The History Of Lucy Butler

Rate this topic

Guest lilblackgirl

• Elders (Moderators)

I tend to think that "Lucy" (whoever/whatever the heck she was) stole the appearance of Annie Martin, much in the same way something or someone presumably took the identity of Al Pepper.

Hi all,

Whilst I appreciate this is not a canonical work and therefor shouldn't be appraised as such I was interested to read the Millennium Timelines insert on this issue. It states that "1911 - Annie Martin takes the name Lucy Butler after striking a deal to prevent the changing of her 'nature.' A Room With No View."

Whilst I don't agree with this, for countless reasons, I am still curious to know if such a thing is supported in the narrative? I certainly don't remember this being explained in the episode. I wondered if such a conclusion was reached after Landon asserts that those who have been captured are eventually given a new name.

Anyone else reach the same conclusion as above?

Best wishes,

Eth

I tend to think that "Lucy" (whoever/whatever the heck she was) stole the appearance of Annie Martin, much in the same way something or someone presumably took the identity of Al Pepper.

Yes, that's how I take it. Pepper had been a different sort of lawyer before he become possessed.

Guest SouthernCelt

I may have difficulty expressing this to clarify why I think Lucy and Pepper were different...but here goes:

I always took it that Lucy (in the appearance of Annie) and Pepper were manifestations of Legion; however, Lucy was a persona that Legion created when necessary while Pepper's physical form was mortal but was controlled/possessed by Legion. Lucy put in multiple appearances while Pepper basically bit the dust at the end of "his" episode, or so we must believe since he never again showed up.

While Pepper was possessed, Legion could cause Frank to see him in other forms, to wit the walk through the supermarket when his appearance varied insofar as what Frank saw, just as Frank was able to see the psychic side of the killing of Pepper's physical body as an energy burst while to eveyone else it appeared to be well-placed bullet from a handgun. I drew the conclusion that the energy burst to drive out Legion and the bullet to take out Pepper both occurred so that if Legion wanted to assume Pepper's appearance again, it would have to do so with a creation of its own and not be able to control a mortal. Heck of a way to be exorcised: "I've got good news and bad news. The good news is that I can drive Legion out; the bad news is you have to die!"

To me "A Room With No View" is an important episode that shows insight in explaining the whole Legion concept:

In Lamentation we see Belcher witness the shadowy transformation between Lucy and Long Hair Man at top of the stairs, and along with a demon.

Therefore i believe that Legion hold many demons in one entity, in which is Lucy.

post-569-1207617490_thumb.jpg

post-569-1207617498_thumb.jpg

post-569-1207617507_thumb.jpg

I may have difficulty expressing this to clarify why I think Lucy and Pepper were different...but here goes:

I always took it that Lucy (in the appearance of Annie) and Pepper were manifestations of Legion; however, Lucy was a persona that Legion created when necessary while Pepper's physical form was mortal but was controlled/possessed by Legion. Lucy put in multiple appearances while Pepper basically bit the dust at the end of "his" episode, or so we must believe since he never again showed up.

While Pepper was possessed, Legion could cause Frank to see him in other forms, to wit the walk through the supermarket when his appearance varied insofar as what Frank saw, just as Frank was able to see the psychic side of the killing of Pepper's physical body as an energy burst while to eveyone else it appeared to be well-placed bullet from a handgun. I drew the conclusion that the energy burst to drive out Legion and the bullet to take out Pepper both occurred so that if Legion wanted to assume Pepper's appearance again, it would have to do so with a creation of its own and not be able to control a mortal. Heck of a way to be exorcised: "I've got good news and bad news. The good news is that I can drive Legion out; the bad news is you have to die!"

What a superb discription!

I think sometimes we are over eager in labelling individuals 'Legion' and agree that whilst some characters certainly comprise the mythos there are others who were mere functionaries or servitors. Lucy is one of those characters who is clearly not manifest in the physical, her form is evidently not her true countenance and I always conceived, abstractly, Lucy to be akin to a Queen Bee: the nexus of Legion subsociality if you wish. Your points regarding any potential appearance by Legion in 'Peppers' form are absolutely fascinating. I agree that Legion is able to manifest demonic constructs of those it once possessed in the physical, chances are this was the fate of Annie Martin who more than likely met her end of the mortal coil allowing Legion to adopt her physicality as part of its repertoire. This seems a more plausible explanation than the timelines assertion that Annie Martin simply adopted the name Lucy Butler in exchange for her freedom.

Best wishes,

Eth

What a superb discription!

I think sometimes we are over eager in labelling individuals 'Legion' and agree that whilst some characters certainly comprise the mythos there are others who were mere functionaries or servitors. Lucy is one of those characters who is clearly not manifest in the physical, her form is evidently not her true countenance and I always conceived, abstractly, Lucy to be akin to a Queen Bee: the nexus of Legion subsociality if you wish. Your points regarding any potential appearance by Legion in 'Peppers' form are absolutely fascinating. I agree that Legion is able to manifest demonic constructs of those it once possessed in the physical, chances are this was the fate of Annie Martin who more than likely met her end of the mortal coil allowing Legion to adopt her physicality as part of its repertoire. This seems a more plausible explanation than the timelines assertion that Annie Martin simply adopted the name Lucy Butler in exchange for her freedom.

Best wishes,

Eth

Lucy is short for Lucifer

Butler is a servant

therefore she is Lucifer's Servant......a demon in charge of her own Legion

Guest SouthernCelt
Doesn't pepper change into a demon and then into Lucy in the episode where Samual takes out the demon? I think it's while walking through a market?

Yes, but in the sense that Frank saw him go through various incarnate forms. The way it was shot and presented seemed to indicate that only Frank had the capability to see any form other than Pepper.