X-Files 2 Negotiations Wrap This Week, Says Duchovny

Rate this topic

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

IT'S TRUE

Several people have e-mailed to ask about reports that the second "X-Files" feature is finally in the works. A script is indeed in development, but I'm afraid that's all I can say. Thanks for your good wishes and support all these years.

posted by Frank Spotnitz at 11:34 AM

https://www.biglight.com/blog/

------------------

From www.gilliananderson.ws (Gillian Anderson official website):

They're still out there

Posted at 10:14 AM (PDT) on Monday, April 16, 2007

Mulder, Scully to return in new 'X-Files' film

April 16, 2007

By Cindy Pearlman

Chicago Sun-Times

X will mark the spot at the box office again. David Duchovny just told GLARE that a new "X Files" film is "definitely in the works."

"Mulder and Scully will be up on the big screen one more time, and I'm looking forward to it," he says. "I really miss the people behind 'The X Files.' This film will be a reunion, and I think we'll make a great movie because Mulder and Scully are just great characters."

As for the plot, Duchovny says, "It's five years later. It will be a stand-alone movie. You have to assume a lot of people don't know the show, so you need a plot that doesn't require that you've seen the TV series."

The first "X Files" movie debuted in 1998. Is it too long a wait for another film?

"I think there were two schools of thought: Do another one right away or wait and have the fans really want one. I like the idea of people saying, 'Hey, where is Mulder after all of these years? Is he following Jimmy Buffett? Did he become a Parrothead?' " jokes the actor.

Duchovny says it will "probably be easy to step back into Mulder's suit. ... It's like 'The Incredibles.' The suit is hanging in my closet, waiting. I'm just hoping to fit into the suit. I don't want to hear, 'Oh, man. Mulder has to cut back on the carbs.' "

Forget any old stories about angst with his co-star, played by Gillian Anderson, who plays Scully. "We love each other now," he says. "Absence makes the heart grow fonder. We actually had lunch last week, and it was really nice to be back together."

The film is expected to debut next summer. Duchovny says the script is "shrouded in secrecy. It's even a secret from me at the moment. I'd blab if I could."

Guest Laurent.

WOW! That's the kind of news I was waiting for! Thank you Blackoil (nice avatar by the way)!

:rock2:

Do you guys think X-Files 2 late escape from development hell is now official? I think a Frank Spotnitz announcement is the next best thing after an official press release (and it may be too early for that).

Edited by Laurent.

Guest Frank L.

Yes, the legal issues have been resolved, at least that's what I've read.

Carter and Spotnitz had worked out a story a long time ago, so the writing

of the script shouldn't take very long. Pre-production has probably started

by now. We can only hope production will start later this year (after the summer).

Thank you Blackoil (nice avatar by the way)!

Thanks! I adore Harsh Realm so I just couldn't resist to put Hobbes on my avatar, LOL. :)

Do you guys think X-Files 2 late escape from development hell is now official? I think a Frank Spotnitz announcement is the next best thing after an official press release (and it may be too early for that).

Frank Spotnitz announcement is a great thing, of course, bit I think we really have to wait an official announcement from Chris Carter or FOX. Now it looks like they have only a script deal or something like that.

BTW, another good XF2 news from Mr. Duchovny, it's from his interview with The Washington Post:

What's more, the much-speculated-on second theatrical sequel, he says, is in the works.

Um, but hasn't he been saying that for four or five years now? Okay, he'll admit to a little uncertainty. "I've said that before, and I've been mistaken, so . . . yeah, I mean, every time I'm asked, I'm always like, ' Uhhhh, it's in the works.' But it's more real now." So we can definitely write this down? "Yes," he says with a laugh. "No longer use invisible ink. We'll go to pencil."

I found it here https://community.idealistshaven.com/forums...ead.php?t=13549 ;)

Guest ZeusFaber

Not that I want to be the party-pooper, but everyone would be well advised to remember that Frank Spotnitz's blog update was not an announcement, and that pre-production has certainly not started yet.

As usual, I advise patience and not to get too carried away. We're a long distance from any kind of certainty yet.

Guest Laurent.

The party-pooper has spoken words of wisdom.

But are we really a long distance away from certainty? Maybe, but that's by far the closest we've ever been. We actually know that the movie is in development so it's moving forward and that's all I needed to know for now.

Guest ZeusFaber

I wouldn't say it's the closest we've ever been. Everything we're hearing now we have heard before at some point or another. It's not anyone's fault, sometimes these things just don't come to fruition.

It's better than hearing nothing but silence, but all we know right now is that all the major players want to be involved and that there is a story in mind, which is what we've known for years. It might never get any further than that, then again it might. No sense worrying either way, if you ask me. I'm content to just wait and see.