X-Files 2 Negotiations Wrap This Week, Says Duchovny

Rate this topic

Guest ZeusFaber
But I did a little research and found out that the most significant loss in ratings was still season 9.

Comparatively speaking, the ratings loss between Seasons 5 and 6 was about the same as the loss between Seasons 8 and 9. Conversely, the ratings loss between Seasons 7 and 8 was actually very very small.

ratings of season 9 can only be explained by a lost of the audience interest or of the quality of the show

That's far too simplistic. There are a myriad of other factors, such as new competition on rival networks for the same time slot, massive world political upheaval, as well as new expansions in cable programming and new media offering new alternatives to a growing market.

Saying that low ratings equal poor quality is a fundamental misconception.

• Elders (Moderators)

Thanks to the Haven, here's the URL to a DD fan's site (she has loads of DD related stuff, as is obvious from the URL):

https://duchovny.net/multimedia/index67.htm

It's a zipped MPEG file, 83.9Mb, which I started to download but gave up as it was coming in so slow. Someone else with a faster connection might like to download it and then tell us if DD says anything about the movie.

• Elders (Admins)

They're crawling along for me too but they did peak at 2Mbps at one point!

I've cancelled the downloads as they were going to take over 4hrs to download. Do they mention anything on Haven?

Guest Moriarty

I've cancelled the downloads as they were going to take over 4hrs to download. Do they mention anything on Haven?

Well, just downloaded the file but I cannot open it. It says that the file is corrupt. Too bad.

• Elders (Moderators)

Well, at least I know it's not my crappy connection!

Reports from Haven:

Letterman: no mention of XF2, but chat about DD's children, especially that he lets them watch American Idol and they already have opinions.

Opie & Anthony radio show: XF2 is "in the works". DD regards "Home" as a love story.

Regis & Kelly: XF2 in the works and seems to be moving forward.

DD is doing the rounds promoting "The TV Set".

Guest SouthernCelt
Opie & Anthony radio show: XF2 is "in the works". DD regards "Home" as a love story.

Are we talking about the XF ep "Home" here? :eyes:

• Elders (Moderators)

Presumably it's the XF episode - I can't think of any other episode or any movie with that name. I think David was being his usual jokey self.

Edited to add: Someone at the Haven said she thought she heard David say (in reference to XF2) "something about that's all they told him he's allowed to say". Could just be wishful thinking on her part, but it adds a bit to the speculation.

Guest Laurent.
There are a myriad of other factors, such as new competition on rival networks for the same time slot, massive world political upheaval, as well as new expansions in cable programming and new media offering new alternatives to a growing market.

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough but that's basically what I meant by people losing interest in the show. After a few years of watching the same show, anything can possibly cause you to let it go and forget about it. If it's something like this (new competition, politics and/or anything you can imagine) the time passed since the end of the series could be a good thing. But if people turned their back on the show because it was bad, then The X-Files may have a hard time gathering their old fans.In comparison, I won't go see the future Star Trek movies because I don't like what happened to the franchise. Same thing with Jurassic Park, the first sequel was so bad that I didn't bother with the third movie and I will do the same with the fourth.

But I don't think that's the case with TXF since it's going to be a movie (something new as compared to "just" another episode) and will probably be advertise as the revival of one of the 90's biggest pop-culture phenomena. So I'd say that curiosity (or nostalgia) alone might bring people in the theaters.

As you pointed out, I know I'm basically scratching the simplistic surface of a huge marketing problem; Fox executives must be analyzing it from all different angles by now. Let's just hope that their wallets point out in the same direction as the heart of all X-Philes out there.

As far as news and rumors go, I'm glad people are talking about it again but I'm still waiting for something better than a David Duchovny quote to go get some champagne.

Guest ZeusFaber

Executives calculating the viability of a new movie wont be using Nielsen ratings from the old TV show. The two don't compute. A new movie is a different entity, a different ballgame.

Besides, I disagree with the notion of "people turning their back on the show because it was bad". That certainly isn't the case with me. I for one think the show ended on a good note, a much better note than it would have been had it ended in S7 (which is IMO one of the weakest seasons of the show).

The fact remains, a greater proportion of the audience stayed with the show right to the end than left it behind.

I do agree with you that this is all just academic at this point though. There is nothing concrete to suggest a deal is any closer to being struck today that it was the last time DD had a new project to promote. I'm content to sit back and wait and see.