Snow Files of the Week

Rate this topic

• Elders (Moderators)

I think the album can be bought from iTunes. And the CD version of it can be bought at Buysoundtrax.com.

Snow Files of the Week: "My beautiful airplane/Love Comfort/That's Melancholy" from "Les Herbes Folles (aka "Wild Grass", 2009)".

The movie marked the second collaboration between Alain Resnais and Mark Snow (after "Private Fears in Public Places"), two more would follow. The score is melancholic, supporting the beautiful and sometimes strange movie perfectly. The album is available digital and got a very limited release on double CD (together with the third Resnais/Snow collaboration "You ain't seen nothing yet") in France.

Enjoy!

• Elders (Moderators)

Thank you, Darlene.

Snow Files of the Week: "Candy" from "MillenniuM", episode "Closure" (1998).

In this season three episode of "MillenniuM", Special Agent Emma Hollis is confronted with her past and the violent death of her younger sister. Frank Black helps her to bring closure to this case and to fight her inner demons. Mark composed another beautiful piano theme to accompany Emma's quest. This theme reappears in the episode "Seven And One".

The track is taken from the first volume of music from "MillenniuM", released by La-La Land Records. The first edition, which was limited to 2.000 copies, sold out several years ago. Last year it was re-released, limited to 1.000 copies.

Enjoy!

It is always such a nice treat to hear the track you've posted, whether I have the album or not.  I always get my weekly dose of Mark, and then usually listen to one of his albums during the week.  I so appreciate you.

Perfect-Way-to-Say-Thank-You-Alex-With-A

• Elders (Moderators)

Thank you very much, Darlene. :)

Snow Files of the Week: "Joyride" from "Windham Hill's Winter Solstice On Ice" (1999).

And now for something completely different. This piece of music was composed by Mark for an ice skating special, featuring professional skaters like Brian Boitano, Yuka Sato, and Rahkamo & Kokko. It was released on the compilation album "Winter Solstice On Ice", together with the other compositions for the special. The CD can still be found used for reasonable prices.

Enjoy!

• Elders (Moderators)

Snow Files of the Week: "Main Title/The Pits/Cliffside Chase/Maggie Leaves" from "Jake Speed" (1986).

It's time for some cheesy 80's action. During the mid-80's, Mark began composing more electronic scores, after he bought a synclavier (which Mark still uses).

In 1986, "Jake Speed" came along and with him Mark's electronic 80's score. The score was released back then by Varese Sarabande Records on Vinyl and got a CD release just a few years ago on Buysoundtrax Records, limited to 1000 copies. If you're interested, they still have some copies, signed by Mark, left.

Enjoy the ride back to the 80's!

• Elders (Moderators)

Thank you, Darlene. :)

Snow Files of the Week: Suite from The X-Files episode "Post-Modern Prometheus" (1997).

For this episode, Snow composed a very unusual score. The main theme, a circus-dance-music-piece, is something, that you would expect from Danny Elfman, not from Snow. But Mark combines this music with a more somber tone for the grief of "The Great Mutato", who is looking for something we all do: Love.

And during Mutato's speech at the end of the episode, Mark again uses a piece of Tchaikovsky's "1812 Overture" within his score. This specific piece can also be heard in the MillenniuM episode "Lament".

The music was released as a promotional disc at first, later it got an offical release on La-La Land Records' first volume box of The X-Files music.

There is also a single disc with music from The X-Files, that was released in 2013 by BUYSOUNDTRAX.COM. "The X-Files 20th Anniversary" contains music from various seasons of the show, including the "Post-Modern Prometheus" music as a re-recording. The CD is limited to 1000 copies and is also available digitally.

Enjoy!

What a great series The X-Files is, and I truly believe part of what made it so good was Mark Snow's music.  Even though there are many composers out there that do a great job, nothing can compare to Mark's scores, and his awesome ability to bring you into the scene and story.

I especially appreciated seeing the picture of Mark sitting where he works.

Alex, am I correct in assuming that this is one of your videos, where you added the music to the screen shots and clips, or is this a C C creation?  If it's yours, excellent job.  :clapping: