This Is Who We Americans Are

Rate this topic

hippyroo

I agree with you, but I still think it's mean, so there! :tongue:

:bash:          (What this whole "agenda" basically amounts to..)

:arguing:      (At least we can all do this politely, I think!!! )

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What's really mean is their insistence that they support life, when

they do VERY selectively. Politely? Not in :unclesam:

:doh: :grin:

This woman has had no therapy or reabilitaion for years. There are others like her that now have some kind of life. There is even on lady, I can't remember her name, that fights for people like this. She was considered unresponsive, and so operated on without anestic... she felt the whole thing! Back to my point, if Teri had been given some stimulation over the last 8 years she might not be in the state she is in. The bottom line is, we don't really know what the condition of her soul is in. She might be registering nothing. Then again she may be screaming inside with no way to tell us. The doctors don't really know for sure in her case.

Of course this case goes to the point of who gets to decide. Many who are all for letting this lady starve to death would also be appalled if Christian Scientist, who believe medicine is evil, let one of there children die because they didn't want to let a doctor operate on him/her. It is the same issue. Who decides?

Someone pointed out a contradiction about Christens being all for saving people like this, or unborn babies, but also ready to kill others. I find a similar situation with the aboriton issue. In the US it is illegal to damage an eagle's egg. You can be fined or even imprisoned for tampering with one. Yet, you can rip a "fetus" apart and suck it out with the blessings of the law. Another issue is that a person can be prosecuted for killing the baby if they hit or injure a pregnant woman. But if that same woman had aborted the baby a few hours before the injury it would have been just fine.

been given some stimulation over the last 8 years she might not be in the state she is in.  The bottom line is, we don't really know what the condition of her soul is in.  She might be registering nothing.  Then again she may be screaming inside with no way to tell us.  The doctors don't really know for sure in her case.

Of course this case goes to the point of who gets to decide.  Many who are all for letting this lady starve to death would also be appalled if Christian Scientist, who believe medicine is evil, let one of there children die because they didn't want to let a doctor operate on him/her.  It is the same issue.  Who decides?

Someone pointed out a contradiction about Christens being all for saving people like this, or unborn babies, but also ready to kill others.  I find a similar situation with the aboriton issue.  In the US it is illegal to damage an eagle's egg.  You  can be fined or even imprisoned for tampering with one.  Yet, you can rip a "fetus" apart and suck it out with the blessings of the law.  Another issue is that a person can be prosecuted for killing the baby if they hit or injure a pregnant woman.  But if that same woman had aborted the baby  a few hours before the injury it would have been just fine.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

She's been diagnosed as PVS. She's been in this state for 15 years. Large parts

of her brain have liquified. She's not coming back to any semblance of what we'd call living.

That is not the same issue. This woman has been in a hospital and has been receiving care, attention, medicine, food for years. Big difference between that

and those wackjob anti-medical care folks.

Lastly, the woman would've decided to have an abortion. HER choice regarding HER body. It wasn't exactly her choice if someone kicked her in the stomach, killing the fetus. And comparing this situation to the protection of eagles is comparing apples and oranges.

She's been diagnosed as PVS. She's been in this state for 15 years. Large parts

of her brain have liquified. She's not coming back to any semblance of what we'd call living.

That is not the same issue. This woman has been in a hospital and has been receiving care, attention, medicine, food for years. Big difference between that

and those wackjob anti-medical care folks.

Lastly, the woman would've decided to have an abortion. HER choice regarding HER body. It wasn't exactly her choice if someone kicked her in the stomach, killing the fetus. And comparing this situation to the protection of eagles is comparing apples and oranges.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Apples and oranges, exactly. We should be protecting "human eggs" at least as well as we protect eagle's eggs. I still don't understand how "choice" trumps murder?

• Elders (Moderators)

I think this discussion is drifting away from the original topic.

All the situations mentioned so far are examples of the difficult issues that any society has to face. And there never are easy resolutions. Unless we are very careful in how we discuss such issues, we can end up in an argument that doesn't solve anything, but can lead to people feeling angry and hurt. And there's already too much of that in the world.

We all have our views about many things, but with issues like this, it's probably better to just accept that different people have different opinions.

I think this discussion is drifting away from the original topic.

We all have our views about many things, but with issues like this, it's probably better to just accept that different people have different opinions.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll agree that we're drifting, so if anyone wants, we could always

start a new thread, go back to the original topic, or can all just zip it and move on. And of course we all have different opinions. Doesn't mean we shouldn't discuss those opinions in a civilized manner. And I think we all have. You've seen internet shout fests before. This is like church in comparison. :bigsmile:

Guest blondton13

Yes, I think we've all been pretty good about sounding off without personally attacking each other. Various topics are going to inevitably lead to issues that people feel stongly about, and we should be able to discuss these as we have.

I think that Libby, being one of our wise elders, is just reminding us all to choose our comments carefully so that it doesn't turn into a personal attack.... :wink:

But I must congratulate everyone on being strong-minded without making it personal.

(I myself hate human beings, but you see how nice I am to everybody!!!!) :wtf::rofl::bigsmile: LOL!!!

...that's a funny, by the way!