Lance on "Castle" November 15, 2010

Rate this topic

Guest teedub

Guest SpooktalkGiGi

Watching the episode now. :) Lance played a character called Benny Stryker, i thought he did a very good job, i kept thinking Frank Black while watching him. I don't think he will ever live down that character, he is Frank Black! There was also another character in the episode named Carter, lol and Castle referenced Kate to dye her hair red and start calling him Mulder. lol :) This was very much an XFiles homage and a very good one. Also the cigarette smoking man(a personal favorite of mine) was referenced too. :) Lance wasn't in the episode very long, just a guest apperance, but any Lance is better than no Lance. :)

Laura :)

Guest WaveCrest

I agree with Randee, I bet the ratings went up slightly so that's no bad thing at all is it.

Eth

I checked on Zap2it yesterday to see how Castle and the Five-O revival did on Monday night in the 10 pm timeslot. It was very close in the fast national ratings. Castle got 10 million viewers (6.4 rating and 11% share) and the Five-O revival got 10.2 million viewers (6.4 rating and 11% share). The Five-O revival won the 18-49 demos, getting a 2.8 rating.

Guest arcanamundi

Watching the episode now. :) Lance played a character called Benny Stryker, i thought he did a very good job, i kept thinking Frank Black while watching him. I don't think he will ever live down that character, he is Frank Black! There was also another character in the episode named Carter, lol and Castle referenced Kate to dye her hair red and start calling him Mulder. lol :) This was very much an XFiles homage and a very good one. Also the cigarette smoking man(a personal favorite of mine) was referenced too. :) Lance wasn't in the episode very long, just a guest apperance, but any Lance is better than no Lance. :)

The whole episode was an homage to CC and the 1013 current! From the opening teaser, it had a 'XF' flavor. But definitely not enough Lance, though his cameo was another nod to 1013. And Rob Bowman was a producer on it.

Not sure what Lyle Lovett was doing there.

Not sure what Lyle Lovett was doing there.

Getting paid?

But seriously. Thanks for the information. I have heard it mentioned that there was an nod to the Cigarette Smoking Man as well but have read any information about what this nod was. Could anyone fill me in?

Thanks for sharing the ratings Richard. Do you know if the ratings were slightly up on what is the norm for the show? I'm hoping for a little spike in the viewing figures to demonstrate the power of 1013. :whistling:

Eth

Guest Charger

Thanks a lot for all of your reviews guys! Can't wait to see the episode....will take about a year...so I'll end up forgetting everything about this by then! :suspect:

Too bad Lance didn't have a bigger role then...but some Lance is indeed better than no Lance! :grouphug:

I have heard it mentioned that there was an nod to the Cigarette Smoking Man as well but have read any information about what this nod was. Could anyone fill me in?

I think there was a cigarette butt at the crime scene, but no closeup of it. It wasn't a Morely. :oneeyedwinK Then later in the episode, in reference to that bit of evidence, someone said "a cigarette smoking man." Very casual. :smokin:

Guest WaveCrest

Thanks for sharing the ratings Richard. Do you know if the ratings were slightly up on what is the norm for the show? I'm hoping for a little spike in the viewing figures to demonstrate the power of 1013. :whistling:

Eth

This season Castle has been normally getting between 11 and 12.5 million viewers in the fast national ratings. The first two Monday nights of the season Castle and the Five-0 revival were virtually neck and neck. Since then though Castle has been winning the 10 pm timeslot. Digital Spy posted a news article for Monday night's prime-time TV in the US on Tuesday:

Monday night's prime-time TV in the US - ratings news - Digital Spy news article

Thank you Richard. So the ratings weren't affected by the subject matter or the guest star then? Curious. I would have thought a few Philes would have tuned in out of curiosity and bumped the ratings a little. Thank you for the clarification.

As "Castle" airs on NBC does anyone know if they would have needed permission from Fox to use trademarks associated with XF in their episode? I have a feeling that copyright doesn't extend to parody or homage but could well be wrong?

Eth

Guest SpooktalkGiGi

I don't think they would have needed any permission because everything was just referneced and not explicitly mentioned, like nothing was specifically X-files only implied and i guess anyone can whistle the theme song and dye their hair red and call their friends Mulder. lol

Fair point Miss C and I apologise for not thanking teedub for filling me in with regards to the reference to the CSM. I missed that post and apologise.

Don't you think Rob Bowman and co missed a perfect opportunity to have a thousand Millennium fans SQUEEEEEEEEEEE themselves into oblivion? All he had to do was insert a line or two and have Lance's character respond to a buzzing pager flashing the legent '2000' on its screen. Believe me folks, this Millennium fan would have something akin to a religious experience. XF references are nice, there's no denying at, but a little reference to MM wouldn't have hurt now would it? :whistling:

Eth