X-Files I Want to Believe - Bombs?

Rate this topic

I agree with Irene!

I always felt that IWTB should of not been a summer release to begin with. With the setting and storyline I would of released the movie in October. Re-releasing is a good idea. I hope FOX considers it. X-Files was originally started in October anyway.

Guest Laurent.

Here's an updated comparison of the " worldwide box office / budget " ratio or (profit percentage) of some 08 summer movies that had similar or worst b.o.% than X-Files:

XF: IWTB .............................. 60.437 / 29 = 208.40% (I changed the budget to 29 millions as it's supposed to have been confirmed by DD and FOX)*

Chronicles of Narnia: PC ........ 410.516 / 200 = 205.26%

The Incredible Hulk ................ 254.087 / 137 = 185.46%

The Mummy:TotDE ................ 317.326 / 175 = 181.33%

Step Brothers ........................ 96.360 / 65 = 148.25%

Hellboy 2: TGA ...................... 108.166 / 83 = 130.32%

Space Chimps ....................... 36.604 / 37 = 98.93%

Speed Racer ......................... 92.327/ 120 = 76.99%

Love Guru ............................. 38.176 / 62 = 61.57%

Meet Dave ............................ 30.142 / 60 = 50.24% (not updated.. who cares?)

Remember that the budget used do not consider marketing, although it would probably similar fractions of the production budget and would not change the figures a lot. It's also not an actual profit percentage, as a fraction of the b.o. goes to the theaters, etc.

*with the maximum estimate of $35 millions, XF comes in second place, a few % behind Prince Caspian.

Logical conclusion: it's better to produce two low-budget XF installments (or one big budget finale) than another Mike Myers or Eddie Murphy movie.

Guest Laurent.

It underperformed I guess... considering how huge X-Files, as a franchise, once was. Maybe some executives at FOX secretly expected IWTB numbers to be similar to FTF and they are probably disappointed.

But the truth is: IWTB was still a better investment than some of this summer's big budget movie. Especially in comparison to the last three of my list (Speed Racer, Love Guru and Meet Dave) who were real flops in any sense of the way. Meet Dave being a FOX production... I hope they realize which franchise has more potential between X-Files and Eddie Murphy's questionable comedies.

• 3 weeks later...
Dear friends,

Here's hoping that someone like Mark can shed some knowledge with regards to a few articles I have read that assert that XF2 has garnered a poor reception with regards to its box office presence in the US. Figures and statistics mean very little to me so I am unaware as to how good or bad the financial reception has been to this film to date.

Eth

X-Files Bombs

Is there an online site that rates movies and tells about their performance at the box office?

Guest Laurent.

I'm not even sure you could call it a bomb in the US. Honestly, how was Zodiac (a film that is in a very similar genre) considered at the time of its theatrical release?

It made $33,080,084 in the US on a budget of $85,000,000... that's not even half of its budget! IWTB made two thirds of its budget in the US alone. Yet the reviews for Zodiac were A LOT better than for IWTB, but the film just didn't do that well. I think The X-Files fanbase is still very much alive.

Zodiac made $20,983,925 in DVD sales in the US. Let's wait and see how IWTB will perform...