doesn’t care. I can be sympathetic to die-hard fans who might feel left in short shrift, but that’s where my sympathies lie!” Source

https://universe1013.narod.ru/english.htm

It looks quite positive. ;)

• Elders (Admins)

I hope this works out. I was sad to read Gillian Anderson's comments about her not caring (for the fans) if the series' conspiracy plotline could be brought to some form of closure. Always grates with me when celebrities whose careers and lives have been made by a series feel the need to kick it in the teeth. Ggrr!

So what do you think about the non-alien prospect? Do you think this is a mistake to base the film on a horror story type plotline or do you think maybe a third film could be set nearer 2012 with the agents trying to prevent the planned re-colonisation of Earth?

Guest Moriarty
So what do you think about the non-alien prospect? Do you think this is a mistake to base the film on a horror story type plotline or do you think maybe a third film could be set nearer 2012 with the agents trying to prevent the planned re-colonisation of Earth?

The non-alien prospect is fine according to me. Let the mythology rest. I mean, they nearly ruined it in the last two seasons so why take the risk to ruin it completely? /Runs before he gets Zeus on his back :signlol:

Guest ZeusFaber

Okay, ignoring the fact that I disagree that the latter two season ruined anything, I still think it's the right decision not to do a mythology-based movie. There's so many reasons why it wouldn't be a good idea from a business point of view.

I also agree with Gillian Anderson's comments, and I don't think they're to be taken as a dig at the fans. The point is that you don't just make movies to satistfy what the fans want (or what they think they want). Die-hard fans make up a very small percentage of the audience. A movie should be made for the sake of making a good movie, not for placating a very small proportion of a potential audience.

A dense mythological conspiracy movie that ties on all the existing threads from the series might make for a very giddy bunch of fans, but the rest of the world would be left cold, and it would probably end up more about name-dropping old characters and story arc rather than a good movie. Conversely, a standalone horror movie would be more likely to connect with a wide audience and be a better story in its own right.

Nevertheless, I'm still not going to get any hopes built up around this latest batch of rumours, which are no different to the same rumours that have been doing the rounds every couple of years.

Guest Moriarty
Okay, ignoring the fact that I disagree that the latter two season ruined anything, I still think it's the right decision not to do a mythology-based movie. There's so many reasons why it wouldn't be a good idea from a business point of view.

I also agree with Gillian Anderson's comments, and I don't think they're to be taken as a dig at the fans. The point is that you don't just make movies to satistfy what the fans want (or what they think they want). Die-hard fans make up a very small percentage of the audience. A movie should be made for the sake of making a good movie, not for placating a very small proportion of a potential audience.

A dense mythological conspiracy movie that ties on all the existing threads from the series might make for a very giddy bunch of fans, but the rest of the world would be left cold, and it would probably end up more about name-dropping old characters and story arc rather than a good movie. Conversely, a standalone horror movie would be more likely to connect with a wide audience and be a better story in its own right.

Nevertheless, I'm still not going to get any hopes built up around this latest batch of rumours, which are no different to the same rumours that have been doing the rounds every couple of years.

I agree. I just hope it finally happens this time. If it does, I wonder if Carter and Spotnitz will not ignore the fact that M and S were no longer with the bureau at the end of season 9. That would be lame regarding to me. There has to be continuity with the series. Oh well, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Guest ZeusFaber

Yes, continuity should be observed, which can be done without dictating the story. Remember, neither Mulder nor Scully were assigned to The X-Files unit for the first movie.