...6 Years Later: Season Three In Review

Rate this topic

Guest A Stranger

Guest ModernDayMoriarty

Emma wants to know why such vile acts are allowed to happen. What kind of existence can this be if there is no reason behind it she ponders. Therefore, she resolves that there *has* to be a reason. Both Peter and Frank know that there is indeed a reason why these things happen - evil exists as a force. It isn't just humans acting monstrous for no reason (although many criminals have such reasons as the episode explains). There is a force out there that is causing this misery.

Now, what do you do when faced with such knowledge? Do you stand up and fight it with whatever means necessary like the MLM Group or do you try and find a way to exist in such a hostile, menacing universe. It isn't an easy question to answer and Frank, throughout the whole of this Season, tries to keep Emma away from the full realisation of this. He doesn't want Emma to know about the greater evil because it isn't something he wants people to have to live with knowing. We have seen him do this with Catherine of course. He constantly leaves her out of the loop, tries to cut ties (early on) with her and attempts to persuade her that the Group are wrong. He doesn't say anything about what they are fighting, hoping that Emma will be sufficiently repulsed by their methods to not want to know more.

But he counts without the damage that Melissa's death and her father's illness have created in Emma. She must know why the Group act as hideously as they do. She wants reassurance that they are evil and should be fought but Frank denies her that kind of peace of mind. He won't let her in. Peter on the other hand offers to show her the meaning of her existence. There is a why and it doesn't have to be that way. Evil and misery exists but it can be stopped if you have the will. The Old Man from S2 knew the horror of the burden laid at the feet of members. That is why they had to come and pass a test - were they ready, did they really deserve the misery that he was about to give them? Emma isn't just ready - she *needs* that misery despite what she says. It is a terrible thing to learn but for her, it would be more terrible not to learn it.

Emma tries to keep Frank out of her business in 'Closure'. She doesn't want him to see it. Frank is simply acting in a similar fashion but with more tragic consequences. They work together for about a year, they become good friends but ultimately they just understand each other because of flaws in both their characters.

Which all leads me nicely onto:

Guest ModernDayMoriarty

SKULL AND BONES - A+.

This is quite simply one of my all time favourite episodes. It has the kind of terror that previously only Chris Carter had managed in 'Pilot', 'Lamentation' and 'TEOTWAWKI'. Many find it hard to take as it contradicts episodes of S2 and finally cements the MLM Group as villains of the MLM world. To my mind however, it is doing what S2 held back from doing and presenting a much more realistic and horrifying vision of an Illuminati style group in modern times. When they were engaged to write S3, the TV bosses stipulated that they didn't want it to be like S2. More importantly, the principal writers (Chris Carter, Chip J, Ken Horton etc) have since stated they too were vastly disastified with the direction that S2 took. Now under pressure to deliver a new MLM Season and armed with the knowledge that whatever they did, they didn't want Nazis etc etc clogging up the screen, they were faced with the daunting task of sifting out what stayed and what went.

The world ended at the end of S2 basically. That obviously needed seeing to. The Group has been exposed as a controlling, often malovolent force (S2 fans may disagree but just watch episodes like 'The Time is Now' when they describe their lack of interest in the lives of individuals, witness their assasination of the Odessa members behind Frank's back in 'Owls/Roosters'). The writers disagreed with certain strands to the point that they just couldn't write about them in good conscience (there is a barely disguised contempt for the latter half of S2 on the documentaries). Therefore, Odessa et al were excised from MLM. Hence this episode with its rejigging of what happened to Cheryl Andrews. The writers appear to have thought 'Okay, so the Group are like that. Well, we might as well do it properly then'.

The problem with the Group in S2 was that it got so much attention from M+W with its correct predictions, its defeat of the 'Uber-evil' Odessa and its tracking down of fabled relics 'for the good of mankind', that Frank was often left out in the cold. The final revelations that the Group were more sinister than first believed was severely diluted with over the top performances (such as Stephen Macht in 'The Time is Now' practically cackling his way through his lines and dressed in something that wouldn't have out of place in 'Dark City'). Also, the assassinations against Odessa are played out to mournful music, seen as triumphant moves. Frank has always maintained he doesn't work with assassins, the Group even chewed him for killing the PS and then do something like this! But we have been taught to empathise so much with the Group and believe in what they are doing that people even now maintain that the Group were not evil until S3!!!

Skull and Bones rights this particular wrong. The Group do indeed have a purpose and they are doing what they feel they need to do. But you can't get away from the fact of what it is they do. They remove threats to the greater good and it has already been implied that this means killing people. And not just 'bad men' like Odessa. The MLM Group has declared a holy war against the ordinary man. He must live his life in accordance with the safety and security and stablity of the country or his life will be taken away. As later explained in Matryoska, the Group has become more and more convinced of the rectitude of its actions to the point where they have assumed God's mantle. For all those still labouring under the misapprehension that the Group are the good guys, 'Skull and Bones' blasts us with extreme images of implied murder and torture. Chillingly, the music 'Love hurts' plays in the background as Emma sees what they really are. Becuase to them, they are doing this out of love. They love their country and they will do what must be done to protect it and its citizens. It shows us baths of blood, torture devices, skulls, bodies, plastic sheets to contain the sprays of blood, remote locations to do their work and it asks us 'So, how do you like them now?'

And then there is Peter. He has been such a rock of stability for us and Frank. Dependable, intelligent, dedicated - a true friend in trying times. Now here he is mixed up in all this. It's a betrayal. But wheras many fans saw this as unforgivable, I thought it was wonderful. Because even in this episode we see that Peter is not simply fine with all this. He regrets terribly that this is necessary and as the season wears on we learn of his need to bring Frank back into the fold. He trusts Frank's opinions, he needs his approval. Having Frank back would justify the horror he has to partake in, it would finally prove to him that he was doing the right thing. Hence he starts his 'Tug of War' with Frank over Emma. He wants to pull Frank back in and also needs to explain to someone who he is and what he does perhaps just to hear the words and try to believe them.

It's a great episode in that we get both sides of the story. We see the horror but also the necessity of what the group do with Emma's side of the story. With Frank and Emma's stories we see that no secret remains hidden forever, that someone will always find you out. And with Frank we see that he isn't alone. Other people see what what is going on and are watching the Group - other who know about them are revolted at who they are. Through the writer we see the human cost - a man whose life is ruined for knowing what he now knows about the Group. The sheer monstrosity of killing close friends (like Andrews) for the sake of your beliefs and how it has to be fought against. No ideals are worth the innocent lives the Group has taken. Without Frank's intervention, they would have added the writer's life to their tally. Mabius would have killed him without hesitation. The casting of Bob Wilde is simply inspired. He represents what Frank was - a bloodhound for the MLM Group. The struggle between Frank and Mabius is the conflict of the old Frank and the new, enlightened Frank. The skeletal visage of Mabius reveals him to be something less than human, a grim reaper.

The episode presents two distinct paths, two versions of the truth. The MLM do what is necessary versus the MLM Group as monsters, lost in illusions of helping people to justify their controlling ends. 'The truth does matter' Frank explains to Hollis. But which truth? Frank knows which he believes but even now Hollis cannot discount the truth offered by the MLM Group. Which do we believe? Well Frank is the hero but the Season throws itself into making Hollis as important as it possibly can. As a fan of both Frank and Hollis I find it hard to discount both sides. At least this episode finally presents a real choice. Before the MLM Group had never really seemed so bad - they were right in the past about this that and the other weren't they? Many on the boards have asked why Frank didn't join them. This episode shows a very credible reason why not. I defy anyone to watch the closing scenes and not be thrilled and throughly chilled to the bone by what they see.

Through its efforts to make us look carefully at each character's actions and question whether we really can dismiss Frank or Peter's theories, the Season well and truly gripped me. Frank and Peter were like friends from classical fiction, driven apart and fighting over disputes. As in such fiction the struggle is over a woman, Hollis but it isn't about love for her, it is what she represents. She is a person, young and impressionable. Which route through life will she take? Who will she turn to? Peter has already shown his guile at winning support with Barry and now has set his sights on a more important prize.

The direction of this episode is fabulous. It is such a gorgeous episode to watch (dodgy CGI aside). The scene on the murky road where Emma reaches into the earth to uncover its secrets is breathtaking. Framed in background, Peter looms, now such a figure of menace. I can't watch it now without getting a thrill of excitement. Also, the struggle between Frank and Mabius is superbly tense. I never get tired of watching this episode. It crackles with tension and builds the kind of genuine horror that I had feared was gone from Millennium during S2. Instead of killing Hollis or attacking her as it seemed they might with Watts and Mabius lurking as she investigates, they decide to try and 'corrupt' her. I hadn't been expecting it and it made 'Closure' seem so much more valuable an episode as I watched.

Many people will dislike the continuity changes (they were obviously aware of the changes and did so deliberately for the reasons I have suggested) plus will be dismayed at the portrayal of the Group and Peter. I would suggest only that the Group have really always been that way if you look hard enough at S2 and that Peter is not anywhere near a black hearted villain. His speech at the end to Hollis shows his contempt for anyone who would make such a judgement about him and the Group.

In closing, again this is one of my favourite episodes and one I implore people to watch at night by moonlight for the appropriate hit! It is a vital episode to watch to understand both sides of the coin. You must see the darkness of the Group but also understand how and indeed why they are like this. But also you must see what they take away from the world and decide if their reasons could ever be convincing enough to justify that basement of horrors...

Guest A Stranger

Awesome reply, I love hearing such well thought out responses. Thanks. I'd just like to add one thing to it right now relating to the Group's potrayal from season two to three. It is heavily implied in season two that the Group has some sort of divine knowledge. There are "secrets to MLM" as Peter tells Frank in "The Hand of St. Sebastian" that he has to earn. Their predictions come true seeming to reinforce that there is something to this, along with Lara's mental breakdown after she learns these "secrets." It's obvious Morgan and Wong had no idea what this knowledge is, nor did they have to care since they just gave up at the end of the year but this idea, that the Group does in fact posess knowledge seems to be have dropped for the most of season three. For me, at least this was the one thing that made Frank's involvement with the Group seem worthwhile and he admits to Catherine that it is why he cannot leave them in "The Time is Now." Maybe their acts were permissable because they knew something we don't. These same thoughts are latter echoed by Emma in "Forcing the End, " and episode that portrays the Group very similar to how they appear in season two, but from a distance.

My point mainly being that the Group in season three is a little too evil, the other side, Peter's side often seems ludacris. Take the final scene between Frank and Peter in "Goodbye..." Peter says, "We can transcend ourselves." Frank replies, "Is that what you call it? Creating another Ed Cuffle?" Peter then, "That's what you call it." When Frank says, "No, a killer in my house videotaping my daughter." Peter looks like a fool. It is hard to understand why they do such a thing with their power. If anything the Group in season three was not conflicted enough.

Guest ModernDayMoriarty

The Group having such secret, accurate knowledge was in my opinion a crutch that was leaned on far too heavily in S2. It's like in 'The Beginning and the End' where Frank is able to determine infallibly that no natural human motivation can be behind what the PS is doing because the Group have every single piece of information he could possibly want on the guy. In that season, Frank's claims that they are simply a controlling force, using sleight of hand etc seems foolish.

This is precisely my point (and yours as well I think) - that the Seasons are not presenting a credible alternative. The Group's sinister nature is not rammed home with any kind of force in S2 and we are goaded by various means into agreeing with them at the expense of Frank. I maintain that Frank is far too heavily sidelined in S2 as M+W basically seemed to lose all interest in him in favour of exploring the Group. In S3 the Group's actual methods and doctrines of control are much more heavily foregrounded to prevent such easy identification with them. Is their power diminished? Well you have to look at it from several angles.

Firstly, S3 is about releasing the burden of pain and duty in favour of protecting your sanity, family and just excercising the right to live your life without having to worry what others think you should be doing. To this end, it is imperative that Frank be presented with a choice. The choice of 'is the Group right or not, can I leave it behind' was covered in S2 (often poorly but still, it would be simple repetition to do it again). Therefore his choice is whether ot not to combat the Group now he has seen their true colours, the extent to which they will go to 'protect mankind'. So for the first quarter/half of the Season, we see the darkest side possible of the Millennium Group to understand what Frank is fighting against now.

Now, as you have pointed out this skews the problem all the way back in the other direction. Hence the character of Emma Hollis. She is taking up the mantle of deciding if the Group are something to join or fight that Frank grappled with in S2. The first half of the Season establishes who she is and why she might be disposed to joining them. We already know from S2 that the Group has all the answers you could want so they use the time to show us the previously unseen side of the MLM Group and to start Emma's conflict. She has seen the very, very worst right away. All she sees from this point about the Group will be better unlike Frank who was hesitating before finally finding out (which tipped the scales to him leaving).

Therefore, the second half of the Season is devoted to restablishing some inroads into the Group and sympathy for their policies. Episodes like 'Matryoska', 'Forcing the End' and 'Seven and One' attempt to explain why the Group is like it is. Peter is a passionate believer in the Group but his faith is being tested sorely by what he sees. As the Old Lady in Matyoska points out to him, the Group is not the source for Good that it was. It shows that members and ex members really believe in the validity of their work and they are trying to do the right thing. But as 'Seven and One' shows, there is a serpent coiling round the foundations of the Group now. Evil has crept in, unnoticed it would seem and is blackening all their actions now. Peter and the Old Lady (I forget her name) both agree that people like Frank must be brought back into the fold to heal the Group before it is too late (Peter later mentions this in the finale saying that Frank has 'important work he needs to do for the Group'). I suspect Peter would want Frank to help him repair this damage ('Don't change the ideals, change the people' he implores).

I see the good side to the Group in S3. It is there but is severely compromised. Peter is genuinely trying to hold things together but Frank won't listen to him. It is the same lack of communication between Frank and Emma that is occuring between Peter and Frank. You get the idea that, had the Series gone on, Frank may finally have been convinced by Peter to see the danger in just dismissing the Group as an evil insititution. If any film were made then it would likely have to focus on Emma and Frank healing the Group, picking up where Peter left off.

But this is the beauty of S3 for me. It has so many different viewpoints and ways to view the Season. The ending of the Season can be seen as hopeful as Frank and Jordan escape but also dark as Emma is corrupted and Peter slain (or at least removed from the Group for those unwilling to believe in his death). However, it could be said that as she was reletively close to Peter (in a strange way), Emma's introduction into the Group is a good thing as Peter's views will still have a voice there (as the comparisons between Peter and Emma are many and varied throughout S3).

There are still horrific elements to do with the Group inserted of course (as you mentioned, the Ed Cuffle thing). This is keep alive our sense of what Frank is rebelling against and prevent a redux of S2's 'Group that has all the answers and really should be listened to' crimes. They do have answers as Emma discovers, they do have or have had noble aims as Peter's sections display but they also have an unutterably black underside that must be considered repellant and unjustifiable by anyone moral and humane (as shown in Frank's sections). Who is right here? They all are - that's the point! It is this kind of complexity that makes me very annoyed when people dismiss S3 as being terrible (I'm not suggesting you do but many have).

As to Seven... well that film has undoubtably had a serious effect on all modern horror since it was released. You can find its influence in so many places now (including the superior Brit drama 'Messiah') so very possibly. The idea of a body (indivdual or Group) who commit atrocities out of a firm conviction that such action is necessary and towards the greater good is certainly relevant. The extreme images of both 'Skull and Bones' and Seven are meant to focus resentment on the individual/body before hearing their motivations. This is because Hollywood/TV etc cannot be seen to be endorsing such acts too heavily. They need to give a strong sense of why this is wrong before they try and justify it. They will usually then reinforce the hideous nature after the explanation as well. An interesting comparison/contrast is when Dect. Somerset (of Seven) ponders that the only sucessful conclusion to their case would be to discover that the devil himself was behind it. But they won't because John Doe is simply a man. In Millennium, the devil really is behind it. It is this single thing that either makes people love the show or hate it. Critics since S1 heavily criticised bringing supernatural evil into the show as it diluted the study on human evil if you really could blame it on the Devil.

Arguably however, Millennium is entertainment and the promise of hope is a strong pull to winning viewers. When reviewing such dark and daunting subject matter it is always good to think that such suffering can have release and that a cure can be found. Seven is one of the most depressing (but brilliant) films ever made. It offers very little hope and basically mocks us for judging John Doe when we are as a people, infintely worse than he is because has seen through the lies. Millennium at least offers up the chance for redemption; it does not so heavily condemn us as a people to forever be creatures of darkness. Through the actions of people like Frank Black, Peter Watts etc meaning can be found in a meaningless, hostile universe. Evil could one day be beaten.

Realistic? Not really. Entertaining? Yes. Necessary? Certainly. Even if the fight against an all-powerful evil is (probably) not in tune with real world concerns, the ideals of fighting to keep a good, healthy world are. Being told we are sinful, wretched creatures may be valuable to exposing some home truths about humanity but Millennium taps into a hope, a desire to be better.

Guest A Stranger

I think it's interesting to note that though the idea of "the Devil did it" seems ridiculous to many, it doesn't to Chris Carter. It's been stated numerous times that he wanted to take this idea seriously. Frank Spotnitz says this in on one of the documentries from the DVDs. I also remember reading somewhere that Carter does in fact believe in supernatural evil for personal reasons he does not want to disclose. It was an X-files book, I can't think of the name now. It was hard-covered and focused on the real ideas of science and supernatural elements delt with in the series. It was a credible source.

I think it's interesting to note that though the idea of "the Devil did it" seems ridiculous to many, it doesn't to Chris Carter. It's been stated numerous times that he wanted to take this idea seriously. Frank Spotnitz says this in on one of the documentries from the DVDs. I also remember reading somewhere that Carter does in fact believe in supernatural evil for personal reasons he does not want to disclose. It was an X-files book, I can't think of the name now. It was hard-covered and focused on the real ideas of science and supernatural elements delt with in the series. It was a credible source.
Hey Stranger...i believe you are correct. Also, if you listen to Carter describe/explain the Pilot episode in Season 1, he also indicates that he does possess an underlying belief in evil, seemingly based on a religious viewpoint. I think that this point alone validates the essence of what CC was trying to portray in MillenniuM...

The Fourth Horseman

Guest A Stranger

I'd like to keep this thread going. Post more responses!

I'd like to add more thoughts on "Borrowed Time" and why it is probably one of the series's finest. First off, it's important to note that it's written by Chip Johannessen, who appears to be the main driving force behind sesaon three as he is given the Executive Producer title. There are other writers who contributed for sure but the overall spirtual and philosophical ideas portrayed throughout the year echo those of his earlier scripts, specifically "Luminary," "Maranatha," and "In Arcadia Ego." All five star episdoes in my view. But this one his best. Season two promised to explore Frank Black and other than showing us what kind of music he likes it rarely did this. Aside from "The Curse of Frank Black," Frank's struggles and spirtual growth were left aside to pursue Peter's and Lara's almost as equally at times as Franks. I think it's obvious that one of Chip J's main goals was to focus back on Frank, his gift, which Chip J has the best understanding of out of all the writers, evidenced by the DVD documentrires. He says something about it being an exterme sensitivty. This is how I've always seen it as well. Frank is portrayed to perfection in "Borrowed Time." Not to mention it is one of Lance's best performances.

The thing that makes season three so sucessful is it's depth and ablity to underplay nearly everything. "But he can't just dissapear!" Emma says to Frank in reference to Samiel; and Frank's look says more than a Chirs Carter style monolgue or a Morgan and Wong script could ever imply. A very similar scene occurs in "Omerta" when Emmas asks Frank what he thinks the woman are. He says nothing but we know and so do they. Or do we? When dealing with these kind of issues as this show does sometimes it's greatest strength is in it's obliqueness. Sometimes subltle too a fault, though. But it's better than The Old Man spelling it out in "Beware of the Dog." A decent episode but lacking any spirtual seriousness. This can be said for most of season two, in general. There are always exceptions, of course.

The divine conduct themselves far different in "Borrowed Time" than say for instance, Lara's Angel. Samiel (this is how it's spelt in the original shooting script from the Abyss site) is very similar to Samual from season one's "Powers, Principalities, Thrones, and Dominions," this much is obvious. But unlike the blonde haired, blue eyed woman from "Exegesis," this connection works. Not only does it make the connection back to season one, which this season despertaly tires to do, but it also furthers many ongoing plots since then. Mainly Frank's (and our) understanding of Good and Evil, Frank coming to terms with Catherine's death, Emma's growing frustration trying to understrand the world Frank is showing her, and lastly Frank trying to protect Jordan. Which he may not even be able to do. He has Angels, Demons, and seriel killers after her this year! There is a real sense in this episode that she may die. When first watching it I was thinking "they won't kill her..." but at the same time they couldn't possibly have killed Catherine. They did that, though. Frank going grey is a nice touch, for sure.

Does Frank, in the end really have a hand in protecting Jordan? Samiel would say he does not. The episode closes with Cathrine telling us that will does exist. There is such confliction between the ideas proposed here, it's frustrating. I can't make sense of it. But this is as I said earlier, one of MLM's strongest suites. It doesn't merely porpose the questions, that would be easy, or at least something else. I am left with a feeling, an almost humanistic take on the supernatural. There's the feeling there are forces of Good that are to be battled. Creating an Angel like Samiel, who is smug, arrogant, doing God's work and quite possibly wrong is realy thrilling.

The most interesting scene to me has always been Frank's plea to God when Jordan begins to drown. Frank to this point has never prayed. The last time he acknoldeged God was in "In Arcadia Ego," another Chip J episode. Some MLM fans have stated this was out character for Frank, claiming he made no pact with God to "to what you asked of me with no expectations." This is missing the point completly and again, missing the sublty through season three. Frank has been doing God's work all along, that's the point. At least in the sense he has been doing good for the sake of good. Frank was created by Carter, and this has been said many times, to be a hero becuase he is completley selfless. He is the hero because he has stared into the face of evil and remained unchainged. Lucy Butler wants more than just to corrupt Frank, in fact she wants him as he is, her opposite. "The fruit of our union populates the earth," she says in "Antipas." Mankind is the union of both Good and Evil.

It's very possible that Frank's plea to God is what saves Jorden, or at least his plea to Samiel.