Snow Files of the Week

Rate this topic

22 hours ago, The Old Man said:

Sweet, MM tracks are always my favourite!

This Old Woman is with you Old Man, MLM is #1.  I do however love Mark's album "Les Herbes Folles Soundtrack (aka Wild Grass)."  It's beautiful.  Here's a 13 min suite that Alex has posted at Vimeo from the album.  Thank you Alex.  :23:   :hug:

• Like 1

• Elders (Moderators)

Snow Files of the Week: "Grow up Superboy/Ferris Wheel" from "Smallville" (2001).

The show ran for ten seasons, but after season 6, Mark left the show and his former music editor Louis Febre took over for the remaining three seasons. It was Mark's decision, since he was so busy doing the music for "Smallville" and "Ghost Whisperer" at the same time, with additional movies in between (like the second X-Files movie in 2008), that he just wanted to have more time with his family.

The music for "Smallville" shows Mark again as a master of haunting themes and melody. His distinctive sound is easy to recognize. A digital album was released with music from the show, before La-La-Land Records released a 2-CD-Set, containing all tracks from the digital album, as well as a second CD with even more music from the show. It also has tracks by Louis Febre from the later seasons. The CD was limited to 3000 copies and is now sold out.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

• Elders (Admins)

Have to admit I'm not a huge fan of this particular track but I really enjoyed Smallville and yes, definitely Mark's soundtrack in general. It got really dark after the first few seasons and the farm house scenes reminded me a lot of Millennium's Yellow House but Mark did a great job on the score. 

chloe sullivan superman GIF

• Like 1

• Elders (Moderators)

Snow Files of the Week: "Harold & Chrissy/Closure", from "The X-Files", episode "Jose Chung's From Outer Space" (1996).

"Jose Chung's From Outer Space" is one of the wackiest episodes of season three. Written by Darin Morgan, it takes the pillars of the show and turns them upside down in a way. Is the truth really out there? And if so, who's truth is it?

"Harold & Chrissy" opens the episode, when two teenagers are abducted by aliens. This event sets off a string of even stranger events, before Jose Chung comes to the conclusion, that maybe we aren't alone in the universe, but on this planet, in our own separate ways, we are all alone. This final scene is scored with one of the most beautiful themes, that Mark has written for the show, "Closure".

This piece of music also closes the over thirty minutes long suite of X-files music, that is featured on the sampler "The Snow Files". But in the suite, it has been altered slightly, with a choir added to the mix.

The music from "Jose Chung's From Outer Space" also appeared completely on a promotional CD, that was meant as a FYC CD for the Emmys.

These two tracks were released on the first volume of X-Files music from La-La Land Records. This volume is limited to 2.000 copies.

Enjoy!

• Elders (Moderators)

Snow Files of the Week: "Gehenna Part I/Dylan/Gehenna Part II" from "MillenniuM", episode "Gehenna" (1996).

"Gehenna" is the second episode of the first season. The word "Gehenna" is hebrew and means "Hell". In this episode, written by Chris Carter, the leader of a death cult burns his victims inside a giant industrial oven.

Mark uses the melody of the main theme pretty often within his score. "Gehenna Part I" begins with a beautiful rendition of the theme, as Frank Black covers up his daughter Jordan in the bed. The music follows a colleague of Frank as he discovers the industrial oven and almost gets burned in it himself. The track "Dylan" plays in the interrogation scene, when Frank talks to a young man about the "face of the beast" and the "red rain". "Gehenna Part II" marks the final scene of the episode, when Frank is in the hospital with his wife Catherine, telling her that he is unsure of whether the "bad man" ever can be caught.

Those tracks were released on the second volume of "MillenniuM" music by La-La Land Records. The 2CD set is limited to 2.000 copies.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

• Elders (Moderators)
Snow Files of the Week: "Caroline at Midnight (Main Theme)" (1994).

This tv movie is a romantic thriller, from which only the Main Titles were released on the sampler "The Snow Files". Fans of THE X-FILES will recognize the theme immediately. In the same year, Mark used it for the teaser scene of the second season X-Files vampire-episode "3". It is therefore also included on the "The Truth and the Light"-CD, named "Carmen Amatorium Ex Arcanum", which literally translated means "Secret Song from Loved Ones". Several tracks from the episode are also featured on the third box set with X-Files music, released by La-La Land Records.

Enjoy!

• Like 1