X-Files "MillenniuM"

Rate this topic

Guest Zalian

I really enjoyed all of the MillenniuM episodes (Somehow Satan Got Behind Me is the sole exception). I also enjoyed the X-files episode MillenniuM. I was a bit turned off by the "zombie" aspect of it, but you could easily explain that the Millennium Group injected a modified prionic disease (like Mad Cow Disease) into the members before they committed "suicide". This idea has been spoken of in research and is the basis for the zombies in the movie "Zombieland". The Group had already used prions when modifying the Marburg variant that they experimented with, so its not even a stretch.

The X-File/Millennium episode didn't get a lot of praise from the fans, so you have a lot of company with the zombie thing, I wasn't fond of it either. To me, bringing back an old villian that got away, or a copycat, would have been better, or just simply someone Frank knew.

Somehow Satan Got Behind me is one of those episodes I think that you either like it or you don't, there's no middle ground. Some people have said that it didn't fit in with the rest of the shows episodes, but at the same time, it was also a break away from them. Another episode that some have said didn't fit into the show was ...Thirteen Years Later. I'm pretty sure there's a middle ground with that one. I for one didn't enjoy it, but then again, I'm not a Kiss fan either.

• Elders (Moderators)

Welcome to the board, Zalian.

That's an intriguing idea. It's been a long time since I watched that episode but I remember thinking that as a crossover it didn't fit very well with either show, although maybe a bit better with XF than MM. There was an XF episode that involved voodoo, but also a drug that put people into a kind of suspended animation. It is posibble to think (within the confines of science fiction) that a drug could be produced that affected only the brain, as in prions, and induce a human version of hibernation. And then the Group could implant some beliefs, such as earthly resurrection and immunity to being killed. There are cases of people continuing to function despite being shot or tasered because of drugs or psychosis.

I think that if your idea of a scientific basis/conspiracy could have been alluded to, the episode would have made more sense. I do recall Frank Spotnitz saying that they all thought it was a great idea to have a follow-up MM story on the X-Files, but only later realised how difficult that would be.

I'll have to watch the episode again (but not the last bit - that was just pandering to the shippers).

The X-File/Millennium episode didn't get a lot of praise from the fans, so you have a lot of company with the zombie thing, I wasn't fond of it either. To me, bringing back an old villian that got away, or a copycat, would have been better, or just simply someone Frank knew.

Somehow Satan Got Behind me is one of those episodes I think that you either like it or you don't, there's no middle ground. Some people have said that it didn't fit in with the rest of the shows episodes, but at the same time, it was also a break away from them. Another episode that some have said didn't fit into the show was ...Thirteen Years Later. I'm pretty sure there's a middle ground with that one. I for one didn't enjoy it, but then again, I'm not a Kiss fan either.

Oddly I did like the other Darin Morgan episode Jose Chung's Doomsday Defense. It was just about the only way humor could be injected into the show.

...Thirteen Years Later was a bit of a let-down too. Just kinda cheesy and unrealistic. As a fan of KISS, I did like trying to figure out which role each member of the band had cameoed in.

Thanks Libby. I've been visiting the site since it was the "Desktop". I finally finished the entire series from beginning-to-end and I can now participate without fear of spoilers.

I really enjoyed all of the MillenniuM episodes (Somehow Satan Got Behind Me is the sole exception). I also enjoyed the X-files episode MillenniuM. I was a bit turned off by the "zombie" aspect of it, but you could easily explain that the Millennium Group injected a modified prionic disease (like Mad Cow Disease) into the members before they committed "suicide". This idea has been spoken of in research and is the basis for the zombies in the movie "Zombieland". The Group had already used prions when modifying the Marburg variant that they experimented with, so its not even a stretch.

Welcome to the board. I like your idea of the Group using a prionic disease in this episode. The Millennium Group did seem to have a vast knowledge of diseases and drugs.So why not.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest DezarasPrime

I don't see the problem with this episode...Yes it had zombies, something MM didn't have, and may not have fit into the MM side. But Chris Carter's vision for MM was all but lost when Morgan and Wong took over. They introduced an apparently supernatural hand, the crucifixion cross (that actually worked!!!), and let's not forget Lucy Butler and Legion!!! MM had a lot of XF type story elements to it so I don't have a problem with zombies. However I would've liked to have seen Watts as one of the zombies...

It apparently had to be an X-Files episode. It was OK. It wasn't "Millennium," but it wasn't supposed to be, or so we've been told...

At least it was a nice homage to Frank.

There's a recent discussion thread that was either started or elaborated on by "Not bad for a human" that discussed how the Frank Black character may have been more suited for the following episode "Orison," given Frank's investigative specialties, as well as Chris Carter's statement that one of his main ideas for Millennium was from the episode "Irresistable," which was the prequel to Orison. I can't change the past, but it may have been an easier way to service a third main character. Orison was written by Chip Johannessen too. Who better to write for Frank Black than the season 3 showrunner and writer of several great Millennium episodes?

Even if they had to ditch the Millennium episode, I would have liked to see Orison as a two parter if it included our favorite criminal profiler doing what he does best!

If I can dream...

:rock2:

• 1 month later...

It really just felt like a guest role. On that level, I enjoyed the episode. On the bigger repercussions of the off the cuff comment of what became of the MM group and Frank himself within the episode I would be happy for that to be ignored if the campaign is successful in bringing Frank back in any form.

• 1 month later...

At least 1013 pays some homage to their shows that the network cancelled. There are some "in-joke" like pieces, like Special agent Fossa, in X-Files 2, a character name from the ill-fated "Harsh Realm." There are also other episodes like "Jump the Shark," that tried to do what the X-Files episode "Millennium" did for Frank Black. Fortunately they did not kill off Frank like they did to the Lone Gunmen. At least Millennium had a tangible ending. The Lone Gunmen got cut right in the middle of a 2-parter.

:rock2:

• 10 months later...

i'm still kind of pissed off at the X-Files episode, which (despite what the makers might say) is the closure of "MillenniuM". i'm a big X-Files fan as well, but season 7 is really the worst season with the original agents. there's lots and lots of ep.s that doesn't have any X-Files feel to them at all, about half are comedy or experimental eps, so i don't really see the problem with making 2 shows for the new millennium with Frank Black playing a big part. bring in some of the supernatural elements, possibly following from seven and one, while also dealing with the MillenniuM group, and i'm pretty sure that most X-Files fans would have enjoyed it a lot more than episodes like "All Things" and "The Great Maleeni", etc, etc. a huge let down from the fantastic season finale of M.3..