Monster

Rate this topic

Guest Jim McLean
"Hate the sin, not the sinner."

Thank you - that was my point. Let justice hate the sin, leave the hatred of the sinner to a higher authority. I wish I was so succinct! I don't have anything more to say on this subject.

Edited by Jim McLean

Thank you - that was my point. Let justice hate the sin, leave the hatred of the sinner to a higher authority. I wish I was so succinct! I don't have anything more to say on this subject.

Dang Laredo, I was just trying to understand where you base your views, but hey a Bible reference is as good as anyplace to let it drop. Yeah, hate the sin, love the sinner.. and often grant mercy, but anyone that harms children should be tied to a millstone and dropped into the water!

O.K. I feel the need to step in here before anyone gets hurt.

Everyone, please try to remember that other people have different views. It's really a no-brainer, but as we all have the ego-need to be *right*, we can sometimes defend our viewpoint quite strongly.

For the record, I think this has gone on quite long enough. "Monster" is a great episode, in that it deals with such touchy subjects. Let's do it justice by examining the Episode.

It's also good to not take things too personally. Often, the insult we see so clearly does not, in fact, exist.

Thank you Raven!

let me try and bend this thread back to its main road:

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers." —Henry IV, part 2, act 4, scene 2

what does this quote have to do with this episode, i have an idea but i would like to read what you all think about it and how it correlates to this episode

Thank you Raven!

let me try and bend this thread back to its main road:

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers." —Henry IV, part 2, act 4, scene 2

what does this quote have to do with this episode, i have an idea but i would like to read what you all think about it and how it correlates to this episode

OK...it has come to my attention (ON MY VACATION NO LESS) that this thread has begun to spiral out of control, again. There are those here who weave a tapestry of lengthy, yet extremely eloquent posts with the razor sharp edge of keen perspective. There are also those who like to keep their posts short and simple. There is nothing wrong with either one. Lets put that on the table before someone responds in a negative fashion that i am claiming one is smarter than the other.

I have only had a few minutes to look over the more recent posts on this thread, and i have but one thing to say:

1. If you DO NOT fully understand another member's post, please either PM that individual or post a response asking for further clarification. Please, please, do not assume intent when you clearly do not understand what that person is trying to say. Jumping to conclusions in attempting an interpretation is not only unfair, but more seriously, can assess a situation with an entirely false or incorrect inference. This will only serve to exacerbate an already simmering issue.

I am competely and utterly in Erin's corner on this one. I simply cannot see where Laredo's response in any way supports of justifies pedophilia. As i stated before, misinterpretation is one thing, assessing someone else's views without a clear understanding of their intent is another...

Also, It would be appreciated if we could refrain from "baiting" other members into responding with comments that have nothing to do with the topic. As Erin says, lets keep it civil, if there are issues with said civility of these discussions, then we will be forced to begin deleting certain posts...

now, can i please get back to my vacation???? LOL

4th Horseman

Down boys......

(wow, can you smell the testosterone?)

Joe has just brought back on topic. What do you think of this quote for this episode?

I would assume we are all familiar with the text the quote derives from but unless a teacher once stood over you with a violent ruler (yup that's my memory of GCSE English) and forced you to read it it is a little ambiguous out of context. The phrase is essentially a joke, something rueful, mocking, and very much an example of Shakespearean humour. In context it represents the ordinary person's simmering frustrations with law and legal practice. Bemused by the lengthy, sermonizing way the lawyers trudge through their deliberations and arguments the people, already sure of who is to be blame and how punishment should be dispensed, feel that the quickest way to ensure justice is done is to kill the lawyers then pronounce the verdict themselves. Episodically I believe it represents the people's response to the alleged abuse at Penny's Day Care, the communities verdict that she is guilty and their frustration with Law Enforcement's and the Millennium Group's more considered, open minded approach to reaching a conclusion.

Shakespeare this earlier in the week who's have thought it :)

Best wishes,

Eth