XF2: IWTB official promotion

Rate this topic

Guest Laurent.
LOL If he is happy to see Scully does that mean it is detachable?

Hahaha!

I may have more news from Cannes! I stumbled upon this article: French article from Quebec's Le Devoir

The only part of interest is the ending which, roughly translated by myself, states:

The festival's direction, headed by Thierry Frémaux, will soon announce the opening and closing movies. The rumor, believe it or not, talks about Sex and the City and even X-Files: I Want to Believe.

Laran,

I'm sure you will have the seen the other promo poster, the rectangular one, on one of the XF Sites? Do you have an image file of it because that one is great :)

Best wishes,

Eth

Guest Laurent.

I need to rectify my mistake, the article I posted was dated april's 24th... as XF:IWTB is not on Cannes' selection list, I presume that it will not be shown at the festival.

In anyway, here's the poster from Cannes (better than the official marketing one):

cannes-2008-26-1.jpg

And I've just read on X-Files Ultimate that a new official X-Files website should be released in the middle of June. It is describes as a promotional trivia site.

edit: when I check the thread I seldom see the image I posted, if you are also having problems just search a bit at JoBlo.com for an article named "The Cannes Pictures"

Guest Laurent.

Strangely, the russian version of the poster seems to promote the movie as "The X-Files 2". I think that's a bad move as you don't want to give the impression that it is a sequel to the story of the first movie. You can find the poster here.

The french title as also been released, beware that it may contain a spoiler (especially because the translation is easy):

Aux frontières du réel: Régénération

. For those who do not know, Aux frontières du réel is the french name of The X-Files (At the limits of reality... cheesy huh?)

So it made me wonder if the russian or polish title that we've seen are litteral translation of I Want to Believe or not.

edit: I would guess so because the last word of the russian catch phrase matches the last word of the subtitle... I feel like Sherlock Holmes!

2nd edit: they also updates the poster at Cannes to add M&S and the title:

cannes-x-files-(2).jpg

From the point of vie and the shape of the poster, I guess they've been added in front of the background and not directly on the poster... I hope the effect is better in person than on picture because right now I have to say that it looked better without them or the title!!

Guest ZeusFaber

I really don't think that French title is a spoiler for anything of the plot in the movie. As Frank Spotnitz indicated in his blog, it merely refers to the return of the franchise, as opposed to anything story-specific.

Thanks for the poster Laran,

It is so much more cinematic in 'widescreen' if you will. Such a terrible shame that Duchovny looks so decidedly odd but it is certainly growing on me nonetheless.

Smiles,

Eth

Guest Laurent.
I really don't think that French title is a spoiler for anything of the plot in the movie. As Frank Spotnitz indicated in his blog, it merely refers to the return of the franchise, as opposed to anything story-specific.

I certainly hope this is the case and that they're not spoiling anything; although it's really lame title if it has nothing to do with the actual story. It really isn't the right word for "return of a franchise".

There is a petition going around so that the title of the movie remains unchanged... but with Quebec's linguistic law, I doubt they would let the movie be promoted as "I Want to Believe".

So it made me wonder if the russian or polish title that we've seen are litteral translation of I Want to Believe or not.

edit: I would guess so because the last word of the russian catch phrase matches the last word of the subtitle... I feel like Sherlock Holmes!

Yes, the Russian title is a literal translation of "I Want to Believe." As well as Polish one. ;)

Brazilian and Spanish titles are also literal translations of IWTB.

So far it looks like only France and Germany have another titles and those titles suck. :(

Guest peas_and_corn
What the ...? I can't believe this. Can they really be that sloppy?

Well, from what they have produced so far, they quite clearly have been sloppy since at least the "promotion" began! Argh, this is annoying me. I want the film to be successful, but it seems to be strangled from all angles- perhaps Fox is bitter about the court case and is screwing CC over?

Guest Laurent.

I'm pretty sure that if the shot with the crew is used in the film they will take them out numerically! It's not unusual for trailers to feature incomplete special effect shots; they want to show off the beautiful scenes of the movie, like this helicopter-shot of the search party in the snow, but since they release trailers before post-production they have to rely on uncompleted version! And it's not like it is remarkable from a "normal" viewer point of view.

As far as I'm concerned, it's just a funny easter egg... like the guy falling in the snow who'll probably be in the movie, you can find pictures of this over x-files ultimate, somewhere in the news archive...