X-Files help

Rate this topic

Yes, certainly for season 1 Se7en was a great influence. Then again, mainly for the pilot that is. Everything was done in great secret and when the executives of Fox asked what the series was going to be they got the answer: "It's like Se7en in Seattle".

Anyway, "Antipas' was in the 3rd season and I am sure that this episode was an hommage to "The Omen". Just like "Ice" was to "The Thing".

And yes, Se7ven is also one of my favorite movies of all time. I think I saw it at least 15 times and every time it gives me chills.

you guys have been so very helpful..need you once again...i remember years ago watching an x-files episode that took place during a circus/carnival where there was something that got inside the performers? I distinctly remember the ending where a person drove away from Mulder in a car but only after Mulder saw his face distort, morph, whatever....does anyone remember this epi and what is its name...or was i dreaming...i have completed the first disc of S1, but for the first time 4th here feels like a newbie...there are so many of you who know so much about X-files that i feel out of place somewhat....asking about this episode or that episode...God, i feel like a kid in a candy store...i am a bit surprised by all of the adulation for "Squeeze" though...i know that there had to be that "first" episode, a trailblazer that tried to show the diversity of what the show was going to be about...Let me re-watch it again, perhaps i am missing something??? Zeus, any suggestions what to look for??? Perhaps it shares the same fate as "The Pest House" episode of MillenniuM which i found to be excellent, all the while many here did not like it...

p.s. -shout out to Laran....i see that you have about 120 posts here. I would still classify you as a newbie, but i wanted to say thanks for bringing very articulate, intelligent posts to this subject...glad to have you here, (know its late), and i look forward to your thoughts on other issues here as well...

4th Horseman..

Guest ZeusFaber
you guys have been so very helpful..need you once again...i remember years ago watching an x-files episode that took place during a circus/carnival where there was something that got inside the performers? I distinctly remember the ending where a person drove away from Mulder in a car but only after Mulder saw his face distort, morph, whatever....does anyone remember this epi and what is its name...

It is indeed "Humbug" from Season 2.

i am a bit surprised by all of the adulation for "Squeeze" though...i know that there had to be that "first" episode, a trailblazer that tried to show the diversity of what the show was going to be about...Let me re-watch it again, perhaps i am missing something??? Zeus, any suggestions what to look for???

I think th popularity of "Squeeze" largely rests on novelty value. It was the first monster episode, so stands out in everyone's minds. The graphic nature of the crimes, the idea of a villain who can penetrate into the locked and secure home, the bizarre nature of the elongated fingers... these create memorable images. I do think the series has achieved better episodes since though, and Morgan & Wong themselves admit to being a little dissatisfied with the finished product.

I did come to this topic a little late though. Are you embarking on the series for pretty much the first time, 4th? I'll just add that Seasons 3 and 5 are my personal favourites.

The first one you are describing is Humbug. The second sound familiar to me but i cant seem to remember

4th only described one episode, as far as I can see.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Regardless of individual opinions of Morgan & Wong (like MiB says, dangerous ground), I think it's important to point out that the series still would have incorporated different story types and approaches without them. It's not as if they came up with "Squeeze" all by themselves and transformed the show into what otherwise would have been a UFO/conspiracy every week. That never would have been the case, regardless of who wrote the first "monster-of-the-week".

As Chris Carter himself explains:

"We wanted to get right out of the box after 'Deep Throat' and do something that wasn't an alien story. It was a story that expanded the realm of what an X-File could be. As far as the germ of the idea, I had eaten some foie gras in France and I thought, 'Wouldn't it be intriguing if some human was interested in eating the livers of other humans?' That was the kernel of the idea, and [Morgan & Wong] turned it into a terrific, dramatic, and very scary episode."

Yes, I agree, the X-files was never intended as a UFO/Alien show only, and many writers contributed stories about other phenomenon. Personally, I think few did it was well as M & W though. :oneeyedwinK

It is indeed "Humbug" from Season 2.

I think th popularity of "Squeeze" largely rests on novelty value. It was the first monster episode, so stands out in everyone's minds. The graphic nature of the crimes, the idea of a villain who can penetrate into the locked and secure home, the bizarre nature of the elongated fingers... these create memorable images. I do think the series has achieved better episodes since though, and Morgan & Wong themselves admit to being a little dissatisfied with the finished product.

I did come to this topic a little late though. Are you embarking on the series for pretty much the first time, 4th? I'll just add that Seasons 3 and 5 are my personal favourites.

4th only described one episode, as far as I can see.

ZF...yes, i have finally gotten round to giving serious consideration for the X-Files...i decided, thru the generousness of those involved in this thread to begin as they say, at the beginning.....thanks for you input, i shall pay particular attention to S3/S5 since the two of us think a lot alike...

4th Horseman..

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
you guys have been so very helpful..need you once again...i remember years ago watching an x-files episode that took place during a circus/carnival where there was something that got inside the performers? I distinctly remember the ending where a person drove away from Mulder in a car but only after Mulder saw his face distort, morph, whatever....does anyone remember this epi and what is its name...or was i dreaming...i have completed the first disc of S1, but for the first time 4th here feels like a newbie...there are so many of you who know so much about X-files that i feel out of place somewhat....asking about this episode or that episode...God, i feel like a kid in a candy store...i am a bit surprised by all of the adulation for "Squeeze" though...i know that there had to be that "first" episode, a trailblazer that tried to show the diversity of what the show was going to be about...Let me re-watch it again, perhaps i am missing something??? Zeus, any suggestions what to look for??? Perhaps it shares the same fate as "The Pest House" episode of MillenniuM which i found to be excellent, all the while many here did not like it...

p.s. -shout out to Laran....i see that you have about 120 posts here. I would still classify you as a newbie, but i wanted to say thanks for bringing very articulate, intelligent posts to this subject...glad to have you here, (know its late), and i look forward to your thoughts on other issues here as well...

4th Horseman..

I guess it all just boils down to what is pleasing to one's own personal complex neurobiology. For example, I loved Squeeze, while you seem to be disappointed by it. On the other hand, you found Pest House to be excellent, and I wholeheartedly agree, while the common consensus here seems to be that it wasn't that great. I find that many times I can't even pinpoint why I like a certain episode and don't like some others. The brain is a complicated animal.

Guest Laurent.

In a diverse show like The X-Files or Millennium it's normal to have a preference toward a different kind of episode. Some may like the down to earth side of Millennium more than the apocalyptic overtone and the same thing can be said about The X-Files which I think is a lot more varied than Millennium (mainly because it has three times more episodes). It's always interesting to see people "hate" an episode while others are gonna love it. I always say that real art can't touch and please everyone.

We have a proverb in French (at least in Québec) that says: All the tastes are in nature. So there's no such thing as good or bad taste and everyone's opinion matters. So, 4th Horseman, to summarize the answer to the first goal of this topic; I say you should watch all the seasons of the X-Files! There's always something great and different in each one and even at its very worst, X-Files is better than most shows.

P.S. To 4th Horseman; Thanks a lot for the thanks! Hehe, I'm glad you appreciate my thoughts in the discussions.

In a diverse show like The X-Files or Millennium it's normal to have a preference toward a different kind of episode. Some may like the down to earth side of Millennium more than the apocalyptic overtone and the same thing can be said about The X-Files which I think is a lot more varied than Millennium (mainly because it has three times more episodes). It's always interesting to see people "hate" an episode while others are gonna love it. I always say that real art can't touch and please everyone.

We have a proverb in French (at least in Québec) that says: All the tastes are in nature. So there's no such thing as good or bad taste and everyone's opinion matters. So, 4th Horseman, to summarize the answer to the first goal of this topic; I say you should watch all the seasons of the X-Files! There's always something great and different in each one and even at its very worst, X-Files is better than most shows.

P.S. To 4th Horseman; Thanks a lot for the thanks! Hehe, I'm glad you appreciate my thoughts in the discussions.

have been busy watching S1 of X-files and i have some assessments...would like your guys input as well....havent quite finished the entire season, but so far, i have come to really like "Space" , "Eve", "Fire", "Beyond the Sea", and "Lazarus"....others, like "Gender Bender" i thought were not so hot...still have a couple of episodes to watch, and i will give you my thoughts later...(as if it means anything)...

4th Horseman

• Elders (Moderators)
have been busy watching S1 of X-files and i have some assessments...would like your guys input as well....havent quite finished the entire season, but so far, i have come to really like "Space" , "Eve", "Fire", "Beyond the Sea", and "Lazarus"....others, like "Gender Bender" i thought were not so hot...still have a couple of episodes to watch, and i will give you my thoughts later...(as if it means anything)...

My absolute favorite of Season 1 is Beyond the Sea, I think it's just beautiful.

Btw, isn't it funny to see all those familiar faces that would later appear in Millennium? There's at least one such actor on almost every episode of S1.

My absolute favorite of Season 1 is Beyond the Sea, I think it's just beautiful.

Btw, isn't it funny to see all those familiar faces that would later appear in Millennium? There's at least one such actor on almost every episode of S1.

DBSD...i was thinking the very same thing.....

4th Horseman