X-Files I Want to Believe - Bombs?

Rate this topic

Guest Laurent.
UPDATE ON XF2 INTERNATION REVENUE STREAMS..

So far to date, as of 8/10/08, the domestic take is approximately $20M...still 10-15M shy of breaking even...although i am sure the box office numbers will eventually pump out a nice tidy little profit for Fox...

4th Horseman...

X-Files always did good internationally; I hope FOX care more about the total figures than the american box-office alone. As of monday:

Total US Gross $19,750,553

International Gross $31,400,000

Worldwide Gross $51,150,553

Sadly, the worldwide gross after more than two weeks is what some fans expected as opening weekend revenue alone. I guess the dvd sell will be the major source of revenue; cult movie always sell better in dvd format than on the big screen.

Guest ZeusFaber

Any fans who were expecting the movie to take in excess of $50m on its opening domestic weekend would have been rather unrealistic, to say the least.

$22m was about the highest the studio's most optimistic projections went up to.

Hi chaps,

Could any of you guys recommend a site where box office takings can be found? I have tried to keep track of this films performance in the UK but am struggling to find the figures.

It would be much aprreciated.

Best wishes,

Eth

Guest Laurent.

I just listened to one of Dean Haglund's radio show episode and he guessed the opening numbers for IWTB would be.... 75 millions in the USA alone!!

He must be a disappointed fan now... I hope he's not discouraged to go forward with his own Lone Gunmen movie!!

edit:

Hi chaps,

Could any of you guys recommend a site where box office takings can be found? I have tried to keep track of this films performance in the UK but am struggling to find the figures.

It would be much aprreciated.

Best wishes,

Eth

Sorry Eth... I was writing my own post when yours came up!

Here's my favorite box office website: the numbers.

second edit: (didn't read your whole post... sorry)

But for the UK figures, try this one: box office mojo

third edit: (didn't check the link well enough... sorry! I got it right this time though!)

Okay... I found what you're looking for on imdb! Here.

Guest ZeusFaber
I just listened to one of Dean Haglund's radio show episode and he guessed the opening numbers for IWTB would be.... 75 millions in the USA alone!!

Surely said in jest. :rofl:

Guest Laurent.

Hopefully. He said he thought it would be more than 35 millions 'cause he had been receiving a lot of fan mail. :fool:

Anyway, IWTB is doing much better than Meet Dave, Space Chimps and Love Guru who all had a bigger budget (twice as much for Love Guru and Meet Dave) and are the real box office bombs of the summer.

note: Space Chimps and Love Guru have good number in the U.S.A. but they're awful overseas.

Here's a comparison of the " worldwide box office / budget " ratio or (profit percentage) of some summer movies still in theater that did worst than X-Files:

XF: IWTB .............................. 51.317 / 35 = 146.62%

Step Brothers ........................ 82.572 / 65 = 127.03%

The Mummy .......................... 212.850 / 175 = 121.63% (the only one who has not been in theater for as many days as IWTB)

Space Chimps ....................... 27.513 / 37 = 74.36%

Love Guru ............................. 37.275 / 62 = 60.12%

Meet Dave ............................ 30.142 / 60 = 50.24%

and there are others (smaller or independent movies) ...

1013 has nothing do be ashamed of. Especially because the movie is good! So, in answer to the original post, my verdict is: not a bomb! Anyone disagrees?

you are probably correct zeus, $50M the first weekend was a pipe dream at best, but, with revenues domestically at only $20M in its near month long release, one could express a bit of disbelief as well that it faired so poorly here in the U.S. .... its taken the movie nearly 30 days to realize what the executives at Fox calculated it would generate in the first weekend...

4th Horseman

Guest Laurent.
you are probably correct zeus, $50M the first weekend was a pipe dream at best, but, with revenues domestically at only $20M in its near month long release, one could express a bit of disbelief as well that it faired so poorly here in the U.S. .... its taken the movie nearly 30 days to realize what the executives at Fox calculated it would generate in the first weekend...

4th Horseman

I'm sure the executives at FOX would rather have the 20 millions in the USA + the 30 millions internationally of TXF than the 31 millions in the USA + the 5 millions internationally of Love Guru that paramount received.

Maybe there are some business gears I'm not aware of; but from my point of view, international money is still money!!!

Guest ZeusFaber

I do agree that it hasn't faired particularly well so far, all things considered.

I agree with laran's assessment of there being nothing to be ashamed of given the long-haul figures and percentages, it's just that it still hasn't done well enough to make anyone sit up and take notice.

Guest Laurent.
one could express a bit of disbelief as well that it faired so poorly here in the U.S.

4th Horseman

I agree with that though. There must be some concern about what went wrong in the U.S.A.... I hope they'll realize the timing and promotion was not the best... or the powers that be may be too weary with TXF to greenlight a third film.