XF2: IWTB official promotion

Rate this topic

Guest Laurent.

I just thought it would be cool to have one thread to post any news on the marketing for XF2... if ever there is one.

As far as I know the trailer was not released with Iron Man because FOX does not want to "over-hype" the movie. I for one think that it is because they try to save as much money as possible. It's probably also why the first official poster (polish poster who may be used for all the European promotion) is so bad:

iwtbplakat2.jpg

#1: It's not even DD's real face, I think they took the 3d model from the last video game to do the poster.

#2: The perspective is awful; they used a "zoomed" shot of the snow than put DD and GA over it, but the proportion of the sizes (snowflakes vs actors) makes it look like they're figurines.

At least the idea is acceptable (the old X marks the spot concept)... yet it could've been awesome if they didn't let the new intern do the work. At least if the movie does not do well on the box office, 1013 will be able to use the "blame it on FOX and the marketing" defense. :doh:

Good Lord,

Surely that's not real Laran? Blimey to Betsy if it is. It is staggeringly awful, a shocking photoshop job even I could improve upon. Where are Scully's feet? Who's the chunk in the Duchovny mask? The perspective means they are only a foot high.....shall I go on.

Are you 100% my friend that it's genuine?

Best wishes

Eth

Given the sound history of quality associated with the X-Files and 1013 I will stake my bet that it is a fan creation my friend. It is a common thing for fan fakes to be used online in lieu of an official release. The media recently circulated an 'official' cover for the new Madonna album which caused much hilarity amongst the fans who made it and I know of numerous online stores who use fan creations to encourage pre-orders for movies and music.

I will probably have to take every word of this back if I am proved wrong but it's too bad to real in my opinion.

Best wishes,

Eth

EDIT - I had a little mosey through the X-Files Forums over at Ultimate and the general opinion seems to be it's so terrible it's brilliant, that old paradox again. Guess I know nothing lol.

Guest Laurent.

I also hope it is fan made but I honestly doubt it because those particular pictures of the search party are nowhere to be found on the net. But it is so bad... why aren't they using the original poster like Imdb does?

On the other hand, I find it bizarre that the credits at the bottom are in English, over here we "french-isize" everything that comes from Hollywood. Is that a common practice in Europe?

Guest ZeusFaber

My suspicion at this stage is that it is genuine, but unfinished. Perhaps the Mulder/Scully image is a placeholder until Duchovny and Anderson are available for a proper photoshoot.

Guest Laurent.
My suspicion at this stage is that it is genuine, but unfinished. Perhaps the Mulder/Scully image is a placeholder until Duchovny and Anderson are available for a proper photoshoot.

Aaaaah that's quite possible! I certainly hope that you're right.

I do hope you are correct Zeus and given your XF knowledge I am quite content that you are. I did wonder if this could be a leak, a work in progress so to speak as that is in no way and image to proud of. We have a few artists on TIWWA who might like to cast their adept gaze over it but I can identify numerous errors beyond the noted issues with Mulder's head and Scully's invisible feet. Bejesus you can count every 'layer' (7) used to create the composite and that is shockingly poor.

If it 'isn't a leak' and it 'is' a work in progress why on earth would such an image be released to the masses whilst in such a state of incompleteness? It isn't even of the standard low-budget fanfilms are capable of?

They really have to up the ante for the sole reason than we have a contigent of people here who realise that our demigod's future depends on a success on the XF front.

Best wishes,

Eth

Guest ZeusFaber
I do hope you are correct Zeus and given your XF knowledge I am quite content that you are. I did wonder if this could be a leak, a work in progress so to speak as that is in no way and image to proud of.

XFilesNews.com today reports that to be the case, apparently from "official channels". So there we are. Sighs of relief all 'round perhaps.

We have a few artists on TIWWA who might like to cast their adept gaze over it but I can identify numerous errors beyond the noted issues with Mulder's head and Scully's invisible feet. Bejesus you can count every 'layer' (7) used to create the composite and that is shockingly poor.

Well, I don't think it's quite that bad! :wink: Then again, I hardly have an eye for that kind of thing, with my knowledge of Photoshop engineering very poor at best. I imagine that this is just a "concept" rendering, and I have to say that despite the physical flaws, the concept of the poster itself is rather good IMO.

If it 'isn't a leak' and it 'is' a work in progress why on earth would such an image be released to the masses whilst in such a state of incompleteness? It isn't even of the standard low-budget fanfilms are capable of?

I doubt it was released intensionally, probably just an oversight. Employees are only human, after all. Perhaps some newly-qualified junior was showing his latest work to his mother online and the global village did the rest, who knows?